Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trigger Points Plug 3 Wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jackba
I somehow pulled the 3 wires out of the plug that connects to the trigger points. One wire is darker than the two others. Does anyone know which wire goes where in the plug?
Thanks in advance,
Jack
Jackba
Here is a photo:
Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(Jackba @ Jan 8 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Here is a photo:
Click to view attachment

I believe the center is ground, the other 2 are the contacts.
Use an ohm meter to determine which is the ground, the wires are all supposed to be white.
Jackba
Once I detect the ground are the other two interchangeable?
JeffBowlsby
There is no 'ground'. Test the wires for continuity at the ECU plug. Wires 12, 21, 22. See attached diagram. Their order is critical.
Jackba
Well, I checked to determine which of the 3 was the ground wire and was surprised to see that all three are grounded...
Jackba
Thanks a million Jeff!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Jackba @ Jan 8 2019, 05:09 PM) *

Well, I checked to determine which of the 3 was the ground wire and was surprised to see that all three are grounded...

Ooohhh thats not good. wire 12 is common, but I dont think its ground, unless the ECU is telling it is ground. The trigger points are just two back to back switches, switched by the cam on the dizzy.
Tbrown4x4
Did you disconnect the ECU and just check which wires go to pins 12, 21, and 22 in the ECU connector?

Olympic 914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 8 2019, 07:41 PM) *

There is no 'ground'. Test the wires for continuity at the ECU plug. Wires 12, 21, 22. See attached diagram. Their order is critical.

Great diagram. beer.gif
jack20
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jan 9 2019, 08:04 AM) *

Did you disconnect the ECU and just check which wires go to pins 12, 21, and 22 in the ECU connector?

Thanks for the question. I haven't done anything yet. I hope to pull out the ECU and check continuity this weekend. I can't imagine there is anything seriously wrong because the car was running prior to pulling the distributor to change points and condenser. The leads pulled out of the plug during this process. Something simple turned into a PITA...
Tbrown4x4
I didn't mean to imply anything was wrong. I just meant you need to isolate the 3 wires electrically in order to trace them to their proper pins at the ECU connector.

jack20
Oh, got it. I was referring to Jeff's comment that has me a bit worried given his expertise on the system. I just hope it's nothing serious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.