Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bench test 1.8l w/ FI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John90290
About got my engine done and all back together. Sure would like to test run it before I put it back in the car. I’ve seen folks online do this with carb’d engines and figure the basic battery connections are similar but wanted to know where does the hook up come from for the FI system? I assume it’s through the cable that hooks up to the relay board on opposite side of car from battery?

I will film if I can figure it out.

Thanks!!

John
John90290
Found this and wonder what the correct hook up would be? Don't want to fry my computer. I really wonder about number III "Switched Ground to FP relay" and if it's necessary if i have the FP wired to the battery on it's own switch for bench testing purposes.

-John
dr914@autoatlanta.com
1.8 goes through the dual relay and the only thing that plugs into the four prong is the yellow wire from the ignition harness to the right rear spade

QUOTE(John90290 @ Jan 9 2019, 09:47 PM) *

About got my engine done and all back together. Sure would like to test run it before I put it back in the car. I’ve seen folks online do this with carb’d engines and figure the basic battery connections are similar but wanted to know where does the hook up come from for the FI system? I assume it’s through the cable that hooks up to the relay board on opposite side of car from battery?

I will film if I can figure it out.

Thanks!!

John
John90290
Still not sure on the proper hook up for this. Can’t find any videos or posts regarding bench testing an FI car. The 1.8 has the two relays, one FI and one fuel pump. Do I simply add the 12v to the FI relay per schematic along with the other battery hookups to starter and ground etc.? Put your n a lot of work on this think and don’t want to fry computer.

Thanks!
VaccaRabite
Just put it in the car.

For a carbed engine you only need 3 circuits to test it on a bench - fuel, ignition, main power. Easy to bench test.

For an EFI engine you will spend more time building the bench and wiring the harness then you will spend trouble shooting issues with the engine in the car. Just put it in the car.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
+1 on putting it in the car, just don't hook up the CV's
doug_b_928
I'd be interested to know the answer to the OPs question as well. In my case it won't be practical to put it back in the car because the car will still be stripped, including of its wiring harness (FYI mine is a 73 with 1.7 components mated to a 1.8 case). I'm planning to eventually build a stand, confirm it runs the engine as is, then rebuild the engine and test it on the stand before installing.

OP: if you look at post #164 on p. 9 of michelko's thread "Digging into hell" you'll see his run stand with the FI unit on it. I was thinking of mounting a relay board to the stand (and michelko may have done that; can't see in his pic). But that's in the future for me so I haven't given it much thought nor done much research yet.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.