Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
used to bolt fine to HEs but now they won't......went from 2.0 to 1.7 using existing setup.....do i need a real super big hammer or a drill or something to get this to work?
bd1308
it seems like the HEs are straight and true and the exhaust is slanted on each side...or mayeb its the other way around....any suggestions?
xsboost90
i know when i went from my 2.0 w/ a 1.7 exhaust to a 2.0 w/ a 2.0 exhaust, the rear muffler section was different. Are you using the entire exhaust from the 1.7, or did you change something? If your using the same parts it should all still fit, but the 1.7 is thinner and sits higher than the 2.0, so the muffler is changed to offset that.
Mueller
1.7 heatexchangers = 1.7 muffler

2.0 heatexchangers = 2.0 muffler

you can put the 2.0 stuff on a 1.7 motor and the 1.7 stuff on a 2.0 motor
bd1308
i have 1.8 he's and exhaust....so they wont work with my 1.7 stuff....they DID work fine with my 2.0 stuff though....but not the 1.7..... sad.gif very sad times.
bd1308
anybody local have a 1.7 setup i could purchase? he's and muffler or something....
Joe Bob
A COMPLETE exhaust will fit on ANY 914....but you need EVERYTHING.......
TravisNeff
I'm with Z on this one. You can use 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 - but you must use the complete system, no intermixing of parts. Exchangers, muffler and muffler bracket (1.7 & 1.8 brackets are the same)
bd1308
got ya man....thats what i remembered. I remember the guy saying that. but the VW guy swears its different. I guess i'll just have to tweak some things....the exhuast brace should go where....on back of HE flange or on back of exhuast flange?
TravisNeff
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 20 2005, 07:03 PM)
I guess i'll just have to tweak some things....the exhuast brace should go where....on back of HE flange or on back of exhuast flange?

the Muffler bracket/hanger goes at the flanged end and the muffler.

If you have a complete matching exhaust system, there's no tweaking needed. bolt it on and go.
Joe Bob
Don't fergit the NEW muffler bearing....it's a superceeded part number and NOT on the PET CD....yer VDub guy should know about it....
bd1308
is this the KaleCo bearing, so i know its a joke and not something i shoudl scratch my head over?
gklinger
and you're still listening to the "VW Guy" why...?
bd1308
QUOTE (gklinger @ Jun 20 2005, 10:19 PM)
and you're still listening to the "VW Guy" why...?

i'm not listening to him...he just talks and talks and i'm like okay old man whatever...... rolleyes.gif today there was a 914 there.....

he's got some good lookin VW-knowledgeable girl there....
Engman
I have a 1.7 muffler - old but life still in it - rusty but no holes - come over and pick it up =free

M
bd1308
sweet i'll pm ya..... thanks pal! smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
Any complete exhaust setup (exchangers, muffler, muffler hanger) will bolt up to any 914. The 74 1.8 used an exhaust that is essentially the same as the 1.7 stuff; you can swap parts between the 74 1.8 and the 1.7 exhausts. The 75 1.8 used the "late" exhaust, which is drastically different than either the 1.7 or 2.0 (73-74) stuff.

Your exchangers could be tweaked, if the problem is that they don't bolt up to the heads nicely.

What problem, exactly, are you having? Which parts don't bolt up to what parts?

--DD
bd1308
the exhaust flange does not bolt correctly to the HE flange...i can get one bolt in each side on....looks like they need to be tweaked in a circular fashion.
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 21 2005, 05:43 PM)
the exhaust flange does not bolt correctly to the HE flange...i can get one bolt in each side on....looks like they need to be tweaked in a circular fashion.

sounds strange....can you just open up the holes with a rat-tail file or a dremel?

how far off are the holes? what about a smaller diameter bolt??

bd1308
well i jacked the car up on the HEs a bit and it worked. Sounded good when started, only running on 2 or 3 cylinders though. Joe, if you're viewing this, i need your help and will be contacting you shortly.

so far:
*cyl 3/4 exhaust studs are acting up (2 arent connected and one turned on me today)
*taco plate screw turned adn wont torque down (even a very small amount).....RTV will seal things up a bit till i can source another engine. I'll drive it and add oil as necessary until things get really bad. Honestly I dont really see a *TERMINAL* condition here....just a annoyance from this standpoint.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 21 2005, 04:43 PM)

If they're off by something like an inch, then you have mis-matched parts.

If they're off by a quarter-inch, then they're just tweaked. You can, if you're careful, tweak them back again. Or you can just use a rat-tail file to open up the bolt-holes if they're close enough.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.