Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 70 914-6 For Sale soon, value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
Coastal6
Hi all,
I’ve been a 914 enthusiast since they were first introduced in 1970 and have over the years owned 7, with three of them being original 914-6’s.
I have decided that I am going to sell the 914-6 that I currently own and have owned for 31 years and 8 months.
Parting with the car is probably tougher on me than cutting off my right arm.

I could use a little help in determining its value and potential market.
Many of you on the west coast have seen the car at events over the years and hopefully will have an opinion.

To start: it’s an original “6” vin #9140431952

Here are the details:
1995 993 3.6 carrera engine. Stock factory build. With chip. 25-30 MPG
Billy Boat stainless headers with heat
Dansk polished stainless steel muffler w/dual exhaust
Hidden front BAT oil coolers (3) with thermostat control and fan. Runs cool even on the hottest desert day.
All oil and fuel lines plumbed with aeroquip lines and fittings.
Carrera starter
Carrera 915 transmission with Vellios side shift conversion. Built by George Vellios himself.
8:31 ring and pinion with 29:21 5th gear for freeway flying.
Wevo semi sold trans mounts and wevo shift couplings
Short shift kit on 915 shifter
Carrera complete front suspension with rack and anti sway bar and big brakes w/slotted rotors.
Limited edition 914 rear anti sway bar
180 lb rear springs with Koni shocks
Recently overhauled 914-6 rear brakes and fresh rotors. Stainless lines
19mm master cylinder
7 and 8 inch x15 factory Fuchs crome plated by Robert Woods
215/55s on the front, 225/50s on the rear.
Koenig 914 seats (extremely rare)
Deist seat belt harnes both sides
New European carpet, headliner, trunk, mats, door panels, dash top etc.
Carrera gages, electronic speedometer
Rennline dead post
Momo steering wheel
Blaupunkt CD with aux input and 100 watt amp and custom speakers (sounds great!)
European lenses front and rear with split dual bulb European turn signal lighting in front
High intensity head lights with electrical relay twin bulb total 155 watts per side
New tinted windshield and trim recently installed
Door glass and window mechanism updated to later model tinted windows and fuzzy window track for quiet wind noise free ride
Tinted thicker rear window and quiet insulation behind interior seat panels
New rubber seals all around
Twin outside mirrors

I probably forgot a few things, but if you can think of it, it’s probably got it.
Recent service, runs great (understatement)
Drives fantastic.

In summary. Probably one of the nicest 914-6’s around.
Great body, no rust.
Recipes for everything!
I can supply a bunch of photos.

Whats it worth?

UPDATE: February 22, 2019. The car is available for sale.
Asking price $75,000 OBO
JIM 760.333.4221

The car is SOLD.
Thanks everyone!

Click to view attachment
Coastal6
More photos
Coastal6
Wish I could figure out this photo thingClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Coastal6
Photos
mepstein
I would see if there have been any cars similar to yours that have sold on BAT and ebay.
Coastal6
PhotosClick to view attachment
Coastal6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2019, 03:24 PM) *

I would see if there have been any cars similar to yours that have sold on BAT and ebay.

I’ve looked.
There are NO cars similar to this.

Thanks
Steve
PRS914-6 would be the closest, but it wasn’t a real six. Same motor and trans. I think it sold for around $60k
Larmo63
This car was at a couple WCRs, I think I talked to you at the Medford event a couple years ago?

There are few cars to compare it to. It's really nice.
Coastal6
Just a few more photos Click to view attachment
Coastal6
PhotosClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Coastal6

Thanks
Beebo Kanelle
wow.
Coastal6
Photo Click to view attachment
Coastal6
Photos
Coastal6
Photos Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Real six, huge motor, tons of mods, purists be damned.

This car is its own category.

To the collectors, it's not stock enough. To the drivers, its too nice and real six enough. White isn't everyone's color. If it had steel flares though......

To me, I want it. This is exactly what I'd drive happily.

I'd say $60-80K which is a wide range.

$60K to a flipper or foreign person this month. $80K if you sit on your well deserved number and that right person will come along.

Its really worth $100K if this is your exact build dream car, because it would take that and more to create it, and BTW, no one will build a 914/6 with a real /6 ever again.

Good luck with the sale and I hope you've had a great ride all of these years! smilie_pokal.gif
Cairo94507
That is a beautifully built Six. I am going to say $80K and I wish I had the money to buy it. GLWTS. beerchug.gif
Ferg
Wow Jim, I never thought...

Such a great car, and such a thoughtful build. Whatever it sells for the buyer will be happy. This is one of the cars that cannot be replicated without spending metric tons of $$.

Ferg.
Coastal6
To the collectors, it's not stock enough. To the drivers, its too nice and real six enough. White isn't everyone's color. If it had steel flares though

Reply:
Yep.... I started this project almost 32 years ago when the collectors couldn’t care less about 914-6’s. Back then people looked down their noses and called the 914 a VW. Who knew that someday the car might be collectible?
Stock wasn’t much fun with a little 2.0 six.
I’ve had some people tell me it’s too nice. I’d be glad to give it a few dents or poke a hole in the muffler for the right price.
When I painted it white, my friends called the car a “refrigerator “. The name stuck, and for many years I told people that I was going to drive the refrigerator to the event.
Personally I never cared for the big steel flairs. Seemed out of proportion. Just my opinion.

Thanks everyone! biggrin.gif
burton73
My guess is over $100,000 to a person that wants this set up and does not want to wait for one to be built.

Put it up on BAT and the market will tell you. Just look at the prices on a long nose 911 and see that this is a deal. Time is money and to people with the money they want to enjoy a quality car now. There are only so many real 6s.

Bob B
gereed75
This is one of the cars that encouraged me to get back into 914’s. Thanks

I also suggest BAT would be a good option. The car presents itself very well in photos and I think it will be very well received there. Set yourself a reasonable reserve and see what happens. GLWTS
mlindner
Jim, check out VICCIcarauctions.com. A little more high end buyers. Best, Mark
raynekat
What I would suggest if you are serious about selling your car for top dollar....

Since you are located in Oregon, there is a company in Portland called Avante Garde Collection.
https://www.a-gc.com

They have sold a number of Porsches on Bring A Trailer and they get big money usually for their cars.
The reason?
They have a killer photographer who does "the best" photos hands down and a great driving video.
These absolutely sell these cars for lots of money.
In fact, their photographer won photographer of the year in the annual Bring A Trailer competition for that.
I think that speaks volumes.

It would be worth your time to contact them (Matt Crandall) and arrange to get your car to Portland for the photo gig.
Whatever it costs (even thousands), you'll get back in spades when you sell your car.

BTW....I am not connected with Avante Garde in any way.
I have met Matt before, but that is the extent of it.

This fall they sold a very nicely modified 912 for $165,000.....a 912.
It was an unusual car very nicely done....much like yours
Check out the pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-porsche-911-9/
mepstein
agree.gif I use my iphone to sell our junkers. We use a pro photographer to sell the expensive cars. $75-200K. Always worth the money.
rhodyguy
Lots of eye candy with this one. I stared at it for quite a while. It was the 'peach' at Newberg. GLWTS.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 14 2019, 10:05 AM) *

This is one of the cars that encouraged me to get back into 914’s. Thanks

I also suggest BAT would be a good option. The car presents itself very well in photos and I think it will be very well received there. Set yourself a reasonable reserve and see what happens. GLWTS

agree.gif

I'd bet it would go for over $100k on BAT
eric9144
QUOTE(Coastal6 @ Jan 13 2019, 07:35 PM) *

Headrests are on backwards poke.gif
Super nice car, GLWTS
Coastal6
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jan 15 2019, 03:20 PM) *

Super nice car, GLWTS

Thanks for all the comments and complements!
Re: headrests... if they are.... then the factory put them on backwards. They don’t come off. poke.gif biggrin.gif
boxstr
Good morning. Very nice looking Porsche 914. I have sold five in this configuration. 914-6 stock all original or with the big motor and various modifications.
I think your best audience will be Ebay or bring a trailer.
The 914s that I sold were anywhere from $20-45,000..
An exetremly nice 6 3.2 conversion zero modifications for $25,000. This car I sold three different times at @$25,000, each time sold. Then a narrow body 4 cylinder conversion to a six, very similar to your car, $35,000. And then another highly modified 6 conversion as old for $45,000.
These did not sell on eBay or bat, but were sales through advertising on CL or 914 world. Or people that I had on my list of potential buyers.
If the car was a bone stock 914-6 I personally feel you would have a larger buyer base. The modifications, no matter how well done, are a personal thing to most buyers.
Good luck with the sale.
Craig at CAMP
pete000
Nice car, put it on BAT, they seem to get high bids...
matthepcat
Trade you for an 82 SC with a 3.6 and fresh paint smile.gif
bulliporker
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 16 2019, 10:05 AM) *

Good morning. Very nice looking Porsche 914. I have sold five in this configuration. 914-6 stock all original or with the big motor and various modifications.
An exetremly nice 6 3.2 conversion zero modifications for $25,000. This car I sold three different times at @$25,000, each time sold. Then a narrow body 4 cylinder conversion to a six, very similar to your car, $35,000. And then another highly modified 6 conversion as old for $45,000.
These did not sell on eBay or bat, but were sales through advertising on CL or 914 world. Or people that I had on my list of potential buyers.
If the car was a bone stock 914-6 I personally feel you would have a larger buyer base. The modifications, no matter how well done, are a personal thing to most buyers.
Good luck with the sale.
Craig at CAMP

can you tell me what cl is as looking for a really clean 914 and not having much luck thanks
LowBridge
Wonderful Oulaw 6 and GLWS, my 2 cents - the big money 914's are bone stock originals or restored bone stock originals. Outside of this group you have to have something very different with NO DETAILS overlooked for the true "OutLaw" feel.

The differece between 1's and 2's in this Outlaw class is large and does not draw money. The example above on the Outlow 912 is a great example of not missing a single detail no matter how small and in return you get the big money. If you miss it by just a little bit the cash does not come rolling in...

Edit... my guess on the range would be $60K-$80K
mepstein
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 16 2019, 11:05 AM) *

Good luck with the sale.
Craig at CAMP

That’s why I suggested eBay or bat. You need buyers who are willing to spend real money.
Real 6 chassis roller in great condition - $40k
3.6 Engine and 915 side shift trans - $30k
Everything else - $10k
You just have to market it to guys who are used to spending $100-200k on their cars.
We could easily find a 911 owner who would want to add this car to their collection for $80k.

I would make some cosmetic adjustments - paint rockers, valances and top satin black, add targa vinyl and finish wheels to an RS finish so it looks like a traditional six. I’m not criticizing the look now, it’s just what I would do to get it sold.
stevesc_us

I would make some cosmetic adjustments - paint rockers, valances and top satin black, add targa vinyl and finish wheels to an RS finish so it looks like a traditional six. I’m not criticizing the look now, it’s just what I would do to get it sold.
[/quote]

That is exactly what I would do as well, but agree its a great build even as is.
jor
[/quote]
can you tell me what cl is as looking for a really clean 914 and not having much luck thanks
[/quote]

Welcome to the 914 World ... "cl" is Craig's List.
Rufus
[quote name='stevesc_us' date='Jan 18 2019, 11:48 AM' post='2682107']
[/quote]

That is exactly what I would do as well, but agree its a great build even as is.
[/quote]

I agree as well. The result of making these minor cosmetic adjustments to this car would resemble the final goals for my project. I decided to stick as close as possible to a bone stock appearance ... solely because of escalating values and possible future resale.

@Coastal6 : your -6 is amazing beerchug.gif !!!!
porschetub
[/quote]
That’s why I suggested eBay or bat. You need buyers who are willing to spend real money.
Real 6 chassis roller in great condition - $40k
3.6 Engine and 915 side shift trans - $30k
Everything else - $10k
You just have to market it to guys who are used to spending $100-200k on their cars.
We could easily find a 911 owner who would want to add this car to their collection for $80k.

agree.gif 100% ,the cosmetic work needs to be done ,wheels will put people off due to the chrome process with these wheels,however a very nice car and should make big $$$$$$,would think it is rather fast also driving.gif .
914dave
QUOTE(Coastal6 @ Jan 16 2019, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jan 15 2019, 03:20 PM) *

Super nice car, GLWTS

Thanks for all the comments and complements!
Re: headrests... if they are.... then the factory put them on backwards. They don’t come off. poke.gif biggrin.gif

My Konigs had headrests mounted the same way when I purchased them. I was informed that they were backwards. Looks to me like they were correct, judging by the corduroy on the face of your seats. I made mine removable when I widened the seats. They are not designed to be removed in their stock form.
Beautiful car GLWTS!
JRust
Damn Jim this I never thought I would see unsure.gif
Andyrew
This is the car that should bring the "Outlaw" 914s up in value like the 911s.

I say 90k as a sell point.
Coastal6
Thanks everyone for your input!
It’s a hard car to price. I didn’t want my passion and love for the car to blind me to the true value.
I think I have a better idea of the cars worth now.
I plan on listing it for sale around the 1st of April.
$75,000 seems like a good starting figure probably on BAT and eBay. Actually seems like a bargain compared to other 914-6 cars I’ve seen listed recently. I think parts alone would come close to that value.
Tell your friends and save your big tax refund!
It’s been fun,
Jim
Mike Fitton
Reality check will take place when you list it on BAT, not trying to be a downer but my guess is $60k-$65k.
Coastal6
Updated February 22, 2019
The car is for sale.
Asking $75,000 OBO

JIM
760 333-4221
Rufus
Jim - An excellent outlaw “real” (but NOM) -6 with many very desirable upgrades.

Have you listed it anywhere else ?

I’ll be watching carefully. GLWTS !!
Coastal6
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 22 2019, 01:27 PM) *

Jim - An excellent outlaw “real” (but NOM) -6 with many very desirable upgrades.

Have you listed it anywhere else ?

I’ll be watching carefully. GLWTS !!

Currently only listed here and on eBay.
767driver
Wow... what a nice build you have! I read with interest all of the comments and I think we can all agree that although this car is super clean and built to a high standard, it kinda falls into the "neither fish nor fowl" (ie not a 6-conversion and not a stock 6) category. Much of any 914-6s value, in my opinion, is determined by having it's correct numbers matching engine and being completely stock. Look at the ones that bring the money and you will see what I mean. The further the car deviates from this recipe the more difficult valuation becomes. This is much more true with the 914-6 than the 911s. Just look at what the well-done 911 hot rods bring on BaT. This is surely a desirable car (I want it!) and when price meets the market, wherever that may be, it will sell. GLWS...
Coastal6
The car is sold.
Thanks everyone!
Mark Henry
Got any better pics of the flares?
I personally don't like GT flares a whole lot lot, and again IMO it's getting overdone.
I've been tempted to find a old leather bag and start going at my rears. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.