Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro driving light how to remove lens?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ltd
I have a pair of the 914 euro driving lights that need the reflector re chromed. The lenses are "glued" into the reflector similar to the 7" H4's. There is no rubber seal like the 914 fogs. Anyone successful in separating these?
Thanks in advance, Brad Mayeur
Tom_T
Brad,

I've not done them myself, but you might try finding the appropriate solvent for the glue/adhesive used, then dribble it around the rim to soak in, set for a day or two, & soften the glue/adhesive before prying them apart.

Since you're restoring them anyway, it won't matter if the solvent also removes paint &/or the reflector surface.

If you can find the typical type of glue/adhesive from the old specs - SWAG wild guess otherwise or if done by a DAPO later - then you can google for the solvent to use with that type.

I'm blanking on his actual name or screen-name, but the member with the Caddy Shack movie photo gofer & caddy/Bill Murray as his avatar pic on the left of his posts is a chemist, & may have some ideas on solvents if you PM to him.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
they were sold as a glued assembly and no longer available Maybe mitelmotor would have some new old stock?

QUOTE(914ltd @ Jan 15 2019, 12:15 PM) *

I have a pair of the 914 euro driving lights that need the reflector re chromed. The lenses are "glued" into the reflector similar to the 7" H4's. There is no rubber seal like the 914 fogs. Anyone successful in separating these?
Thanks in advance, Brad Mayeur
914Sixer
Brad,
New ones available on Ebay. They are chrome though. Hit them with a little black Plastidip. $350 shipped. Look up Hella 118 for Porsche 911.
Martin Baker
Brad, I just did this...pre-heat the oven to 300 degree F, once hot, let them heat soak for 15-20 minutes.

You of course will need gloves, and appropriate work clothes.

C A U T I O N !

I WAS NOT WORRIED ABOUT SAVING THE OFF COMING LENS!

It was sand blasted from the track!

Once heat soaked, use a small sharp object, I used a small common screwdriver to get a small separation started, then worked in a dental spatula and went around the lens as it came loose.

Heat gun to get the rest off, small fragments of glue/glass that stayed behind.

Just waiting on my new ones to show up!

MB
Martin Baker
Here is a yellow lens, which I am not a fan of...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I need a new set of sealed lenses for a 1972 914-6 we are restoring. Anyone have a set? As you can see these are whole but well sandblasted over the years Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
914Rubber has replacement lens.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the euro lenses are bigger than the usa style, and at one time the lease reflector combination was made as one piece, that is what I am looking for

quote name='JawjaPorsche' date='Jan 15 2019, 03:23 PM' post='2681376']
[/quote]
JawjaPorsche
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Jan 15 2019, 06:07 PM' post='2681386']
the euro lenses are bigger than the usa style, and at one time the lease reflector combination was made as one piece, that is what I am looking for

[/quote]
[/quote]

Good to know. Learn something new everyday. Just a shot. 914Rubber sent me the wrong lens when I order new fog lens for my 914. They were bigger diameter than my fogs.
eric9144
Not the complete sealed beam, but yes they do have the correct lens:
https://shop.914rubber.com/Porsche-911-fog-...90163121101.htm
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and the rims have a larger hole in them to fit the larger lens. Really stupid that Porsche did it that way. We make the usa style glass lenses fluted, but not enough demand for the euro lens with reflectors and ring that would have to go with it.

[quote name='JawjaPorsche' date='Jan 15 2019, 04:37 PM' post='2681397']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Jan 15 2019, 06:07 PM' post='2681386']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Good to know. Learn something new everyday.
[/quote]
sp11taj
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 15 2019, 04:13 PM) *

I need a new set of sealed lenses for a 1972 914-6 we are restoring. Anyone have a set? As you can see these are whole but well sandblasted over the years Click to view attachment

You could try buffing with Cerium Oxide paste on these before you spend for others.
It works very well on most glass.
Terry in Poulsbo, WA.
Blue6
Brad,
I was able to remove the glued 118 lenses by heating, then using a hooked dental pick. Slowly worked it around until it popped loose.
Mikey914
What is the diameter? I may have some.
Dave_Darling
You can remove them with a big hammer!

Oh, you wanted to use the bits again afterwards?

.... nevermind ....

--DD
914ltd
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 15 2019, 10:43 PM) *

You can remove them with a big hammer!

Oh, you wanted to use the bits again afterwards?

.... nevermind ....

--DD

Dave, You are working too hard. A small hammer works just fine. Brad
914ltd

Thanks to all!
I have one filled with lacquer thinner and I've heated one with a commercial heat gun. The lens looks to be about .2mm smaller than the lip on the reflector. Really hard to get a tool between them without risking the (really nice) lens. I would love to put these on 3 of my "drivers" They look and work great. Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.