Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *F1Roccos *1971* 1.7 FI * Progress*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F1rocco
It looks to be the best way to keep my part post to a minimum.Got the Car on June 12th 2005 for free.Well $60 for towing....Didnt run no keys and rotted longs.Well today she now runs....Yippie.....Replaced the points, condesor, battery and replaced 1 bad piece of fuel line and threw in some Tolulene for a Fuel additive with new gas...914 Idles at 800rpms a little rich...Oh and bought a drivers window to replace the shattered missing one...Not bad.. clutch and brakes seem ok everything works....I cant wait...Its all good after this.......

user posted image

Thanks for everyones support............
jet1
Keep up the good work! clap.gif
I can't wait to see how you handle the rust repair.
Bleyseng
smilie_pokal.gif WooHoo!

Now you can take off the nerf bar and the tow cable!

God I hate those things... dry.gif

How bad are the longs?
F1rocco
The longs are sawzawed off about 5-10 years ago so they look worse then they are...Still not good though..At least the lower/underbelly metal is straight cut and solid...............Does anyone sell the outer cover panel/exterior face for the longs or is that what they call the outers...Looks to me like there are three panels there..??Thanks
redshift
WOOHOO! BUMPER OVERRIDERS! YAY!

I love it!

smile.gif

M
Dead Air
Check here for what you need! beerchug.gif
pelican

or

restoration
F1rocco
Thanks I found this too.

AutoAtlanta
Bleyseng
Looks like your car is missing the rockers which are a steel panel that covers the longs. You can get these new or in fiberglass.
F1rocco
Would these work.......?

user posted image

And these?

user posted image
mihai914
Read through THIS and you'll get a very good idea of what and how to repair your car.
jet1
Read through THIS and you'll get a very good idea of what and how to repair your car.

agree.gif

jet1
Would these work.......?

In the first picture, the part goes over the existing longs. It is a reinforcement piece. It is not a rust repair piece.

the second picture is what you will need, but it only repairs back to the jack post location.
F1rocco
Is there another post or site out there that shows another way to rebuild these...I personally dont believe I will ever want to restore the car..But I do want to keep it a orininal sleeper look....But racing it will be more likeley...I looked at the cost for the replacement panels and then the cost to stiffen it up.$1200..Alittle to steep and I still havent touched anything else......I was thinking on the lines of 1x3 square tube and build in new supports where the longs were.$500..Just a thought.....
ArtechnikA
pls don't take this the wrong way - but iif $1200 to prepare the tub for "racing" is too steep, you may not be ready for "racing." almost certainly the car isn't.

tech inspectors take a dim view of cobbled structural patching.

you will be money and effort ahead to sell your tub and get a sound replacement.
Dead Air
Way to go rocco, I think Brad did a post about stiffening for racing, find it in the classic threads.

I don't know much about racing but I hear the most expensive aspect is converting your engine to burn money instead of gas. biggrin.gif
jet1
You may want to look into a Brad Meyer kit. The kit repairs rusted longs. I don't know that much about them, but it's another option. ( BTW different Brad then noted above)
F1rocco
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 24 2005, 03:21 AM)
pls don't take this the wrong way - but iif $1200 to prepare the tub for "racing" is too steep, you may not be ready for "racing." almost certainly the car isn't.

tech inspectors take a dim view of cobbled structural patching.

you will be money and effort ahead to sell your tub and get a sound replacement.

None takin...But I just did some figuring and came up with $1000 and thats not stiffening up the chassis.Thats like a weak bone stock set up.Then tack up another $300 in stiffening that and a roll cage....Plus Im not going to run the heaters through the rockers...That aint working here in NY.....I couldnt find that post on the classic board but Ill look some more..What I was thinking was getting flat stock 1/4 inch steel and rebuilbing the entire tub section from tire to tire.Sorta frame it like a letter "F"on its side......No offense to the Naturalist....When I say race the car..I mean a local SCCA winter Rally and maybe a few others...I would like to do Watkins Glen but based on all the rules...Probably not........I wish though"The Boot"..........
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (F1rocco @ Jun 24 2005, 03:45 PM)
I would like to do Watkins Glen but based on all the rules...Probably not........I wish though"The Boot"..........

if you just want to *drive* The Glen, as opposed to an actual wheel-to-wheel race, check out TracQuest.

they put on one of THE best DE programs ANYWHERE.
your car must be SAFE and RELIABLE but you are responsible for that.

i have been trying to get up to a TracQuest Glen event for a couple of years - and it looks like this won't be the year either. Some Day Soon, tho... the spring '06 event, maybe...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.