Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: registering and hosting Web name/site
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Any particular "gotcha's" I should be aware of??

Does everyone still go thru Network Associates to registar a Domain name?

What about hosting?

I don't mind paying a little since I'm not too keen on those free-pop-up-ad hosting sites.
Demick
You can register a domain name for as little as $8 a year now, and you can have a hosting company for as little as $5 per year as well without popups. First you need to figure out your needs (storage, bandwidth, etc), and then go from there.

Demick
Part Pricer
Don't go through NSI. All they do is charge you a lot of money.

The last few domains that I registered I went through godaddy.com They are only 8.95 a year and have a good control panel.

Hosting? That could warrant a lengthy discussion. I currently have 6 sites hosted at totalchoicehosting.com and I am very happy with them after being totally burnt by my last host. It all depends what you need. I prefer UNIX boxes, some people like NT.
seanery
Kellzey and I are both using Esphinx.net.

I'm very pleased, the price is right, too.
I already owned the domain, so I'm not sure what they charge, but the hosting is a real deal $4.95/mo if you pay for a year.

I get:
6 gigs worth of traffic /month
1 gig hard drive space
Unlimited POP or web email accounts
great customer service, too

I recomend them highly.
SirAndy
pay me $10 bucks a month and i'll host it for ya cool.gif

Andy
seanery
Will it work more reliably than this page has been the last 2 weeks! laugh.gif

-sorry Andy, had to do it!
JeffBowlsby
MIke, you didnt mentin what your purpose was, but if its P-car related, have you considered Rennlists website hosting?

Very inexpensive. If youa re already a member, then its free!
Brad Roberts
And its slower than beejesus from Ca.

Andy.. I thought you where out of IP addresses ?? Would you just do "forwarding" ?

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 14 2003, 04:00 PM)
Will it work more reliably than this page has been the last 2 weeks! laugh.gif

-sorry Andy, had to do it!

youuuu little ....

com'on, i only had to restart the server twice this year.
rolleyes.gif

Andy
Mueller
Jeff,

It's for my bearing kits....I was not too sure if Rennlist would be okay with a "commercial or business" being hosted off thier servers....

I already have a rennlist personal site and membership......
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2003, 04:45 PM)
Andy.. I thought you where out of IP addresses ?? Would you just do "forwarding" ?

naaa, if i actually had someone pay for hosting ...
32 more IP's are only 5 bucks a month wink.gif

Andy
Brad Roberts
Wow.. it is cheap.

I'll kick in for more IP's.. I have people looking right now for space.

Funny how they are giving away IP's now... I had to write "right of passenge" emails to get full class C ranges 3 years ago.

B
JeffBowlsby
P-car related businesses are welcome on Rennlist...thats where my harness site is hosted.

I dont notice it being slow from my access lines...I have dial-up at home and a T-1 at the office, but the photos seem to be problematic to some users though and I am not sure why.
Britain Smith
I use ipowerweb.com for only like $7/month. I get 500mb and 100 e-mails I think. I love it and use it for all the sites that I design and host.

-Britain
Qarl
http://www.register.com

or

http://www.cheap-domainregistration.com/

I also recommend the E-sphinx that Seanery recommended. The site was transferred and runnign in 24 hours. It has a really sweet user interface for management, mailing lists, e-mail setup. They accept Front Page extensions. And something like $50 per year if paid in advance.
Brad Roberts
Jeff,

he has ..what ?? 20k users accessing 2 T-1 lines going to servers in his personal office.

A T-1 is the equivalent of 36 56K dial up lines.

B
Tony C
Mike, stay away from Value Web! Poor customer service and an email server that makes Andy's look like the Atomic clock.

-Tony C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.