Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 Bumble bee resurrected
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sholman5
In 1978 Gerry purchased his 74 LE in Hyannis Port, Mass from the local Porsche dealership. He originally saw the car when it arrived new at the dealership. 4 years later he saw it on the used car lot, inquired about it and purchased it. He drove it 2 or 3 times, one being a trip to Ohio and a few road Rallys. Over time he decided to restore it. Over time he did small things to it. As in life, things happen and projects are put aside to take care of things that are more important. Gerry is a Master Electrician and owning his own business. During the recession he had to make cuts in his staff which in turn put more on his plate at that time. Years later himself and his wife Betty formed a duo singing and playing country western music, which took alot of their time.

Many years later they moved to Florida and along came the 74 Bumble bee. Mass in the summer and Florida in the fall. I met Gerry in the fall of 2017 and heard of the 74 LE and his story. Many of us had offered to help him get it back on the road again. Finally after a year of no calls to help, I called him one weekend in November of 2018 and told him that I was coming over to help get it back on the road again, after learning that he hadn't driven it in 40 years. I set a date of Jan 20th 2019 as our target date as it was the first KK of the year. After many weekends and a few evenings she was ready to make her debut. In the end for me I got to know Gerry very well and we have formed a great friendship thru the 914. For me it became more about Gerry than the car. My wish was to see him drive the car that he truly charishes and dreamed of driving it once again. I am happy to say that my wish and his dream came true. She made her debut. I stood back and enjoyed the smile on his face as he talked and showed people his car. It's not about me and what I had done. It was and is all about Gerry. 82 years old and still young at heart.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
sholman5

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914_7T3
That's an amazing story and a beautiful car too!

wub.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
phillstek
That is a truly beautiful thing you've done. beerchug.gif
AZBanks
You win the internet for the week. Awesome story.
bandjoey
WONDERFUL! Get him set up on World too.
Coondog
Your a good man Sir, God Bless you.
FlacaProductions
THIS.
Blue6
cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Chris, both you and Gerry are an inspiration to us...the epitome of what 914s are about. What an example for the rest of us. Thanks.
PanelBilly
Great work!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.