Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to source -- Heater Cable End Clamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moldygreg
Hi all-

After an hour of doing battle trying to install a lovely new heater cable from 914 Rubber, I discovered the tunnel must be pinched at the firewall.

I can get a cable through, but not with the end crimp.

Where can I source a Heater cable end clamp? And what size(s) do I need. I see bicycle cable caps, but that's not large nor robust enough.

Many thanks in advance-

Greg
mepstein
I had a similar issue so I bent the tube just a little bit to lessen the curvature. I inserted a Phillips screwdriver in the tube and gave it a little nudge. That and lubing the cable made it work. You can also trim the solid end crimp by a couple mm so it will make the curve but still have enough length to be secured.
moldygreg
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2019, 08:48 PM) *

I had a similar issue so I bent the tube just a little bit to lessen the curvature. I inserted a Phillips screwdriver in the tube and gave it a little nudge. That and lubing the cable made it work. You can also trim the solid end crimp by a couple mm so it will make the curve but still have enough length to be secured.

Thank you... I actually did that as well. Blew air and lubed it up. One side is great the driver-side is giving me fits. Might give trimming a shot as well.

Still would be curious if anyone has thoughts on where to source the crimps/clamps.
mepstein
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Jan 10 2019, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2019, 08:48 PM) *

Thank you... I actually did that as well. Blew air and lubed it up. One side is great the driver-side is giving me fits. Might give trimming a shot as well.

Still would be curious if anyone has thoughts on where to source the crimps/clamps.

914 rubber has them. They make the cables in house.
LowBridge
AA also sells them...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes yes, go through the back access plate under the center tray and just put a bit of pressure with a bit screwdriver at the worst place of the bend. Also lube the tube with spray grease

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2019, 09:48 PM) *

bbrock
In addition to what has been suggested, I picked up a set of wire tubing brushes at HF for a few bucks and use them to clean and smooth the insides of the cable tubes, then spray them with lubricant/rust protection before installing new cables. My car was probably a worst case but I've been amazed how much crap comes out of those tubes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.