Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jan 15th is officially turd day Event 1.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
So I put my 2.0L with D-jet in about a month ago and fired it up. It has been purring like a kitten for the last month, idling about 900rpm. I just went and started to put in the shifter and clutch cable and noticed that the car wasn't idling anymore. I checked all the vacuum lines and such but haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Then this evening I noticed the ecu sparking where the ecu was touching the engine tin. I have the ecu bolted to the battery tray and it was touching at one corner with the engine tin. I put a rubber glove between the ecu and the engine tin and then the engine would not turn over. When I removed the glove it would turn over. I then removed the ecu from the battery tray and got it off the engine tin. I placed a blanket under the ecu so it wasn't touching any metal. The engine would turn over slightly but it was like the battery was dying. I hook up a jump box to the battery and it still turn over like the battery was dying. I then hooked up a battery charger and set it for warp speed and the engine still turned over weakly.

I think I have a grounding problem and the ecu box was acting like a ground when it touched the engine tin. I don't think it is a battery issue but I do think that when the ecu
was grounded the starter worked fine.

First thing I need is to figure out what is going on with the ecu grounding.
Second, If the grounding issue is fixed and the engine isn't idling any more where do I begin?
End of event 1

Thanks,
Buck
Dave_Darling
Check the transmission ground strap. It's really very important... It needs to be there and needs to have good connectivity!!

--DD
ConeDodger
Your MPS should be properly mounted as well. You cannot tune with it laying on the tin...
Dave_Darling
Oh, yeah. I've made that mistake too...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.