Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs ,Fake or real
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
From this pic is it possiable to tell if this is a real or fake Fuch,I suspect the later
Click to view attachment
Thanks B
914Sixer
Real. 901 part number stamped on it.
mepstein
looks real. Show the other stampings on the back - date, size, ect and the front. Most fakes don't have the right pedal or lip.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
real

QUOTE(cal914 @ Jan 12 2019, 01:55 PM) *

From this pic is it possiable to tell if this is a real or fake Fuch,I suspect the later

Thanks B
mgphoto
Looks real, but need more photos, other side picture of size? look for fox head stamp?
burton73
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jan 12 2019, 01:06 PM) *

Looks real, but need more photos, other side picture of size? look for fox head stamp?

agree.gif

Bob B
cal914
Click to view attachment
This is the other stamp I could find
sixnotfour
big bucks hearts in the spokes..

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-911s-coupe-2/
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 12 2019, 05:02 PM) *

big bucks hearts in the spokes

I just sold one (heart) that was nice but could use refinishing for $700. Complete sets can bring $3-4.5K.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jan 12 2019, 04:06 PM) *

Real, sometimes the fox head is missing or so faint it's hard to see. Good find. smile.gif
Larmo63
You seem to have scored on that wheel.

Did you get a full set?
mepstein
The date will be on the inner ring on the back of the wheel. With early wheels, dates matter.
mgphoto
Hearts as they say are special, a small bulge over the valve stem hole forming a heart shape in that section of the wheel.
I have a set of 5 1/2 x 15 on my car. I love the look!
Bulldozer27
I'm gonna say fake based on my own 5-lug 15X6s and other real ones that I have seen.

1. The fox head is not on the second line below the part number.

2. Based on those photos, the part numbers and sizes are all stamped, not raised numbers above the surface that were the result of the forging process.

Having said that, I just swapped out mine for new 16X7 Maxilites because I'm too much of a CSOB to pay for real ones.
billsimmeth
Real. The triangle with the "P" inside shown in the 2nd picture is Porsche's proprietary mark for genuine parts.
don-6
The Samba site is filled with dealers selling aftermarket EMPI Fuchs wheels with hearts.

IMOHO I believe the pictures posted in this thread are real Fuchs wheels.
defianty
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 14 2019, 12:44 AM) *

You need to refocus your eyes they are raised part #'s and sizes. These are real and to seal the deal no one makes fake Fuchs with hearts.

Yep definitely real and raised part numbers etc.

Actually Mike Group 4 Wheels in the UK make fake Fuchs with hearts and also Flat 4 in Japan.

http://www.group4wheels.com/wheels_dp6.php

https://www.flat4.co.jp/english/dtail-dr.html#DR-674
jmitro
FWIW I thought the numbers were stamped also, but I'm no Fuchs expert popcorn[1].gif
jos.hall
the part numbers on the back is the key. Someone show us a replica fuchs wheel with the 901. or 911. part numbers on the back
BK911
Didn't know the 901 Fuchs were 6J, thought they were just 6.
Larmo63
The Fuchs (Fox) logo can be stamped with black ink, haphazardly.

Most of the time faint, or gone altogether.
burton73
Example of one of my 6 x 15

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PotterPorsche
Those are real. The fakes don’t have smooth corners on the back side.
mepstein
Fake fuchs can look pretty good until you see them up against real fuchs and then they look wrong.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jos.hall @ Jan 15 2019, 02:49 AM) *

the part numbers on the back is the key. Someone show us a replica fuchs wheel with the 901. or 911. part numbers on the back

agree.gif Porsche turns a blind eye to the repops, but if you're a biz don't call them Porsche or fuchs, same goes with the part numbers and logos.

On the logo i'm sure companies like EMPI must be paying Porsche a royalty for center caps, but in the adverts they're just called a "Logo center cap".
BK911
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 15 2019, 10:13 AM) *

Interesting point there BK.
I've had several sets of deep 6s and all were 6*15.
Never saw s 6J*15.
sixnotfour
bead types,,,,
sixnotfour
cant tell if these are 6 or 9 av-943.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 16 2019, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Jan 15 2019, 10:13 AM) *

Interesting point there BK.
I've had several sets of deep 6s and all were 6*15.
Never saw s 6J*15.

Deep six with heart 6J X 15
For comparison flat six also 6J X 15

Let me know if anyone needs any other pics for examples, we have FUCHS, and more FUCHS.

but remember when it comes to Porsche, never say never, they changed things constantly and the obsession that we show towards correctness had very little in comparison to what they were doing when they were building these cars.
sixnotfour
Adam what is the date on your deep 6J ? 70/71
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 16 2019, 12:06 PM) *

Adam what is the date on your deep 6J ? 70/71

I'm guessing 10/69, but it could also be 10/68, hard to read.
Here is a non-heart deep six, dated 11/70, also 6J X 15.
mepstein
"but remember when it comes to Porsche, never say never, they changed things constantly and the obsession that we show towards correctness had very little in comparison to what they were doing when they were building these cars."

So true. People are trying to make their cars "more correct" than the way they came from the factory. The upside down numbers are common as well as 15's labeled as 16's, 7's & 8's and visa versa. I really like Fuchs as wheels but the whole date code thing is boring.
Mark Henry
agree.gif

So true, goes for all Porsche and VW parts. The workers didn't give a crap if they were pulling parts in correct numbers order, and both are well known for using up last years parts on next years car. Long before inventory tracking, they just grabbed shit from the bin, shelf... whatever what was tossed at them.
Unobtanium-inc
There is a funny story I heard one time about a guy who went to one of the PCA parades. There happened to be a bunch of Factory guys there, I think it was an annivasary of some sort. A guy was restoring his Carrera Speedster and he asked one of the Factory guy's if he had worked on the Carrera's. "Yah" was the answer. He was like "oh good" and proceeded to ask him if there was a template for all of the extra holes they drilled to lighten the cars, so they could put the holes in right place while restoring the car. The Factory guy said,"Vat, Vat, ve drill, ve drill, ve drill till we beat Ferrari!"

There are no absolutes in the world of Porsche.
sixnotfour
So true. People are trying to make their cars "more correct" than the way they came from the factory. The upside down numbers are common as well as 15's labeled as 16's, 7's & 8's and visa versa. I really like Fuchs as wheels but the whole date code thing is boring.

untill your boss says sell those Fuchs... smiling face..mee too
sixnotfour
Fuchs in Fox Head
mepstein
Real early ones were inked, later had raised dates. Many differences. Guys like Adam could explain. I don't care unless I'm selling.

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 21 2019, 06:20 PM) *

Real early ones were inked, later had raised dates. Many differences. Guys like Adam could explain. I don't care unless I'm selling.

The only ones I've seen with just an ink stamp are very early 67S 15 X 4.5 FUCHS. But like I said, never say never. For example, people love to say when the transition for 15 X 4.5 to 15 X 5.5 for steel wheels happened, until I give them 2-3 examples of the same months on both sizes.
Also, Bulldozer is right, we could use less guys bashing like Larmo. I love how people seem to think post count or time on here makes you more worthy of saying something. But lets follow that out, I've been on here 8 more years than Larmo, does that make my words more weighty? I own 3 914's, does that make me more important? No, nor should any of us act like that.

I'll see if I can dig out some pics of the early ink stamps.
SirAndy
Cleaned up this thread, don't make me have to come back in here ...
FERG.gif slap.gif
mb911
Thank you Andy.
flippa
unsure.gif

Thanks Andy, won't happen again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.