Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I manually crank my 1974 914 2.0 engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seth Johns
Can I manually crank my 1974 914 2.0 engine?

I have the engine and drive train on the bench and want to confirm it is not seized up. If I remove the spark plugs, how can I turn it over without using the starter?
mgphoto
With the plugs out, loosen the alternator belt, spin the fan...
Seth Johns
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jan 10 2019, 06:35 PM) *

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.
Seth Johns
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jan 10 2019, 06:35 PM) *

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.
falcor75
Just be carefull when you grab the fan, the fan blades can be quite brittle. Dont use them for leverage.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Seth Johns @ Jan 10 2019, 08:30 PM) *

Can I manually crank my 1974 914 2.0 engine?

I have the engine and drive train on the bench and want to confirm it is not seized up. If I remove the spark plugs, how can I turn it over without using the starter?

You should be able to turn it by rhe flywheel with the spark plugs it.
Bruce
Chi-town
Put 12 volts to the starter. If the starter won't crank it, it's frozen.
UROpartsman
Naturally it depends on the history of that engine (recent mechanical failure or it's been sitting outside for 30 years?), but if there's one or more seized pistons and you use the starter, there's a chance a rod could bend, just like if a cylinder had water in it. Use Bruce or Mgphoto's advice just to be safe.
Seth Johns
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jan 11 2019, 09:13 AM) *

Naturally it depends on the history of that engine (recent mechanical failure or it's been sitting outside for 30 years?), but if there's one or more seized pistons and you use the starter, there's a chance a rod could bend, just like if a cylinder had water in it. Use Bruce or Mgphoto's advice just to be safe.

I know, been there, done that...

Thanks for your reply.
jsaum
When's the last time the engine ran? Has it been sitting long? If it is froze up and hasn't been sitting long I would try pouring Marvels Mystery Oil down the plug holes and let it soak for a few days then see if you can free it up. If not pull the heads and see what you got going on in there.
stugray
If you have a couple pieces of pipe, rebar, etc: Put two of the old CV joint bolts (ones you will throw out) into both hubs on the trans. Put the trans in 5th. Put one piece of pipe in one side of the trans so it jams against the workbench.

Turn the opposite side with another piece of pipe and this will turn the engine.
ClayPerrine
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Take a 13mm socket, put it on the end of a 8 inch extension. Use a long ratchet and turn the bolt in the middle of the fan like you are tightening it. If it is not frozen, it will turn the engine.

Seth Johns
Nailed!
Turns over easily, no bbroken fan blades.
Next is bench testing. All comments on the best set up and procedures are welcome.
Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.