Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Cap Finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bbrock
I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread on this but I couldn't find it with search. All of he survivor and reference photos show the cap being dull silver with what appears to be a plain zinc finish - same as mine. But when I inspected my cap, I found traces of what sure looks like cad/yellow chromate under the tangs. Now here's the over thinking... yellow dichromate is not that durable and easily removed with many solvents or worn off. Is it possible these caps started with a yellow chromate finish that was soon lost due to a combination of fuel vapor and hand wear? For those who saw these cars fresh off the boat, what is your recollection?

It's a little hard to tell in these pics, but in good sunlight, the color under the tangs is iridescent yellow and looks exactly like cad/yellow zinc.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
I think my early ones were yellow but I'm not sure how to get it back since the cap is crimped around an inner rubber seal.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2019, 09:25 AM) *

I think my early ones were yellow but I'm not sure how to get it back since the cap is crimped around an inner rubber seal.

This was the tipping point for me to order some chemicals to try my hand at electroplating so I can refinish problem parts like this that can't be sent out for barrel plating. My backup plan will be Eastwood's CAD paint. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-golden-ca...ASAAEgIucPD_BwE
914Sixer
Yellow Zinc.
914Next
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 14 2019, 09:08 PM) *

Yellow Zinc.

I'm not convinced. Mine shows no signs of yellow zinc and Steve G's looks like it wasn't either.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1260238697.jpg
Cal
QUOTE(914Next @ Jan 15 2019, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 14 2019, 09:08 PM) *

Yellow Zinc.

I'm not convinced. Mine shows no signs of yellow zinc and Steve G's looks like it wasn't either.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1260238697.jpg

Yes, I would agree....mine doesn't show any evidence of yellow zinc.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
there were some replacement caps offered in yellow, but the original ones were silver cad
defianty
@bbrock

Stumbled on this image - Thought I'd post it here for reference.

IPB Image
bbrock
Right or wrong, mine looks like this now. A few things I can say about my cap. It is stamped with the VW logo so I assume it is OEM. I can't rule out it being a replacement but I've owned the car since 1984 and I don't recall it showing up in the extensive stack of receipts dating back to 1978 from the PO. I will double check that. The original finish on this cap was zinc with a yellow chromate coating. I know it was zinc because 5% muriatic acid took the original finish off and from what I've read, it would not have taken cadmium off. I'm 99% certain there was a yellow chromate coating because of the traces that remained under the tangs and inside the cap. I don't know if it is the original cap that came on the car, but it is now restored to its original finish. Easy to reverse back to bright zinc if I want.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.