Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions Porthole Deep Valance Exaust exit locations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Is there a measurement or way to figure the exact location difference between the exhaust exit locations on a early 4cyc and 6cyc deep rear oem valance?

TIA

Ferg beerchug.gif
johnlush
Ferg, I'm not sure about the differences between the -4 and -6 but I'd be glad to measure my -6 valance for your reference. -John
Ferg
QUOTE(johnlush @ Jan 22 2019, 09:25 AM) *

Ferg, I'm not sure about the differences between the -4 and -6 but I'd be glad to measure my -6 valance for your reference. -John

Thanks john, I have a six porthole valance as well, just trying to figure out how far apart the two exits are from each other.

Freezin 914
If I recall correctly, something like 6 and 8 in, so 2 inches difference, I believe the 4cyl. Is farther to outside. I am trying to remember, had a 4 cyl. Porthole about a year ago...
VegasRacer
I took a deep 4 rear valance, cut a rectangular piece with the hole off center and flipped it. Now the hole, with the nice factory lip, is in the proper location for the 6 exhaust.
Ferg
I think the 4 was further inside...

My car according to records has a factory six valance. Appears to be correct looking at other original six portholes, exhaust exit just to the left of the bumper tow plug when aligned vertically.

Click to view attachment

And this is a pic from the net, of a 4 cyc early valance. much more inside.

Click to view attachment

And a regular 4 exit on short valance

Click to view attachment

To my eye, it looks like a normal 4 exit location and the Porthole exit on a early six valance is almost in the same location.

My car above is a 4cyc with 2.0 muffler exiting the six valance, I can't tell if the muffler tip was modified or not. Building new muffler and want correct fitment.

I expect now that I did more research I will leave the tip unwelded and weld on site perfecting the exit.
ClayPerrine
I bought a low mileage /6 porthole valence for Elwood. Now I have to remove the exhaust pipe on the stainless muffler and add one that will go out the correct hole.

Anyone know the size of the factory exhaust pipe?
ClayPerrine
The 4 cylinder valence has the hole/cutout farther to the outside. It is funny that the /4 valence matches the location for the 911 muffler outlet. But the 914/6 doesn't.

Why would Porsche make a custom muffler and valence for the 914/6 when they could use the /4 one with a 911 muffler?? confused24.gif screwy.gif
Ferg
Thanks Clay, that helps, going to build a Triad single out to exit my six valance. Trying to determine how much modification the stock 4 exit unit he already builds will need, but I think I'm going to have him ship it un-welded to I can perfect the exit location here on site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.