Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Logical Descendent of the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beebo Kanelle
Just a random thought - Had the occasion to drive a MR2 Spyder and I was blown away at the similarities to the 914... neither the Boxster nor Cayman are as close... Driving the little Toyota had much more the feel of the 914. Has anybody else experienced this? Click to view attachment
Tom_T
agree.gif

And that is why Porsche should have kept the "Sub-Boxster" model in the line-up with their new flat 4's - instead of putting the 4 into the Boxster/Cayman & calling it a 718 to try to cover both bases - which many in the Porsche community do not like the loss of a flat-6 WBX!
dry.gif

As for the styling - I prefer the prior iteration of the MR2 that looked more like a mini-Ferrari, than your "Froggy" iteration above - although that version does also draw upon the old classic Bug-eye Sprite look!
smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

agree.gif
AZBanks
I've never driven one but I always loved the look of the gen 2 MR2. Mini Ferrari is a perfect description.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 23 2019, 08:48 AM) *

Just a random thought - Had the occasion to drive a MR2 Spyder and I was blown away at the similarities to the 914... neither the Boxster nor Cayman are as close... Driving the little Toyota had much more the feel of the 914. Has anybody else experienced this? Click to view attachment

^ Tested those when they were new, for Sports Car International. Killer car, and you aren't alone.

Vastly underrated, even if they were clubbed with the ugly stick and Fisher Price water gun plastics inside and out.
Ferg
I'm continually impressed with my 95 Turbo, I have not had any seat time in that generation but I agree with the comparison from what I have read.

mgphoto
I have an article somewhere that states Toyota bought a 914 to disassemble, this was the basis for the MR 2.
Johny Blackstain
I used to own a 92 turbo & it was very similar to the 914... the t-tops leaked in the rain just like the targa top laugh.gif
Beebo Kanelle
With regards to the 3rd generation, the dimensions are the the same as a 914. And of its odd styling, many folks think the 914 has odd styling

The similarities and dynamics were, on the whole, were overwhelmingly familiar to a 914 owner... except everything worked without fault.

The 2nd generation, whilst prettier, is based on the Camry and is approx 600 lbs heavier.
Ferg
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 23 2019, 01:42 PM) *

With regards to the 3rd generation, the dimensions are the the same as a 914. And of its odd styling, many folks think the 914 has odd styling

The similarities and dynamics were, on the whole, were overwhelmingly familiar to a 914 owner... except everything worked without fault.

The 2nd generation, whilst prettier, is based on the Camry and is approx 600 lbs heavier.

Camry? Educate me?
Beebo Kanelle
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 23 2019, 03:16 PM) *

Camry? Educate me?

The SW20 was based on Camry running gear whereas the SW10 And SW30 utilize running gear from the Corolla. To Quote the experts:
"There's nothing special that makes the MR2 (Mk1, 2 or 3) drivetrain "mid-engined". The AW11 (Mk1) is just Corolla running gear with a modified shift linkage on a standard Corolla (C5x) gearbox. The SW20 is the same but with Celica/Camry running gear (ie 3S/5S motor and E5x gearbox). The ZZW30 MR-Spyder is more of the same, again with Celica (or Corolla Sportivo) engine/box (C5/C6 variant again)."

In fact, the Camry V6 swap is common swap for the SW20
buck toenges
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jan 23 2019, 02:29 PM) *

I have an article somewhere that states Toyota bought a 914 to disassemble, this was the basis for the MR 2.

I heard it wast Honda that tore apart a 914 for the del sol. Even if the del sol was front engine.

Buck
914_teener
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 23 2019, 12:42 PM) *

Sorry........its. the 986 and now the 718.

But eveeyone knows you can.t turbo a flat four.
Rand
These are all thoughts I had before deciding on the 914 when I was seeking a unique targa mid engine sports car. Yeah, Honda even made one. Lame. Fiat too. I landed on the 914. They are all nice and all... None are classics as unique as the 914. No yotas for me.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 23 2019, 05:38 PM) *

These are all thoughts I had before deciding on the 914 when I was seeking a unique targa mid engine sports car. Yeah, Honda even made one. Lame. Fiat too. I landed on the 914. They are all nice and all... None are classics as unique as the 914. No yotas for me.

right evolution is often not for the best...think time period...
Amphicar770
I had a gen 2 turbo. Nice car but far less man to machine connection than 914. I like me 914 far more. The Gen 1 MR2s have become increasingly appealing to me over the years but never owned one.
adolimpio
My wife and I test drove one with a tee top the first year it was introduced. Having had a 914 in the 70s, I instantly fell in love. Then the dealer did something I never expected. It was Friday and he said "take it home for the weekend". Needless to say, we could not give it back. The dealer did not know us, but I guess he had a feeling.

Enjoyed it for 4 years until our son came along and traded it for a minivan.
Beebo Kanelle
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 23 2019, 06:54 PM) *

I had a gen 2 turbo. Nice car but far less man to machine connection than 914. I like me 914 far more. The Gen 1 MR2s have become increasingly appealing to me over the years but never owned one.

Yes! that was my opinion of the 2nd Gen MR2... But I was referring specifically to the 3rd Gen MR2 - It has more than just a casual sprinkling of 914-ness
horizontally-opposed
I would take a Gen3 MR2 over a Miata (or at least most Miatas) every time.

It really is a great car. Still don't love the looks, but I didn't start out loving the looks of a lot of my cars…
ConeDodger
My best friend in high school’s parents owned a Toyota dealership. Toyota City in Brooklyn Park Minnesota. I don’t remember the year but it was an MR2 Supercharged that they tossed me the keys to. When I turned off of Brooklyn Blvd on to 694 I nailed it. I still wishfully think of finding one in good shape. That was one quick car...
I was a dirt poor grad student or I’d have bought it when I got back to the dealership.
Dave_Darling
Tim of Tim's 914 Fan Page (ancient on-line 914 history) moved on from the 914 to a 3rd-gen MR2 Spyder when those first came out.

I'd say you're not the only one to notice the similarity.

--DD
Chris H.
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2019, 09:36 PM) *

Tim of Tim's 914 Fan Page (ancient on-line 914 history)

Now that IS an ANCIENT reference...wow...flash back....
Craigers17
I had this 2000 model a few years ago. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. I never had any issues with it in the 2-3 years I owned it...not even a check engine light....and the car was at least 14-15 years old when I owned it.

Definitely had a 914 feel. I actually loved the interior as well...everything was just where it should have been visually, and not a lot of stuff that didn't need to be there. Only two downsides....even though it ran great and didn't smoke, it somehow went through the oil....I would have to add a 1/2 quart or so every 3000 miles.

Other downside....geared HORRIBLY for the highway. They should have been 6 speeds from the factory. If memory serves correctly....if I was cruising at 80, I'd easily be around 4000 rpms...it just felt like it needed one more gear.

Finally, they are small....after the second time someone crashed into me, I sold it. One lady literally put her SUV in reverse at a yellow light and ran over me. confused24.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Ferg
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 23 2019, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 23 2019, 03:16 PM) *

Camry? Educate me?

The SW20 was based on Camry running gear whereas the SW10 And SW30 utilize running gear from the Corolla. To Quote the experts:
"There's nothing special that makes the MR2 (Mk1, 2 or 3) drivetrain "mid-engined". The AW11 (Mk1) is just Corolla running gear with a modified shift linkage on a standard Corolla (C5x) gearbox. The SW20 is the same but with Celica/Camry running gear (ie 3S/5S motor and E5x gearbox). The ZZW30 MR-Spyder is more of the same, again with Celica (or Corolla Sportivo) engine/box (C5/C6 variant again)."

In fact, the Camry V6 swap is common swap for the SW20

Gotcha, I thought you were referring to the Chassis. driving.gif
buck toenges
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 23 2019, 07:38 PM) *

NSX lame? It was a tour de force! I would joke to the other Porsche drivers that I would keep the a.c. on when I would go around the autocross up in Mishawaka back in the early '90s so to keep it competitive.
Rob-O
I think he meant the Honda Del Sol...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if a descendant from the very very bad side of the family!

QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 23 2019, 09:48 AM) *

Unobtanium-inc
I was once asked to put a Porsche badge on Frank Serpico's MR2. He came to our open house one year and said everyone always thinks it's a Porsche, can we make it one? So we did!
Rav914
A MR2 but not the Ferrari Mondial? The Ferrari had a very basic interior too.
Beebo Kanelle
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jan 24 2019, 11:40 AM) *

A MR2 but not the Ferrari Mondial? The Ferrari had a very basic interior too.

I was talking specifically about the MR2 Spyder.... the weight, dimensions, driving experience was very 914-esque
Rand
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jan 24 2019, 06:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 23 2019, 07:38 PM) *

NSX lame? It was a tour de force! I would joke to the other Porsche drivers that I would keep the a.c. on when I would go around the autocross up in Mishawaka back in the early '90s so to keep it competitive.

I'm not sure how "NSX lame" was interpreted. I Love the NSX. I just wish Honda would have put some real power to it. Potential weeened... dinky twinky engine holding back potential... Imagine what that car could have been.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 24 2019, 06:21 AM) *

The Del Slow was front-engine FWD. It was based on the Civic platform, so shared a whole lot with that.

Now, if they had taken that drivetrain and moved it back behind the seats, they could have had an easy mid-engine runabout....

Perhaps the person dissing the Hondas was referring to the Beat? Though I think that's a nifty little car myself!!

--DD
Rand
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 24 2019, 06:21 AM) *

And that makes sense. Thanks. I thought it was obvious.
Rand
Hi Dave.

I don't diss Hondas. I ride them every day.

I will leave the discussion of the Beat to the peanut gallery. But they are the ones missing the frugal transportation. I haven't gone there yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.