Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
What's a good product to paint front trunk lid springs and rear strut springs that is flexible enough not to crack? Powder coating would be ideal but I'm on a budget. I think I read somewhere that SEM Trim paint is flexible but not sure. On another forum, someone posted the idea of Plasti Dip but didn't see any feedback from anyone who actually did it. Intriguing idea though.

On a similar question - Do I need to add a flexiblizing agent to paint trunk and engine lid torsion bars body color?

Thanks for suggestions.
IronHillRestorations
For the current project I'm on, I'm using VHT semi gloss black epoxy.
mepstein
Get them plated black.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 16 2019, 11:56 AM) *

What's a good product to paint front trunk lid springs and rear strut springs that is flexible enough not to crack? Powder coating would be ideal but I'm on a budget. I think I read somewhere that SEM Trim paint is flexible but not sure. On another forum, someone posted the idea of Plasti Dip but didn't see any feedback from anyone who actually did it. Intriguing idea though.

On a similar question - Do I need to add a flexiblizing agent to paint trunk and engine lid torsion bars body color?

Thanks for suggestions.

On my first 914 I painted all the torsion bar springs black with standard automotive paint. No issues. Can post photo of my original engine compartment cover - The only thing I still have from my 1st 914. Garage decoration.

The rear springs can painted too. In the past I've used Krylon ( confused24.gif I know . . .) with good results. Keep it thin and you shouldn't have too much trouble. Worst case, it only lasts 2-3 years and then needs a re-shoot.
amfab
I was thinking about Krylon appliance epoxy 3206 spray. It is very durable, but it is pretty glossy.
I know Rustoleum makes an appliance epoxy but I hate Rustoleum
Rand
Because you like blingy colors on your springs? Why? Springs flex (the perfect canvas for paint? Duh, think about that.)

Spew all the paint and powder coat THERE. I'm sure there are other forums who would be more helpful. We like to drive our cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.