Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914 engine upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Jon199
I am looking for a good 914 with a subie, 3.0 Porsche or other engine swap. Looking for solid daily driver. I am located in northeast.
Jon199
I am considering buying a 914 with a 2.0 WRX engine and 914 transmission. The original wiring harness has been replaced, but never finished. The owner says it would need a new harness. I am not a mechanic, so I am looking for some information to help me understand what my mechanic is up against, as well as my wallet. My mechanic has no Porsche experience, but he is highly skilled. The car looks good, but has been painted and looks to have new carpet on the floor, so from the pictures, I cannot see the potential rust spots. I would look the car over before purchasing, but any information/advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jon
9144me2enjoy
FYI: If you would post this question over on 914 World Garage, you would probably get faster replies! Happy New Year
theer
Hey Jon,

welcome.png

Are you looking at the metallic green 914 in CT? That was for sale a while ago in NY (Albany area) for quite a bit less $$.

As to your question: your mechanic will need be more knowledgeable about Subarus than Porsches in my opinion. The 914 is a very uncomplicated car so that part of it should be easy, or at least easier.

The difficulty in getting a non-running project going will be trying to figure out has and has not been done. In this case, it will be the electronics around the WRX motor, controller, etc.

I'm sure you can get a new harness - plenty of these conversions have been done - and maybe hooking it all up will be all that's necessary... but maybe not.

Also, lot's of help here at 914 World if you decide to take the plunge.

Good luck!

Tom
(also in the Northeast)

Chi-town
If you need a harness to get it running check out https://www.iwireservices.com/
They are the best there is when it comes to Subaru swap harnesses.
Jon199
QUOTE(theer @ Jan 10 2019, 10:21 AM) *

Hey Jon,

welcome.png

Are you looking at the metallic green 914 in CT? That was for sale a while ago in NY (Albany area) for quite a bit less $$.

As to your question: your mechanic will need be more knowledgeable about Subarus than Porsches in my opinion. The 914 is a very uncomplicated car so that part of it should be easy, or at least easier.

The difficulty in getting a non-running project going will be trying to figure out has and has not been done. In this case, it will be the electronics around the WRX motor, controller, etc.

I'm sure you can get a new harness - plenty of these conversions have been done - and maybe hooking it all up will be all that's necessary... but maybe not.

Also, lot's of help here at 914 World if you decide to take the plunge.

Good luck!

Tom
(also in the Northeast)

Thanks for the reference chi-town!

Tom, I am looking at the green 914 in ct. just nervous of what could be covered up with new upholstery. Any chance you can remember what it was listed for in NY? That might come in handy. Thanks for the feedback Tom. I am pretty much obsessed with the idea of a 914 with real power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.