Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Service/maintenance books
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TAV
Hi all

Seems like a very friendly and helpful bunch of people in this forum... I like!

Starting a project on a 914 which will have 3.0 installed.
So many decisions to make and things to think about, but I love the process.

Just wondering if there are any books you have come across that you’d recommend for
1) maintenance/DIY/servicing
2) general info

This is a pic of the car which is still in the States (will be shipped to Australia)
I’ve also put a picture of his stablemate too.

Thanks in advance

Ps awesome forum!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Steve
I have a 3.2 914.
I would pick up a Haynes 914 and Haynes 911 Manuel’s.
There are also pirated pdf copies of the factory 914 Manuel’s. They also come in handy.
Stoddy
QUOTE(TAV @ Jan 17 2019, 10:01 PM) *

Hi all

Seems like a very friendly and helpful bunch of people in this forum... I like!

Starting a project on a 914 which will have 3.0 installed.
So many decisions to make and things to think about, but I love the process.

Just wondering if there are any books you have come across that you’d recommend for
1) maintenance/DIY/servicing
2) general info

This is a pic of the car which is still in the States (will be shipped to Australia)
I’ve also put a picture of his stablemate too.

Thanks in advance

Ps awesome forum!

Awesome stablemate.........mate!

I bought '914 and 914-6, A restorer's guide to authenticity' by Dr B Johnson

Gives you all the period correct factory options and combinations as they left the factory, unless of course, your'e building your own version, it just gives you a good starting point

Enjoy!

Stoddy. beer.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

defianty
Welcome. Best of luck with your project. I'm doing a 3.0 conversion myself and the vast majority of information I've gained has been from this forum. I couldn't have done it without the help of others here.

For the basics though the Haynes manuals will be the best place to start.

The 911 looks awesome, great colour!
GeorgeRud
Auto Atlanta also sells a nice booklet on doing the conversion. The Haynes or Clymer manuals should suffice for most maintenance, though the factory manual set does doom impressive on your bookcase.
Dave_Darling
The Haynes manual has about 85% of the words and images straight from the factory manual set. It costs a ton less, and takes up a whole lot less space!

The Clymer manual (later republished by Lash International) covers most of the same ground as the Haynes, but has more in some areas (especially Six-specific stuff!) and less in others.

You can download a PDF parts catalog from the Porsche Classic website. This is effectively the old PET data, and has exploded diagrams of a lot of the car, with part numbers for most of it.

However, the best resource you have is 914world.com ...

--DD
Mike Bellis
@ConeDodger has the factory manual on PDF and can help you out. Most of everything can be found in an hours using google. Including the Bosch fuel injection manuals.
TAV
Thanks for the responses... I'm going to grab myself some reading material.

cheers
daytona
Hi TAV,
Welcome to the world.
I have a74 914 with a 3.0L. Makes for great fun. Purchased the car with a 2.2 already in it so I did not have to do much to put the 3L in the car. Still, it is a learning experience. The books mentioned are a good help, but nothing compared to the wealth of information and help that you will find in this forum. Good luck with your project it is certainly worth while. Love your 911.
Bill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.