Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: locating my old 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jb57tub
Hello, I am trying to locate my old 1972 914. I bought it new, picked it up in Osnabruek, Germany, shipped it to Chicago from London, then drove it home to Lincoln, Nebraska. Ex got the car in divorce, but it stayed in Lincoln for as long as I kept track of it. Car was Ivory white with appearance groupe, pedrinni wheels, black int. Car was maintained by Bud Dunclaw at Road and Track Motors in Lincoln. Unfortunately I don't have the VIN on the car. Last LP I had on the car was Nebraska, G-914. DMV won't work with me just for personal purposes, must be some type of legal action to get VIN info. Not even my 29 years in law enforcement would sway them. Any info I can get on this car would be helpful, and there will be a finder fee if I can locate the car. Thank you for any help with my quest. Jon Blocker
SteveL
I would think you could get the vin by reaching out to your old insurance agent or company, they should still have it on file.
iwanta914-6
Was it a Euro spec model? (ex. no "wart" turn signals)
bandjoey
File a freedom of information act with the DMC asking for the vin's of all cars ever registered to you?
914forme
A freedom of Information Act request is a Federal request unless the state you're dealing with was dumb enough to call the request the same thing. In my job I get these all the time, and we could just toss them all out due to improper wording. I am a nice guy and don't based on the fact I know the intent of the request. I have peers who don't care and file 13 the requests.

In Ohio the request you are looking for is a public records requests. And the information and access to the information is done on a state by state basis.

Information about the request and how it can be made are found here.

As it states they will only release information for a legal or regulatory body or agency. But as they recommend you may try the National Database of Vehicle Title Information System.

Nation VIN tracking was setup to follow cars being sold across stateliness in a not so honorable manner.

Best of luck to you, I would try other avenues to locate the VIN of the car, once you have that it makes tracing the vehicle much easier.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
vin is critical to any research, then a state authorized title clerk can take it from there, I agree with the previous post, your old insurance company! Also a title clerk could research the cars you have titled in your name

QUOTE(jb57tub @ Jan 10 2019, 10:11 AM) *

Hello, I am trying to locate my old 1972 914. I bought it new, picked it up in Osnabruek, Germany, shipped it to Chicago from London, then drove it home to Lincoln, Nebraska. Ex got the car in divorce, but it stayed in Lincoln for as long as I kept track of it. Car was Ivory white with appearance groupe, pedrinni wheels, black int. Car was maintained by Bud Dunclaw at Road and Track Motors in Lincoln. Unfortunately I don't have the VIN on the car. Last LP I had on the car was Nebraska, G-914. DMV won't work with me just for personal purposes, must be some type of legal action to get VIN info. Not even my 29 years in law enforcement would sway them. Any info I can get on this car would be helpful, and there will be a finder fee if I can locate the car. Thank you for any help with my quest. Jon Blocker
jb57tub
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I am actively trying to get a VIN number. Trying all avenues I can. I know this is a shot in the dark, but something I have to try. George I actually met you about 5 years ago when my father and I stopped in your shop when we went to the Masters golf championships. We actually stayed west of Atlanta and had to drive through to get to the tournament. Liked your shop and enjoyed talking with you. Again thanks for everyones help, Jon
Mark Henry
It would be wise to remove your email and phone number, it can attract unwanted attention. Any member can post here or through PM which notifies you through your email. shades.gif

welcome.png
ConeDodger
First of all, don’t ever put your email address in a post. It will not be a pleasant experience.
Have someone sue you? Claim an interest in the car?
914forme
Rob is correct getting a lien on the car will stop it dead in its tracks upon transfer of title if it does come up for sale again.

Also have you checked with your mechanic? Any work I do on any car I have the VIN in my system. Most of the time it is my own cars, but even when I help someone out, I grab the VIN. It does come in handy at times.
theer
If the original purchase was financed, you may be able to backtrack through a UCC/lien filing under your name. But that was a long time ago...

OR - did you ever get a ticket in the car? If so, your law enforcement connections might be able to find a record with the VIN?

Good luck!
bbrock
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 10 2019, 02:07 PM) *

It would be wise to remove your email and phone number, it can attract unwanted attention. Any member can post here or through PM which notifies you through your email. shades.gif

welcome.png

There are automated bots swarming the Internet collecting any email addresses they find and selling them to spammers. I've had email addresses rendered completely useless because a well-meaning funder posted my contact on their web site for grants I had received.

Good luck finding your car! beerchug.gif
jb57tub
Thanks for the heads up. deleted the email address and phone number. All I need is more spam or legal problems! Jon. Just went through my third and hopefully my last round of brain surgery and things are upside down enough for now!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(jb57tub @ Jan 10 2019, 04:27 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up. deleted the email address and phone number. All I need is more spam or legal problems! Jon. Just went through my third and hopefully my last round of brain surgery and things are upside down enough for now!

OK now need George to modify his posting as he replied to the original which had the email and phone #posted .
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(jb57tub @ Jan 10 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Did you buy it new from the Factory, or through a dealer? You should be able to contact where you bought it, they might ave records. If you bought it new, there was a warranty in your name somewhere at Porsche. The Kardex has always been seen as the Birth Certificate of the early Porsche, when it fact it was the warranty card. Like Deep Throat said, "Follow the money!" Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.