Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six - Oil Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
I have after market oil lines with AN fittings. The line from the tank to the cooler has a leak. Apparently at the cooler end. As I think about replacing the line, I’ve been thinking about putting in a fitting at the tank end with a valve or a threaded hole for a drain plug. Something to make draining the oil easier than disconnecting the hose. Anyone here ever done such a thing?
mepstein
Sorry, pic is turned sideways. An next time I drain the oil, I plan to safety wire the cap. Even though it points down, this pic is without the heat exchangers installed. They sit at least a couple inches lower than the T.
mb911
The lines I sell have a union in the middle of the main line. This allows for a way to drain there.
gms
As confident as I am that I would never leave a valve between my oil tank and engine closed I just cannot do it...too high a price to pay for a forgetful moment.

The T in the lines is a pretty good solution IMO
Mark Henry
A Tee with an EZ drain would be the best.
But...even then you will never get complete drainage wink.gif
gereed75
A simple solution is to drill a hole in the union between the tank hose and the cooler hose and tap the hole for a short bolt. I used an M6. I drilled the bolt head for safety wire.

Snip the wire, remove bolt, drain tank and lines, replace bolt. Rewire. I use a copper washer to seal the bolt.

Small. Simple. Safe. Works. If you forget to replace the bolt you will know right away.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 27 2019, 09:14 PM) *

A Tee with an EZ drain would be the best.
But...even then you will never get complete drainage wink.gif

Same with 911’s. Especially if you have a front oil cooler.
GeorgeRud
The factory solution with a connection at the oil line hanger works well, but a simple T fitting there would make for a cleaner draining experience. Amazing how much oil drains very quickly once those lines are disconnected.
mb911
I have also made tanks with 911 drains before .. This works pretty well.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 28 2019, 10:43 AM) *

The factory solution with a connection at the oil line hanger works well, but a simple T fitting there would make for a cleaner draining experience. Amazing how much oil drains very quickly once those lines are disconnected.

That's what I did, SS 3/4" Tee cut off the ends and welded on factory ends. Hangs on the hook. Might have been a 7/8" tee, the ID was the same as factory fittings.
The T has a 3/8" NPT plug in it, if I was to do it over I'd get a tee that takes a 1/2"NPT plug. Was going to use an EZ drain, but the NPT plug is really easy.

MoveQik
I have the same set up as Mepstein and it has worked perfectly for 12 years :-)
mepstein
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 28 2019, 02:32 PM) *

I have the same set up as Mepstein and it has worked perfectly for 12 years :-)

I copied the setup from someone. Ive read your build thread many times so it might have been you. beerchug.gif
targa72e
I have -16 lines and used this between the line to the tank and the cooler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16AN-AN-16-MALE-FE...=item2a771f1ad0

john
infraredcalvin
I saw somewhere somebody (maybe elephant racing?) installed a Schrader (air) valve in 911 oil line to the front cooler so they could pressureize and force old oil out.
infraredcalvin
Ahh yes, here it is...

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/911/...es/#prettyPhoto
sixnotfour
I just uncouple the oil lines...not in a hurry
jd74914
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jan 29 2019, 01:01 AM) *

I saw somewhere somebody (maybe elephant racing?) installed a Schrader (air) valve in 911 oil line to the front cooler so they could pressureize and force old oil out.

That's neat-I like that idea. I didn't realize until now (google search) that high temperature/pressure Schrader valve bodies/seals existed.
jfort
Hose taken to hose maker. It was leaking at the cooler end, the straight end. Making a new hose with aluminum fittings. This steel stuff is too heavy. Will drill and safety wire the cap. That's the plan anyway.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I would like to add a drain fitting in my oil line as well. I would rather not disturb the main connections for routine maintenance when you want to drain the tank/oil. This option seems like a great way to go. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
My solution. smile.gif
jfort
New line I had made is ready to go in

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(jfort @ Feb 6 2019, 05:07 PM) *

New line I had made is ready to go in

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 28 2019, 12:42 PM) *

The lines I sell have a union in the middle of the main line. This allows for a way to drain there.

Mines the same Ben but I drilled a hole on one of the hex flats and fitted a 1/8'' bsp bung ,works ok however always seems to take a while to drain the tank so I have just taken the hose of the union @ times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.