Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rubber Headlight Restoration Kit Group Buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Matty900
We have made all of the parts needed to restore your pop up headlights. We are just finalizing the headlight adjuster screws (that are always stripped out.)
We have made:
-New white and black headlight surrounds
-New Pivot Shaft bushings
-New Push Rods (for the Late Cars)
-New Splash Guards (for the Early Cars)
-New Brush's
-New Adjuster Screws (These are still in process so they will not be in the kits. You will be able to order them later if you need them)
-New Adjuster Blocks
-Color matched paint for restoring the housing
-Option for new LED Headlights
-Option for New Headlight Globes
-New "Eyebrow" Grommets
-New Cad Plated 2 hole and 3 hole backing plates.
-New improved Headlight Wiring Harness grommets
-New Wiring Harness Anti Chafing edge protectors (for Late cars)

This should be a great project and satisfying to complete.

You can buy most of these parts now on the new website but we will have a group buy for the Restoration Kit for 914 World Members first.

Who wants one? beerchug.gif
mb911
I am interested.
soccerplyr
How much?

TravisNeff
In for a set
TravisNeff
In for a set
913B
I am interested
Matty900
QUOTE(soccerplyr @ Jan 11 2019, 07:06 PM) *

How much?

I will know next week. I will add it as soon as I have it. I will need to make a few different versions of it depending on what year you need it for as they will take slightly different parts.
pilothyer
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Jan 12 2019, 12:19 AM) *

QUOTE(soccerplyr @ Jan 11 2019, 07:06 PM) *

How much?

I will know next week. I will add it as soon as I have it. I will need to make a few different versions of it depending on what year you need it for as they will take slightly different parts.

Interested in this.
BPic
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Jan 11 2019, 09:22 PM) *

We have made all of the parts needed to restore your pop up headlights. We are just finalizing the headlight adjuster screws (that are always stripped out.)
We have made:
-New Brush's
-New Adjuster Screws
-New Adjuster Blocks
-New "Eyebrow" Grommets

You can buy most of these parts now on the new website but we will have a group buy for the Restoration Kit for 914 World Members first.

Interested
ConeDodger
Mine has the GT pull cable system and I think the surrounds are pretty good.
But I’d take a set of black surrounds and a targa bar pad... blink.gif poke.gif
altitude411
I'm interested in this as well. shades.gif
cal914
I’m interested
rmdinmd
interested for one
Matty900
Here are some of the new headlight surrounds
dlee6204
Interested
sbsix
Interested in the early version
56kabrio
I’m interested in a set.

Thanks

Mack
mb911
Darn just bought headlight surrounds so don't need them.. I should have read that better..
Minerva's 914
ME,me,me. Pretty please. I'm in for the early whites.
amfab
Interested depending upon price
cn2800
I’ll need an early (white) kit.
BFMako
Put me down for a set. 72 black
Mikey914
The GB will have several "options" the main selling point is of course the surrounds, but the brushes that have been NLA for forever and the rubber flap with the metal holder and even the screw are available in the GB.

Many of you have know we have made the adjuster stops for years, we finally made an improved version of the adjuster screw also. So while it is a "kit" and you will be able to buy the parts individually, we have set up the greatest discount for the entire package.

Matt is also working on instructions for this also. The flap is not as intuitive as you would think. So you will be able to follow along (at least for the early as it's the most complicated).

There are some variation on the "early" vs "late" in the arms and bushings. and will have the "late" (black) surrounds.

We saw the need for the white version as these were being sold used in the $100+ range.

An interesting note - when we went to match the color we had 3 sets and they varied in shades, even had a nice set that was smooth. So we sanded the inside of the housing and determined they were actually all the same color. The smooth one worried us as it would have meant another set of dies. On a hunch (as it was more of an antique white color) I sanded the outside. I found that someone had done a very nice job of restoring a set using a lot of paint and sanding a few times. SO the mystery was solved.

We will have more information on how we will package the GB later in the week. I can tell you this will make a nice Saturday afternoon project (maybe weekend if you repaint the housing - with paint we can include).

Thanks to all for your support while I've been away at the day job, I'm just about done and ready to come back with many more parts!
Mark
914-300Hemi
I’m interested
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would buy a quantity of the surrounds, are they textured Mark and Matt?
mgphoto
I’m interested also.
VoPo914
I'm interested.
Matty900
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 14 2019, 11:32 AM) *

I would buy a quantity of the surrounds, are they textured Mark and Matt?

Yes, the texture came out great
bbrock
I'll be in for a few of the individual parts.
Camaro Mike
I'd be interested
Camaro Mike
I'd be interested
markhoward
me too
peteyd
Im in for an early set
enikolayev
Interested in a set
gandalf_025
I wonder how many of us with Early Cars have surrounds
that look something like this ??
I can't even blame the DAPO.... I painted them in 1973.
These repro's would make life a lot easier....

I even cut my rear valance down to look like a later one...

DOH...

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jan 18 2019, 11:59 AM) *

DOH...

Click to view attachment

Most of the white headlight surrounds I pick up have been painted black. I'm all for the new ones that 914 rubber are making but the old ones can be brought back. I remove the paint by soaking in mineral spirits and then a long soak in bleach. This usually gets them back to a light cream, not bright white. After this process, if I'm not satisfied, I just paint them white with white plastic paint. If I know I am going to paint them, I skip the soaks and just bead blast them and paint. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy repos, I just don't want people to throw away the originals thinking they are ruined.
gandalf_025
I agree, I wouldn't throw away anything I still have that was original to my car, but these repro surrounds will save a bunch of time and aggravation trying to make the
originals look good..
The originals will go into a box with a bunch of other stuff I have taken off over the past 45 years... They will be there if and when the next owner takes possession of the car when I'm dead and buried....
Mike D.
Interested! (in possible 2 set) smile.gif
eric914
Me too:)
tailwind22
Interested in 1970 white
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2019, 09:46 AM) *

DOH...

Click to view attachment

Most of the white headlight surrounds I pick up have been painted black. I'm all for the new ones that 914 rubber are making but the old ones can be brought back. I remove the paint by soaking in mineral spirits and then a long soak in bleach. This usually gets them back to a light cream, not bright white. After this process, if I'm not satisfied, I just paint them white with white plastic paint. If I know I am going to paint them, I skip the soaks and just bead blast them and paint. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy repos, I just don't want people to throw away the originals thinking they are ruined.

The problem is you loose the texture. So yes, you can even paint black ones white, but again the paint does fill some of the texture.

These are coming online this next week and will be shipping by Friday.
PMs will go out mid week so sign up now if you want the deal.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 19 2019, 06:53 PM) *

DOH...

Click to view attachment

The problem is you loose the texture. So yes, you can even paint black ones white, but again the paint does fill some of the texture.

agree.gif another needed piece for our cars. beerchug.gif
BPic

DOH...

Click to view attachment

@Mikey914 Do you have a price yet?
don-6
Interested in an early kit with white surrounds.
tyfighter123
Interested
Mikey914
QUOTE(BPic @ Jan 19 2019, 04:35 PM) *

DOH...

Click to view attachment

@Mikey914 Do you have a price yet?

Yes will be posting up Monday. We are compiling a complete kit that will have the surrounds, screws and clip nuts , as well as the pivot bushings , arms (for the late (bushings for the early metal arm, to the headlight adjuster backs and even the new screws we just made for this "kit" will run a separate GB for just the screws as we made them with an improvement over factory. The full kit will even include the paint and zip ties to hold the wiring. Also working on the install instructions to help out. Both early and late versions.
TonyA
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Jan 11 2019, 09:22 PM) *

We have made:
-New Brush's
-New Adjuster Screws
-New Adjuster Blocks
-New "Eyebrow" Grommets

I am interested
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Jan 13 2019, 07:00 AM) *

ME,me,me. Pretty please. I'm in for the early whites.

Hey, I was wondering what happened to this GB. When it first appeared I went to the 914rubber website, was redirected to the new website where I looked at the white headlight surrounds and was very interested but thought I'd wait for the group buy to see if I might go that route instead.

There's been nothing on the GB and now I can't find the white surrounds on the new site, nor the old.

Did I miss something?
tmc914
I am interested in a LED headlight upgrade.
wurthBob
I am interested too!

Thank you

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.