Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here I go again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
I drove this car home from PHX maybe 15 years ago. I bought a rebuilt engine for it which didn't work out. I wanted to do a -6 conversion but then found a '70 conversion project on Ebay and went with that. While I waited and worked on that project I found a good '76...but the engine was tired. While I did a home rebuild on that I decided to turn it into a Cremesickle wannabe. That one finally went together and I had a good 40K+ miles of fun with it. Last spring the '70 -6 conversion was '95% done and after a few breakin miles I decided I better let someone else enjoy the drive. I wasn't getting any younger and still had the '72 to build. So the '70 sold last summer and the '76 is now in Germany. And the '72 came home from storage today.

So here we go again. I have all the parts for a side shifter. No rust, older respray in original color. Painted bumpers, naked sails and Pedrinis. It doesn't get any better than this.

Click to view attachment
eyesright
Getting ready for a wash and parts cleaning.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Exciting - please keep us posted on your build/progress.
Coondog
Someone likes Yellow Porsche’s....... smile.gif
914Sixer
It is a never ending evolution. biggrin.gif
eyesright
I cleaned up some sheet metal before the cold came in this week. I made a real mess on my concrete drive...but what the hay! Its all for a good cause. Kitty litter and a cement bock and some power purple...and whatever stains are left disappear after a heavy rain.

Click to view attachment

eyesright
This is a CB case. The engine ran variously on 2 or 3 or 4 cylinders. It is a 1.8 build with hydraulic lifters and I can only guess the problem was with the lifters coming and going. When I drove it last I could tell I was only using 2 cylinders on the last few miles home. I did a compression test and found 150 on the driver's side cylinders --that's good -- and 30 on both the pass side cylinders--that's bad. Maybe I should have just pulled the lifters and cleaned them and pumped them up as a trial but I was pretty hacked.

I did a 2.0 rebuild on my '76 several years ago and got really nice results with a HAM (Len Hoffman) rebuild of the heads and a Raby 9550 cam kit, AA flat top pistons and cylinders. It ran great.

Last year I bought some of the new 2.0 head castings that HAM imported, with this engine in mind. The crank and rods look good so I think I'll stick with that. I just received a Raby 9590 cam kit from the Type 4 store. The 1.8 cylinders look good but I'll go with an AA 96mm P&C kit. Might as well upgrade at least a bit. I've gone back and forth between a 1911 and a 2056. Hey, this is a '72 so a 2L would be out of place. But then these heads have a 3 bolt intake so it will look like a 2L. Let's see, new heads, cam kit upgrade, why not take full advantage? Okay, my reasoning is lame but I'll be pleased. These things are fun no matter which way you go. The next one will be a 2056.

Click to view attachment

eyesright
Initial cleaning with Gunk degreaser and Power Purple. Now I'm scraping gaskets and and case mating surface (easy does it.) A little dirt packed into outer case crevices that I poke with a knife and small, dull screwdriver. This has taken most of the day, but the cold rain has moved on and the sun is out all day. Its been fun. I have a solvent gun that I'll use next and i may take it to Dumont's (in OKC) to have Mike check it out and give it a further professional cleaning. They come out of that deal looking new.

This is a CB case which is a 1.7 L engine from a '72-'73 bus. It has a GEX stamp. The crank spun freely and I don't see and damage. All 5 oil galleys are tapped and plugged. The bearings show only mild wear but I'll order new. The Raby 9590 cam kit arrived and also AA 96 mm cylinder assemblies. I'll need a temp sender plate. I thought I had one on the shelf but i can't find it. hmmm.

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
You can bore out your 1.8 cylinders to fit 96's....get the pistons first & have the shop bore the jugs to fit. My theory is that the seasoned 1.8's will be more stable than new 96's....
Dave_Darling
CB? That's from a VW Bus. Modified to have the right dipstick, which is good. Presumably the hole in the front of the case has a cover over it now?

--DD
eyesright
I am keeping the 1.8 cylinders. They are Cofap. I thought about boring them but there are no machine shops left in Lawton. That's not exactly true as there is one in town but they only deal with heavy diesel engines and fabrication. I know the guy well and he would probably do it for me but its outside their usual business. If this 1911 goes well maybe I'll look into it for a 2056 next.

Yes the fuel pump port used on a bus engine on the lower case is blocked off. This engine had the usual oily dirt build up on the case. but the fuel pump block-off, the plugged oil galleys, and the case seams were not leaking at all. I think the only oil source was seepage from the pushrod tubes and the oil strainer.

Here I'm checking the runout on the crankshaft. The needle barely moved. I'll take the rods off and the center bearing and check it again later. Its too cold to work this AM so I am posting instead of working.

This is an old Craftsman dial indicator that I bought 30 years ago along with a lathe. But these things are much less expensive now and easily available from Harbor Freight. And, rest easy, I'll be looking to set up a clean space when I go to putting things together.

Click to view attachment
Mayne
Nice thread. I’m enjoying the details of the engine build. I just picked up a good 2L crank for the future 2056 build out of my 1.7, so I appreciate the info on the process. But no Type 4 action for me until I finish my engine out reseal on my 944 turbo! blink.gif
eyesright
Here's the parking at Dumont Porsche in Oklahoma City last week.

Click to view attachment
eyesright
I cleaned my crankcase with solvent, Power Purple, and soap and water, then took it up to have Mike (Dumont) run it through the cleaning vat.

Click to view attachment
eyesright
The next step was to polish and mic the crank. The rod bearings were standard and the mains 2 under. They had some rod nuts and flywheel bolts in stock which I took with me on the spot. ...You never know when there will be a run on these things and you are the last one in line! ( In case of minor things like nuclear holocaust or zombie apocalypse maybe. ) Bearings are ordered. Rods sent out to be bushed.

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
QUOTE(eyesright @ Apr 6 2019, 12:17 PM) *

Here's the parking at Dumont Porsche in Oklahoma City last week.

Click to view attachment

Nice bunch of cars... including your yellow one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.