Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wreakers Has Silver "PORSCHE" Letters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver six
For anyone who needs them: Dorris Auto Wreckers, in Hayward, around the corner from Parts Heaven, has a blue 1973 914 with a full set of silver "PORSCHE" letters affixed to the engine hatch. Dorris Auto Wreckers' prices are very reasonable. I got full dash facia, a center arm rest with box, visor clips and assorted hardware for $3.50 yesterday. Dorris also has two other 914s.

Let me know if you need other parts and I'll try to remember if I saw them.

By the way, the Pick Your Part (or Pick and Pull, whatever) in Hayward sucks. They have only one 944, and no other Porsches and almost no aircooled VWs except for a few well-gutted buses and Westys.

Douglas
Brad Roberts
You went to a wrecking yard ??

Your windshield wiper stuff was a B-i-t-c-h. Ask the 3 people around me in the shop when I was dealing with it.

Plan on seeing the car this week. I left my truck in Sunnyvale so I oculd bring your car down today or tomorrow. I'll let you know when.

B
silver six
Yeah! I love wreaking yards. Car carcasses are everywhere and you can see hundreds and hundreds of broken dreams in the crumple zones all smashed up. Besides Parts Heaven sells you the same stuff for a 1000% mark up and there are always a dozen little pieces of trim or hardware that you always need that you can't find anywhere else without paying through the ass. Also, you can see how something installs or uninstalls without messing up your car if you make a mistake. On top of that no one could find me dash facia in decent shape.

About the wipers: considering how difficult it was, I'm glad I had you do it, instead of trying to do it myself. I would have taken me 10 times longer and I probably would have lost most of the skin on my knuckes to boot. So anyway, what was the hard part about the install?

About delivery: cool! Looking forward to getting the car. Let me know when. Also looking forward to getting my sunglasses. I think I left them in the glovebox.

Douglas
ein 6er
"I got full dash facia, a center arm rest with box, visor clips and assorted hardware for $3.50 yesterday. Dorris also has two other 914s."

guess they haven't heard of ebay!! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I had to use parts from your car and the six we stripped.

I pulled the assembly from the stripped six and found the wiring harness to be chewed up by a rat (more on this later).

I had to unsolder your wiring harness and switch the motors out. I used your wiring and gear drive... and the stripped sixes wiper linkage (which was rusted solid..like yours..which is why yours physically broke and ruined the motor)

Works like a champ.. Your motor toasted because the linkage was rusted and somebody turned the wipers on. One side still worked... so the linkage snapped on the bad side.

Your "flick to wipe" works also.. although your missing the electric pump and washer bottle.

B
EdwardBlume
Yeah, Brad took some major time with that wiper assembly. What a PITA! I hope mine never goes out!!!

Pick and pulls can be fun but alot of time its pure junk. IMO - I like HPH because knowing something is good is worth the effort.
Brad Roberts
I wanted it to work and be done correctly. I could have hacked something together in half the time..

The part that baffled me: The linkage being 100% frozen. It took 30-40 minutes to get it break free and work smoothly.

clap56.gif

B
silver six
Interesting. So if I understand you correctly, you used the donor motor and donor wiper linkage (which was previously rusted solid). Then you married it to my wiring harness and "gear drive" (which is that big plastic cog in the motor, if I were to guess, but I'm not really sure). Very creative. I guess this way I won't owe you a 914-6 wiper system to boot. I think you should have signed the wiper motor and that way I would have had a "Brad Roberts" original rebuild complete with certification. I wonder if that would enhance the car's resale value.

Rob,

Good to have met you last week in the parking lot. Yeah, I like HPH too, but they don't always have everything I need. I did, however, pick up a cool old school "PORSCHE" lettered badge like the one you have on your rear at HPH. I had it chromed and now it is very shiny.

Douglas
Brad Roberts
I will still need a 9146 motor and linkage assembly. I compared the linkage to a 4cyl linkage and they are the same..

That motor is what I will need in the future... the linkage will be easy to locate/purchase.

B
EdwardBlume
Good to meet you too Cooley! Are you talking about the 356 lettering or the spare badge on my lid? If its the 356 letters, can you post a pict? Where did you have it chromed?
914werke
Brad, If you need a Wiper motor and linkage assemb.out of a /4? I have one I just stripped out of the Silver car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.