Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge Instrumentation Cluster What lights for what ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VW Aircooled Society
I am using the following 914 Gauge Cluster on my 1964 Titled Meyers Manx Dune Buggy...

I am curious as to the varios plastic covered glass lenses for the various lights on the instrument cluster such as Generator , Turn signals and such. Instead of going with the LED strips i have opted to replace the bulbs with BA7s LED bulbs

I also see two sets of Blue receptacles and wonder which one is the high beam on the tachometer or the one on the speedometer ????

Should i use colored LED bulbs in the already corresponding plastic colored lens receptacle or just use the cool white LEDs

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bandjoey
Led in the generator light will fail the alternator charging. For the rest, Why not?
Tack is high beam and speedometer driving light indicator.
VW Aircooled Society
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 23 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Led in the generator light will fail the alternator charging. For the rest, Why not?
Tack is high beam and speedometer driving light indicator.

Thanks
So the generator light should remain standard bulb so it will flicker.
Should the Oil pressure "Green" also remain as Standard bulb ?
Tachometer "Blue" is High Beam
Speedometer "Blue" is Driving lights like Fog lamps or Hella H500 Driving Lamps as in pic below?

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
The "driving lights" means headlight switch out to the first position, so the lights in the rear turn signal buckets and the side markers come on, but not the headlights.

The only one that is necessary to have an incandescent bulb in is the alternator warning light. Others can be replaced if you prefer.

Pay attention to the direction that current flows through the circuit, though. LEDs are diodes, and will basically stop current trying to flow through them "backwards", so if you switch the power and ground leads they just won't work. I don't think anything other than the alternator light can have current flowing each direction, but the hazard light/turn signal circuitry is a bit complex and they might possibly wind up biased the wrong way at times.

--DD
VW Aircooled Society
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2019, 10:46 PM) *

The "driving lights" means headlight switch out to the first position, so the lights in the rear turn signal buckets and the side markers come on, but not the headlights.

The only one that is necessary to have an incandescent bulb in is the alternator warning light. Others can be replaced if you prefer.

Pay attention to the direction that current flows through the circuit, though. LEDs are diodes, and will basically stop current trying to flow through them "backwards", so if you switch the power and ground leads they just won't work. I don't think anything other than the alternator light can have current flowing each direction, but the hazard light/turn signal circuitry is a bit complex and they might possibly wind up biased the wrong way at times.

--DD

ok thanks
Olympic 914
If you can get them, use the same color bulb as the indicator. you will get more light.

Example
With a white light behind a red lens the colored lens filters out all of the colors other than red, so all of the light doesn't get through. with a red bulb behind a red lens all of the light passes through the lens and it is brighter.

Same for the other colors.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.