Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter won't DIS-Engage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Taylor
Well well well, it's just a roller coaster of fun over here. So tonight, I go to f-around with the starting issue with the car. Tonight I could hear the key making some sort of connection with the starter, so I thought hey maybe it's wiring. I was right smilie_pokal.gif . I See a wire loose on the starter, so I pull all the connections clean them up, and replace them in what I believed to be the proper places. I go to hit the key and to my happiness I find the car starts, but wait what's that extra noise? It sounds like the starter is still engaged! AHAHAHA so I pull the battery cables and it shuts off. I put them back on every thing is peachey. Hit it again, same run around. Hummm. Played with the wires, nope seem to be in the right places. Argh, so I throw in the towl for tonight, and turn to you guys biggrin.gif . What do you think? This is really bizzar if you ask me.
Eric

Oh on the flip side, I think if I can fix this and find the dam timing light, it's gona be a driver biggrin.gif
Rick_Eberle
I had this happen a few years ago. It turned out to be the ignition switch. When I jiggled the key, the starter would disengage.

Before I replaced the ignition switch, though, I killed my starter when I couldn't hear it over the stereo one day.

I drove off with it engaged, and got about 100m when the starter seized up and locked the flywheel. I thought I'd seized the engine!

Check the starter AND the switch.
Bruce Allert
One way to check the starter or ignition switch is to run 2 wires from the starter to a button. A "remote start switch." (1 wire to the big stud & 1 to the spade above the stud.)
Turn on the key then use the remote to start it. If the starter disengages when you let off the button then it's prolly the ignition. I had a remote button in mine & used it when I needed to turn the engine over & watch whatever it was that needed watching! unsure.gif

........b
Eric Taylor
We'll huh- sounds like the switch after all. I've got one on order so no problem. Now I just gota replace the dam switch. Argh. Oh we'll. Probably needed to do that anyway, as the switch is original i'm sure smile.gif. Oh Bruce I'm pretty sure your right, as when I would do the screwdriver trick it would start right up and disengage no problem. Anything else it could be before I tear the colum apart?

Eric
Eric Taylor
We'll I can rule the switch out now. I just swapped one from the 2.0 car, and it did the same thing. Unless Both switches are bad, it's going to be something else. What could it be?

Does anyone have advice on how to make sure the starter is properly wired?
Eric
john rogers
Is the starter a replacement or one of the hi-torque type of starters? If so it could be the one for a VW Bus which has a longer shaft and will jam when it is engaged. I had one on my race car a long time ago and it siezed when I started the engine and revved it some.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jun 22 2005, 07:20 AM)
Is the starter a replacement or one of the hi-torque type of starters? If so it could be the one for a VW Bus which has a longer shaft and will jam when it is engaged. I had one on my race car a long time ago and it siezed when I started the engine and revved it some.

Will the VW Bus starter swap NEVER END? Won't fit, won't work. It'll bolt in, but the shaft will flop around in there. The 914/911/VW automatic starter has NO shaft protruding, while the VW manual tranny starter does. The VW style trans has a bushing in the case to accept the shaft, and that's the front support. The SR 17x, which is the correct starter for our cars, has a built in front support. This starter fits VW applications, but the VW starter WILL NOT work for us because the case DOES NOT have a front support bushing. It's got a bigass hole in the case where the bushing would go. I don't care what parts counter ignoramus told you the VW one fits or works, he's (she's) wrong! Anybody perpetrating this fraudulent information is just as wrong as the counter person. No amount of repetition is gonna make it true. The Cap'n, disappointed that this very rant took place here in the last couple of weeks. Didn't work, either!
Eric Taylor
Well I figured it out. What an intersting find, looks like my crack shack wiring was the culprit. One of the posts was missing a lock washer to keep it tightned down, so after replacing that little guy, the starter got a good connection, and now the car starts and stops effortsly. Thanks for all the help, amazing how a 10 cent part can create such havoc on the car.
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.