Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orange suspension (throttle cable) strap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Been wondering about these orange straps, I have only seen a very few. What do we know about them?

What is their function?

My limited info suggests they are on the 1973 cars...but were these provided on all/other years? D-Jet only or L-Jet too? All engine sizes?

Original factory equipment or recall?

What are these made of - cloth, vinyl, rubber? Length/width/thickness? A pair of holes for mounting?

Anyone have these available or willing to repro them? I will buy one if available.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com
@Mikey914
@bdstone914
Mikey914
We have actually reproduced these and are in the process of trying to figure out the same thing. I believe they were made to hold the throttle cable at an optimum angle.
Our sample was from a 73 also.

Pics to follow tomorrow
914Next
Yes. My '73 has one and it is known to be original on the car. In fact, I think the pic Jeff is showing is my car. Also noticed there is one on the '73 that George is currently selling. Noticed it because you never see them.

A pic from George's car:

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
is iit this strap ,, re-purposed ??
on a six ive seen they were grey...maybe thats my hair color though
914Sixer
Yep, repurposed strap. Also used on early 911 to hold brake cables same as the 914
914Next
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 23 2019, 08:17 AM) *

Possibly repurposed but have never seen anything other than the orange one on 914's. Was the orange strap used on any 911's? 914-6?

Am sure that the orange strap was original to my car and likely many/most/all '73's at least?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes throttle holding cable, you can certainly see how original a car is if it is still connected,. Same part number as a 356 cable strap, available for years. Just no one knew about it., Just got a car in and still has it attached. Neat vintage concours item

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 22 2019, 10:46 PM) *

We have actually reproduced these and are in the process of trying to figure out the same thing. I believe they were made to hold the throttle cable at an optimum angle.
Our sample was from a 73 also.

Pics to follow tomorrow
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Well I'll be...! I've had this thing in my grungy spare hardware bin for 30 years and never had a clue what it was. Now I know. Thanks! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Great dialogue...but questions remain:

They have been documented here on several 1973 /4 cars so far...but were these provided on all/other years? D-Jet only or L-Jet too? All engine sizes? They are appropriate for /6s apparently but how were the three PN's used and how were they mounted in a /6?

Material - cloth, vinyl, rubber? Length/width/thickness? A pair of holes for mounting? Grommets/no grommets?

The two from Pelican above look similar to but not the right color or length. Three PNs are listed...for the /6's.
914Next
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 23 2019, 10:00 AM) *

They have been documented here on several 1973 /4 cars so far...but were these provided on all/other years? D-Jet only or L-Jet too? All engine sizes? They are appropriate for /6s apparently.

Material - cloth, vinyl, rubber? Length/width/thickness? A pair of holes for mounting? Grommets/no grommets?

The two from Pelican above look similar to but not the right color or length. Three PNs are listed...for the /6's.

Jeff, Happy to take more pics and get measurements on mine this weekend. As I recall it is cloth with a rubberized backing.
bbrock
Mine too. Cloth canvas with what appears to be a tar or bitumen type backing. The orange color looks like it was sprayed on somewhat thick originally and is flaking off on mine. Mine came off a 73. Most likely from a 2.0 L but I can't rule out (about a 30% chance) that it came off a '73 1.7L I used to drive.

I want to keep mine but would be happy to loan it out if it helps for reproduction.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 23 2019, 09:46 AM) *

Well I'll be...! I've had this thing in my grungy spare hardware bin for 30 years and never had a clue what it was. Now I know. Thanks! beerchug.gif

Diggity...same here! Thought a prior owner had something fall out of their glovebox or something...

I can also use one for the accel cable on the carb-equipped race car, replace the tye-wrap I've been using...
rgolia
Definitely not on my 74 when it arrived home from the dealer.
sixnotfour
brent whats the length ??
bbrock
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 23 2019, 09:54 AM) *

18cm x 2cm (and folded in half of course). Grommets are centered 1cm from each end. Secured with an M6x15 bolt and flat washer.
sixnotfour
here it is related to accelator parts
sixnotfour
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 23 2019, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 23 2019, 09:54 AM) *

18cm x 2cm (and folded in half of course). Grommets are centered 1cm from each end. Secured with an M6x15 bolt and flat washer.

sixnotfour
They are appropriate for /6s apparently but how were the three PN's used and how were they mounted in a /6?
Mikey914
Grey or black $6
Will be ready next week
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 23 2019, 11:47 AM) *

Grey or black $6
Will be ready next week

One of the things I’ve had on the back burner for awhile.
Note the ones listed in grey currently don’t match the length of the actual part I removed from the car. I believe they made the 911 version and super ended the part so one size fits all. So they would look out of place on our cars.
Mikey914
Just need to pack up
Mikey914
Will get listed tonight
914Next
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 23 2019, 03:45 PM) *

Will get listed tonight

The material looks the same Mark and looks like a nice reproduction of the original Are those orange though? Can't really tell from the pics.
Mikey914
Yes and here is the comparison between the 40 year old part and mine. Also correct texture on the vinyl part too.
AHudson
My 1970 -6 had a couple of these, but this is the most recent pic I can find. Engine and trans are out as we do a reseal and full clean up of engine compartment.

This car was restored by a seriously anal guy (not me!) and won two Parades in a row with it, so I'll make an assumption these are correct.

This shot is at the front of engine compartment, passenger side. You can see the fuel pump connector boot unplugged. I ordered new from Sierra Madre (gray), though I later found them a couple places. Mikey do you offer gray as well?
Firstcar

Mark,
i’d Like to purchase one of these but can’t find them on either the new or the old site. Are they available yet?
Click to view attachment
euro911
Oooh ... will these work on a 71 1.7L? ...

... something else to add to my cart idea.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 23 2019, 07:00 AM) *

They have been documented here on several 1973 /4 cars so far...but were these provided on all/other years? D-Jet only or L-Jet too? All engine sizes? They are appropriate for /6s apparently but how were the three PN's used and how were they mounted in a /6?

The strap is not present on my all original Feb.73/4, and was never present. The throttle cable is too low to be held as such on the D-Jet and ECU on Mistress.
mzapisek
My new throttle cable isn’t long enough when using the cable strap. Is there a longer cable I should be using?
Mikey914
May be a function of the maker of the cable not allowing for the strap. I will need to check, but as we are venturing into cable manufacturing, I will verify they fit on ours.

They are right here for those that need them - https://914rubber.com/accelerator-cable-sus...for-porsche-914
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 23 2019, 09:00 AM) *

not on L-jet.
mine has never had one and its fairly original.
secondly there is no where to affix it on an L jet, the ECU bracket is not the same as the D jet ECU bracket, different design

PET indicates only on 914/6 and 914 2.0

Click to view attachment

makes sense why its there on a 2.0, due to orientation of throttle body which is upright on the intake plenum?

nice repro part by 914 rubber. another obscure detail for the fanatics. biggrin.gif
r_towle
we used to make fun of the 356 guys talking about things like this.

Well, we arrived.

BTW, with having owned probably 15 or more of these..and seen many at shows....I have never ever seen this strap in place.
I have no doubt it should be there....just never knew.

rich
gandalf_025
One that i just took off my car..

Click to view attachment free
wonkipop
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 29 2023, 12:52 PM) *

Well, we arrived.

BTW, with having owned probably 15 or more of these..and seen many at shows....I have never ever seen this strap in place.

rich

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif god help us.

its a whacko detail for sure. what a world it was before zip ties? beer.gif

rhodyguy
Good thread. Informative.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
to give the cable a smoother routing to the throttle body, we have factory ones on the shelf

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 22 2019, 10:12 PM) *

Been wondering about these orange straps, I have only seen a very few. What do we know about them?

What is their function?

My limited info suggests they are on the 1973 cars...but were these provided on all/other years? D-Jet only or L-Jet too? All engine sizes?

What are these made of - cloth, vinyl, rubber? Length/width/thickness? A pair of holes for mounting?

Anyone have these available or willing to repro them? I will buy one if available.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com
@Mikey914
@bdstone914

914werke
confused24.gif I have a apparently 50 yr old OE one on my car.
Looks a bit tatty but still does the job rolleyes.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 29 2023, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 29 2023, 12:52 PM) *

Well, we arrived.

rich

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif god help us.

its a whacko detail for sure. what a world it was before zip ties? beer.gif

This is the problem with liking a 50 year old car. We have talked about everything else already...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.