Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Scheel seats is easy!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
I have a set of Scheel seat that I’m contemplating on installing. I’m wondering as I’ve heard the rails are very hard to find. I need to get the seats out storage but thought I’d check here first as to if it’s possible to use the 914 rail or would I need to adopt? Thanks!
914Sixer
You can use stock rails, HOWEVER you may have to redrill the holes in the seat bases. MOST importantly make SURE you have 914 seats. The 911 ones look real close but the angle is WRONG. Take the seat bases out of car to do test fitting, way less hassle to check stuff.
mepstein
I also have Schell seats for my 914. I was planning on making an adaptor plate to fit the seats on the stock 914 rails and bracket. GTS classics also does reproduction brackets so I might give Stephan a ring and see what he has available.
https://www.classiccarseats.com/brackets.php

@wes
rgalla9146
I have a pair of Sheel/Mann seats.
AFAIK the rails are standard 914 parts.
One of my seats slides easily. The other does not.
I believe care must be taken that the rails are both parallel and on the same plane.
I'll know better in a few days.
wes
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 27 2019, 04:37 PM) *

You can use stock rails, HOWEVER you may have to redrill the holes in the seat bases. MOST importantly make SURE you have 914 seats. The 911 ones look real close but the angle is WRONG.

I’ve had them for several years I was thinking the 911 ones were wider (I thought 21”) and had a deferent head rest. Mine in the back of the headrest are similar shape to stock 914. I need to get them home and check the angle on the back.
GeorgeRud
The Scheel 114 was a perfect fit in the 914 and just used the stock seat rails. Others may need modification to see if they’d fit.
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 28 2019, 10:26 AM) *

The Scheel 114 was a perfect fit in the 914 and just used the stock seat rails. Others may need modification to see if they’d fit.

agree.gif scheel brochure from the day said the 114 was built to fit a 914. The other scheel seats like a 300 fit a 911. But from what little I know of scheel seats, the real 914-6GT seat was a 911 seat. Glenn/GMS & company probably have a lot more info.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 28 2019, 08:37 AM) *

agree.gif scheel brochure from the day said the 114 was built to fit a 914. The other scheel seats like a 300 fit a 911. But from what little I know of scheel seats, the real 914-6GT seat was a 911 seat. Glenn/GMS & company probably have a lot more info.

Yes, Glenn knows these seats. You will need to adjust the rails for the scheel seat you got from me. Had to use a crowbar to get it out of my car, that's how the rear puncture in the vinyl happened. Check with Glenn. BTW that seat used to be George's then it was Brad Mayeur's and I bought it from Garold, Lol!
mepstein
I also picked up Jonathan’s Scheel 300. If it doesn’t fit right in my 914, i’ll save it for my ‘66 build.
falcor75
Ooooh this is very interesting. I'm looking at getting a pair of Sheel replica seats and I'd love to see how it works with the stock 3-point belt, especially the part going over the waist. Any chance that someone can take a seat of themselves in the seat with the belt fastened?
wes
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 28 2019, 09:13 AM) *

Yes, Glenn knows these seats. You will need to adjust the rails for the scheel seat you got from me. Had to use a crowbar to get it out of my car, that's how the rear puncture in the vinyl happened. Check with Glenn. BTW that seat used to be George's then it was Brad Mayeur's and I bought it from Garold, Lol!

Wow amazing they have been around! So are the ones I bought from you the 300 series as mentioned used in the GT 6? Wondering did you adjust the rails and still have a fit problem or?
mepstein
QUOTE(wes @ Jan 28 2019, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 28 2019, 09:13 AM) *

Wow amazing they have been around! So are the ones I bought from you the 300 series as mentioned used in the GT 6? Wondering did you adjust the rails and still have a fit problem or?

Wes, Glenn/GMS told me the 6GT seat is very similar to a 300 but no provision for a headrest.
wes
WOW Mike they’ve been around! How did they fit in your car and why’d you pull them out? If it’s true the 300 series had no headrest mine aren’t 300 series as they have headrest. The headrests appear to be shaped on the back for the backpad/window shape. Just brought them home but no time right now play with the fit but anxious too be installing them.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
wes
The headrest!Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Only had a drivers side seat it was in my 6 and went back to stock when I sold the car last fall.
Larmo63
I found that installing my Scheels was pretty straightforward after I figured out I had to shim the four (small) bolts on each slider with washers. They want to hang up on the vinyl under there if you don't and they get stuck in the car.

Ask me how I know.
wes
Did a dry fitting and all is good perfect fit on rails and the back slant ideal to the backpad. Thanks all!
Maltese Falcon
Never had any issues installing my 114's on to the stock rails. Just did a test fit with the seat rail bolts secured firm-in-place / not tight, guide rails clean and lubed (white lith or vaseline), then slide the seat in place. Once the fit is happy, slowly slip off of the rails out of the car and tighten the bolts. Mine went right back in like EZ job
falcor75
Click to view attachment

These are the ones I'm looking at but with a headrest. Was just worried about the belts but since everyone seem to agree they fit ok I might go ahead with an order. smile.gif
mepstein
Scheel 114 fit a 914. Scheel 300 fit a 911. 114’s & 300’s have a headrest. Real GT’s don’t have a headrest.
TravisNeff
which ones are those Mats? I like the little extra lumbar on this one.
maf914
hijacked.gif Slight hijack for related issue.

I notice how photos of used Scheel seats often show the fabric loose and baggy on the cushions. This even on seats that don't appear to be very worn. I have a pair of Konig seats that appear to be Scheel clones, visually identical with what appears to be the same ribbed velour-type fabric, with very little wear, and the fabric has separated from the cushions and is now loose. The fabric itself looks great with no visible wear, just loose, as if the adhesive let go and the fabric stretched.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and what can be done about it? I guess I need to take them to an upholsterer. idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jan 29 2019, 08:56 AM) *

hijacked.gif Slight hijack for related issue.

I notice how photos of used Scheel seats often show the fabric loose and baggy on the cushions. This even on seats that don't appear to be very worn. I have a pair of Konig seats that appear to be Scheel clones, visually identical with what appears to be the same ribbed velour-type fabric, with very little wear, and the fabric has separated from the cushions and is now loose. The fabric itself looks great with no visible wear, just loose, as if the adhesive let go and the fabric stretched.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and what can be done about it? I guess I need to take them to an upholsterer. idea.gif

I've noticed the same. They weren't stitched or pleated (if that's the correct term) like the 914 upholstery and the fabric is very light and doesn't have a backing, at least on my seats.
wes
Funny I’ve always wondered about the material on the seats also, I’ve never seen but one that wasn’t all lose or stretched looking. That one not stretched looking was in Andy’s yellow GT 6 build and it seems the material might have been a bit thicker but my memory could be wrong.
mepstein
When I recover mine, it probably won't be with original material - OMG biggrin.gif
wes
I sort of hate to say it but I’m putting mine in to decide how well I like them. Later possibly recovering using the Pepita design for the seat and back. This photo is of the seats I’m replacing and that’s the look I like although houndstooth. I also feel the seat should be kept as original, mixed emotions!Click to view attachment
falcor75
The ones I showed are the italian D'eser brand seats, http://www.deser.it/

Click to view attachment

I've been in conversation with them and asked about fitment in a 914 and they sent me the above picture. Doesnt show the belt situation tho as those four points doesnt seem to have anywhere to connect too down at the hips.
larryM
QUOTE(wes @ Jan 27 2019, 03:48 PM) *

I have a set of Scheel seat that I’m contemplating on installing. I’m wondering as I’ve heard the rails are very hard to find.

long time ago Armando posted pics of a "special" rail - most likely the source of the myth they were unobtanium
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_atsh...14_scheel_seats

imho those were not "normal" = more likely made to accommodate a certain race driver's needs since he took his cues from just one car he observed & studied

yes - stock 914 rails work just fine - my car was fitted with a 114 seat at Werk-1 in 1971 and it works just fine on the "stock" 914 rails
cheer.gif

and yes, they tend to look a bit "rumpled" - they were competition seats circa 1969-72, long before we got obsessed with museum quality perfection "looks"
dry.gif

Larmo63
Rumpled is fine with me for now.

Click to view attachment
wes
Mine are lightly rumpled, only raced lightly I guess! But that’s okay getting older and sometimes feel like I’ve been driven hard And becoming quite rumpled myself as well.
falcor75
Larmo, no issues with the stock seat belts I guess?
rgalla9146
Mine are baggy.
I'd be happy to use a similar material to the original but don't know yet what's available.
Houndstooth ? ........ it's everywhere now.
Anyone have a source for original looking Scheel material ?
Or correct Pepita ?
rgalla9146
DP oldtimers disease
GeorgeRud
Before I outgrew my Scheel 114 (and passed it to Brad, Garold, and Mike), I used the stock three point harness with no issues.
wes
Oh sorry CORRECTION bought mine from Mike Fitton!
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 2 2019, 03:46 PM) *

Before I outgrew my Scheel 114 (and passed it to Brad, Garold, and Mike), I used the stock three point harness with no issues.

George - I have it now. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 2 2019, 12:33 AM) *

Larmo, no issues with the stock seat belts I guess?

Oh Laaaaaarmo.....

How are those seats working out for you?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 2 2019, 07:20 AM) *

Mine are baggy.
I'd be happy to use a similar material to the original but don't know yet what's available.
Houndstooth ? ........ it's everywhere now.
Anyone have a source for original looking Scheel material ?
Or correct Pepita ?

Hot setup might be the "corduroy" from the seat centers in the current 911 GT3 Touring. Really (!) nice and probably a lot more durable. If it's anything like the current Houndstooth, which is very cool also, there will be two different thicknesses for the seat cushion and the seat back. No, really.... shades.gif
Larmo63
I love my seats, and they keep you from gaining weight. If I get too fat, I can't drive the car.

I'm probably going to re-do them in black cord, original style.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 27 2019, 08:51 PM) *

I have a pair of Sheel/Mann seats.
AFAIK the rails are standard 914 parts.
One of my seats slides easily. The other does not.
I believe care must be taken that the rails are both parallel and on the same plane.
I'll know better in a few days.

Update on Scheel corduroy inserts.
I've had these Scheel Mann seats for many years.
I was very disappointed with their appearance when it came time to install them.
I took them to a upholstery shop my wife had used for a pair of chairs.
They said the original material was very sturdy and could be re-stretched nicely.
I'm very happy with the results.
Check the 'before' shots in post # 4
Now for the Scheel/Mann logo emblems.
maf914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 21 2019, 04:43 AM) *

I was very disappointed with their appearance when it came time to install them.
They said the original material was very sturdy and could be re-stretched nicely.

rgalla9146,

Could you describe what the upholstery shop did to your seats? What did they mean by "re-stretched"? Did they remove the center bottom and back cushions and re-glue the existing fabric?

Per my earlier post, I have the same baggy fabric problem with a pair of Konig seats. Thanks.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 21 2019, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 21 2019, 04:43 AM) *

rgalla9146,

Could you describe what the upholstery shop did to your seats? What did they mean by "re-stretched"? Did they remove the center bottom and back cushions and re-glue the existing fabric?

Per my earlier post, I have the same baggy fabric problem with a pair of Konig seats. Thanks.

They described it as removing the center cushions and their covers. Then added a layer of thin (1/8"or 1/4" ?) foam, re-installed the cover material then re-installed them in the seat.
My centers had no terrible wear or rips.

mepstein
A good upholstery guy can work miracles. I wish I could find a good local one. My local guys are all just average.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.