Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would cause this damage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Not my car, it’s the cheap one in Santa Ana.

It flexes when you push up on it.

Yikes.

IPB Image
SirAndy
What flexes when you push where?
confused24.gif

PS: Looks rusty ...

Tdskip
Hi Andy-hope you’re having a good day.

Sorry for the upside down picture, but there is a bout a three eights inch gap between the donut metal in the underlying body of the car. You can push up on the donut in the middle will come close to meeting the underbody where it belongs.

The rust on this car is really odd-the core tub is solid including the battery tray and longs but this and the front fenders near the cowl are not good.

I didn’t see any signs of accident damage, which makes me wonder why thirs is separated. Maybe this section was replaced at some point and they never properly welded it into place and it popped loose?
Tom_T
When I hang from the ceiling ....

It looks like the doughnut has been ripped from it's weld points on 2-3 sides & sits a few cm's high/low.

So ask yourself:
"What could cause that much deformation?
..... & do I really want to risk buying this car with that type of abuse?"

beerchug.gif
Tom
//////
Retroracer
The other indication of possible damage/repair is the kink in the rocker seam as you look back down the car - that should be dead straight with well defined drain holes (ideally!).

Some shenanigans there.

- Tony
Tdskip
Hi Tom and Tony, hope you both are having a good day as well.

I’ve already decided to pass on this one but it seemed worth posting to get some idea of just how unusual this was and continue my education in 914’s.

I did notice that the paint was cracking on that side (driver) rear fender above the wheel. The trunk metal is all straight and doesn’t have any waviness, but I wonder if it took a hit at some point in that area and that is what did it?
falcor75
That part isnt structural more than that it spreads the load from the jack. On my car it was only connected with a few spotwelds and with water getting between the sheets the minute the car left the factory its all down to time. Once one spot weld lets go it increases the load on the others so then the process accelerates. I dont think the car has hit anything in that area if it was it would have taken a much larger hit on the rear suspension arm/points.
Tdskip
Thank you Mats
PanelBilly
That’s not an important factor in choosing a project car.
Rand
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 24 2019, 09:47 AM) *

Huh? The hell it's not! How do you know? It is a huge factor pointing to the need to look very carefully at the rest of the car with strict scrutiny. Usually when something is that messed up, there are going to be worse things elsewhere.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 24 2019, 10:13 AM) *
Huh? The hell it's not! How do you know? It is a huge factor pointing to the need to look very carefully at the rest of the car with strict scrutiny. Usually when something is that messed up, there are going to be worse things elsewhere.

agree.gif

Gotta agree here, while the piece itself may not be structural, damage there is indicative of more problems in that area.
shades.gif
Rand
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 24 2019, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 24 2019, 10:13 AM) *

agree.gif

Gotta agree here, while the piece itself may not be structural, damage there is indicative of more problems in that area.
shades.gif

It had to take a seriously hard knock.
Tdskip
The guy apparently sold for $3,000 yesterday.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 24 2019, 02:18 PM) *

The guy apparently sold for $3,000 yesterday.

there are still some real 914 deals out there

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.