Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a 3/8 to 5/16 fuel filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Car is a '73 with fuel pump relocated to the front. I'm looking for a fuel filter with 3/8" inlet and 5/16" outlet that is small enough to be hose clamped to the original filter bracket on the outer engine mount. Closest I've found is a Napa 3486 which has the correct fittings, but is too big to fit on the bracket or anywhere along the firewall.

Anyone done this?

My backup plan is to just install a reducer and then a filter but prefer to eliminate the extra connections if I can do this in one step.

Thanks.
914Sixer
I think I may have a late bosch, let me look.
bbrock
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 17 2019, 09:44 AM) *

Thanks, but I already ruled those out. The Hastings filter is the same as the Napa filter I tried. I actually found the Napa filter by cross referencing the Hastings #. It is too big. The Crown filter has Chrysler quick connect fittings rather than bubble fittings.

The frustrating thing is I'm sure the filter must exist but are hard to search for. They are all geared to look up a vehicle application and you can't search on inlet/outlet size.
johnhora
Brent..
Chris makes these fuel adapters

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
I went to the hardware store and picked up a hose barb to hose barb brass thingymadoodle, 3/8 on one side and 5/16 on the other.
bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jan 17 2019, 10:24 AM) *

I went to the hardware store and picked up a hose barb to hose barb brass thingymadoodle, 3/8 on one side and 5/16 on the other.

Thanks for the adapter suggestions. The hardware store hose barb adapter is my backup plan and probably what I'll wind up doing. I probably already have one in a spare parts bin. I was just hoping to eliminate the extra hose clamp connections since I'm going to mount a second filter in that area anyway. I guess this isn't as easy as I thought.
Mark Henry
I have one on mine, don't know if I can find the number but I got it from Carquest. I just asked the guy, he brought out some filters and we found one.
bbrock
Found the slick Wix online catalog that lets you search by inlet size and was finally able to vies all of the 3/8 to 5/16 and 10mm to 8mm filters they have. None would work so I'll just install the hose barb adapter and will have plenty of choices in 5/16" filters.

Thanks for playing. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 17 2019, 11:28 AM) *

I have one on mine, don't know if I can find the number but I got it from Carquest. I just asked the guy, he brought out some filters and we found one.

Well just when I thought I was defeated. We tried that at Napa with no luck and the Autozone folks just freeze up if you don't have Make, Model, and Year. I'll give Carquest a shot next time I'm in town.
Mark Henry
Looking at my Carquest invoice try filter part numbers 86031, 86032 and 86033.

One should be 1/4", one is 5/16", the other is 5/16" in and 3/8" out. They're all metal can filters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.