Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sub Woofer Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2020, 08:12 AM) *

the best place is to put a sub woofer is where the foam floor board block exists on the passenger side. Totally hidden, takes up no space, sounds GREAT and does not chop up the car. Here is a picture if anyone wants to make one: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Spe...N-BAA31934.html

It is very easy to make, basically the pattern of the block with a leg to support it. We have made hundreds over the years and the sound is great, and TOTALLY hidden

This isn't an ideal solution. A subwoofer will perform far better in a sealed and ported enclosure. But it might be better than nothing.…

QUOTE(messix @ Jan 23 2020, 11:16 PM) *

check this thread out.

my sub box that is now sold by 914rubbers is in post 15 and 16/

it's a good tight bass with good volume.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=subwoofer

^ THIS is the way to go, or at least the way I'd like to go. The first one shows how the box should be done, while the second and third are more appealing to those of us who want a truly stealth setup. How to the ones where you can't see the subwoofer sound?

And you say they're available from 914Rubber? idea.gif
drem914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2020, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2020, 08:12 AM) *

the best place is to put a sub woofer is where the foam floor board block exists on the passenger side. Totally hidden, takes up no space, sounds GREAT and does not chop up the car. Here is a picture if anyone wants to make one: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Spe...N-BAA31934.html

It is very easy to make, basically the pattern of the block with a leg to support it. We have made hundreds over the years and the sound is great, and TOTALLY hidden

This isn't an ideal solution. A subwoofer will perform far better in a sealed and ported enclosure. But it might be better than nothing.…

QUOTE(messix @ Jan 23 2020, 11:16 PM) *

check this thread out.

my sub box that is now sold by 914rubbers is in post 15 and 16/

it's a good tight bass with good volume.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=subwoofer

^ THIS is the way to go, or at least the way I'd like to go. The first one shows how the box should be done, while the second and third are more appealing to those of us who want a truly stealth setup. How to the ones where you can't see the subwoofer sound?

And you say they're available from 914Rubber? idea.gif

what do you do to protect the sealed box speaker (lower left) from feet?
914forme
@horrizontally-opposed Pete, I have picked a JL Audio sub to try in that area. My plan is to take lay some foil wrap into the area, and then work my way out with fiberglass, build a sealed enclosure, and it will be protected with one of the perforated Aluminum plate foot boards. I will be painting or anodizing it black, and adding traction tape over it, leaving the holes exposed. Most likely add a sound Matt of the back side to reduce the opportunity for the AL plate to vibrate. That would annoy the stromberg.gif out of me.

The JL sub I picked at @BBRock suggestion requires ~0.35 cu.ft. for a sealed box. Ported would be a bit larger. I will most likely do a sealed, as ports tend to enhance certain frequencies, and since I don't just play one key of music, I do not need to tune the system.

Tuned ports would be handy for Gregorian chant.
Mikey914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 24 2020, 07:34 AM) *

@messix - I think that's the way to go but I can't find it on 914Rubber's site. @Mikey914 ?

We are actually retooling on these right now. I'd be happy to post up a GB but these are 4-5 weeks from being ready. I could do the
Shell only at $66 if I could get 10 takers. I may even be able to get it lower but depends on how many are interested.

I'll post up a GB shortly.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 02:22 PM) *

We are actually retooling on these right now. I'd be happy to post up a GB but these are 4-5 weeks from being ready. I could do the
Shell only at $66 if I could get 10 takers. I may even be able to get it lower but depends on how many are interested.

Any old style center consoles with a sub? If so, can I get one in cinnamon carpeting? Also, has to have room for my gauges. Asking a lot, I know biggrin.gif

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 11:22 AM) *

Nice!!

Count me in—particularly if 1) factory looks are retained, 2) there is no or very little cost in passenger legroom (as there was with my last homemade setup), and 3) the shell comes set up to take an 8-inch speaker that can be carpeted over to be invisible.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 24 2020, 10:24 AM) *

@horrizontally-opposed Pete, I have picked a JL Audio sub to try in that area. My plan is to take lay some foil wrap into the area, and then work my way out with fiberglass, build a sealed enclosure, and it will be protected with one of the perforated Aluminum plate foot boards. I will be painting or anodizing it black, and adding traction tape over it, leaving the holes exposed. Most likely add a sound Matt of the back side to reduce the opportunity for the AL plate to vibrate. That would annoy the stromberg.gif out of me.

The JL sub I picked at @BBRock suggestion requires ~0.35 cu.ft. for a sealed box. Ported would be a bit larger. I will most likely do a sealed, as ports tend to enhance certain frequencies, and since I don't just play one key of music, I do not need to tune the system.

Sounds like a slick setup. I am planning to use a JL 5-channel amp to power a JL 3-speaker component system for the stock speaker pods and doors, with the possibility of rear "fill" tweeters in the targa bar and the fifth channel for a sub. Was "arming" my old Pioneer amp via a factory 914 defroster switch on the dash (found an old one at EASY), which lit up when you pulled it out to tell you the audio system was on, and then using AUX in to plumb by iPhone in with RCA cables. Worked really nicely, but may go to Bluetooth for the next iteration of this setup. Just need a place to put that sub. Have looked at some of the slim-line subs out there, but so many of them are powered. Would love to see what you come up with.

And good point on the port tube. I may reference the size of the port tube in an old JBL bass tube I think I still have, and just go with that. Any bass setup is gonna improve on no bass setup, and I suspect JBL did some homework on the size of that tube vs the 8-inch subwoofer.

My goal is to have "invisible" audio that actually sounds good, with the only clue that there's a system being 6.5s as the front of the doors. With 914Rubber's ABS plastic door card blanks, I've started to wonder if the 6.5s could be mounted behind the door cards with "perforated" basketweave vinyl over them...much like the early 928 speakers (see below). On black, you might not even notice the holes in the basketweave. Thoughts? Good idea? Terrible idea? unsure.gif

Mikey914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 24 2020, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 02:22 PM) *

Any old style center consoles with a sub? If so, can I get one in cinnamon carpeting? Also, has to have room for my gauges. Asking a lot, I know biggrin.gif

Not in stock, but if I have the correct material I'd be happy to make something up.

The proble. Is the early is more of a catch tray, without much behind it.

If your interested PM me your address so I can send a sample assuring the material is correct.
Thx
Mark
burton73
Posted on my 6 build.

From Eric @PMB:

Testing fitment. Your custom German square weave would cover all of this. Mounting plate would be made to limit intrusion on the body. So far is shy of where the factory foam pieces would go so... all good.

This is the sub that we are using with a Bluetooth control so I can use my phone for a sound library. Fit should look just like a 72 interior as far as the footrest goes. This should sound good

Bob B

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7620&st=200

Click to view attachment

Hi Johnny,

Dale my interior man is building a new 1970 style center console and PMB decided that this was the best set up.

Bob BClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
What Pete said.
bbrock
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 24 2020, 11:24 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif Looking forward to learning how this turns out. My Infinity Kappas arrived this week so I'll be making adapter plates to fit the stock grills. I'm almost for sure going to use that same sub. I downloaded the manual and saw they have detailed specs for sealed and ported boxes (including tubes). Planned to do some measuring maybe this weekend. I was afraid the bass from a ported box might be a bit too much. I'm not looking to pimp my ride. But now that you mention Gregorian chant, I'm thinking how ported would sound with my Australian Aborigine didge music... idea.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 12:22 PM) *

@messix - I think that's the way to go but I can't find it on 914Rubber's site. @Mikey914 ?

@Mikey914 was this GB ever posted? I'd be interested in a shell.
Mikey914
We are in the process of changing up some tooling, so I had not, but yes we will.

Give me a few days and I can get posted up.
Mark
tvdinnerbythepool
@mikey914 count me in!
Chris914n6
8" ?
what's the internal volume?

Looks about right for a small box sealed 8" I have, and I hate working with fiberglass beerchug.gif

IPB Image
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 10 2020, 11:26 AM) *

IPB Image

^ This setup, but with an 8-inch (or smaller) sub without the periscope and the same size as the foam pad would be a fabulous add to the 914. If you do this Mark, count me in...
Chris914n6
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 10 2020, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 10 2020, 11:26 AM) *

IPB Image

^ This setup, but with an 8-inch (or smaller) sub without the periscope and the same size as the foam pad would be a fabulous add to the 914. If you do this Mark, count me in...

Actually that has been on the market, but the box is thicker by 1-2" because the 8" sub is deeper than the foam block. Plus the air space needed so the speaker actually works right.

I like the 'periscope' design as a good compromise as it keeps the foot space as is.

A 6.5" in a ported box might be a good compromise for the given space.
horizontally-opposed
Another idea...shallow-mount Pioneer sub designed to operate in free air, for $72, at 7 inches in diameter by 2.63 inches deep.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW2002D2-...DXFFCC5Y4861TVM

Curious to hear others' thoughts on this...or whether 914rubber's setup might even enhance this? The idea of a sub in place of the footrest foam—without losing any legroom—remains highly appealing.
horizontally-opposed
Also interesting, at $92…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167KQX9S/ref=ps...1_t2_B00VT9ZZD8

914forme
the 12" version of the infinity gets really good reviews, for performance, very interesting design.
Mikey914
Yes we will be providing just the vented unit, you can install your choice of sub. It will be interesting to see how they all compare.
911GT2
Maybe it's a bit against the purpose of this thread but years ago in my smart-car I used the predecessor of what is now the Pioneer TS-WX210A.

It's an active subwoofer which sounds more than adequate, especially in such a small space. And it's easy to hide I guess.
ConeDodger
Here’s my sub. Fiberglass box replaces foam block in passenger footwell. 8” sub with an amp and I get pretty good sound.
maf914
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 17 2020, 05:05 AM) *

Maybe it's a bit against the purpose of this thread but years ago in my smart-car I used the predecessor of what is now the Pioneer TS-WX210A.

It's an active subwoofer which sounds more than adequate, especially in such a small space. And it's easy to hide I guess.

It appears Pioneer has a similar sub currently, TS-WX130DA.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-WX130DA-C...mp;sr=8-1-fkmr0

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car...ofer/TS-WX130DA

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 17 2020, 07:48 AM) *

Here’s my sub. Fiberglass box replaces foam block in passenger footwell. 8” sub with an amp and I get pretty good sound.

Nice install, Rob!

Any detriment to passenger legroom? I had a similar setup, but I could have and should have done better on legroom...
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 10 2020, 12:42 AM) *

We are in the process of changing up some tooling, so I had not, but yes we will.

Give me a few days and I can get posted up.
Mark

Any news on this? popcorn[1].gif Baby needs her bass... biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 13 2020, 01:15 PM) *

Any news on this? popcorn[1].gif Baby needs her bass... biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif

Me, too. I just got back from running an errand with my 914. Beautiful day, open road, top off, car driving beautifully, and Rainbow's "Since You Been Gone" blaring on my play list. At least I think it was. The sound was so tinny I couldn't be sure blink.gif hissyfit.gif
bbrock
Thought I would report that the JL Audio sub mentioned earlier in this thread does NOT fit as a stealth installation. The magnet is just about 1/4" too large in diameter to fit into the footwell foam space. If you are willing to give up about an inch of footwell space, it would work, but I'm not. I'm sending mine back and will get one of these instead:

IPB Image
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD28/Roc...8.html?tp=68847

The JL sounded really nice though. Even just using a cardboard box for an enclosure, it paired very nicely with my Infinity speakers.

@Mikey914 Any progress on those enclosures? Will there be a sealed enclosure option? I'm guessing the port could be sealed up easy enough, but curious.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 18 2020, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 17 2020, 07:48 AM) *

Nice install, Rob!

Any detriment to passenger legroom? I had a similar setup, but I could have and should have done better on legroom...

Well, they have to keep their feet off the speaker grill but it is just the foam block replaced with a fiberglass sub enclosure.
IronHillRestorations
I don't know why one would have to go to such a large driver to get decent bass response. I did a budget stereo install on my '91 Targa for $600 that included a Kenwood powered sub, an Alpine front end and small amp with Rockford-Fosgate speakers. I know Infinity and JL are far superior components, but I've got two in college. The powered sub is good enough for me. It's not competition level bass, but I don't need that anymore (I save the hearing damage for jams).

The point is that I don't think you've got to go with a large sub to get decent bass.

As a side note; what happened to EQ's?
I loved being able to adjust the the EQ when I took the roof off my 914. I had an Alphasonik 7 band that fit the center console and worked great. Most front ends now have some EQ, but what can you do with a 3 band parametric??
Mikey914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 26 2020, 09:49 PM) *

Thought I would report that the JL Audio sub mentioned earlier in this thread does NOT fit as a stealth installation. The magnet is just about 1/4" too large in diameter to fit into the footwell foam space. If you are willing to give up about an inch of footwell space, it would work, but I'm not. I'm sending mine back and will get one of these instead:

IPB Image
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD28/Roc...8.html?tp=68847

The JL sounded really nice though. Even just using a cardboard box for an enclosure, it paired very nicely with my Infinity speakers.

@Mikey914 Any progress on those enclosures? Will there be a sealed enclosure option? I'm guessing the port could be sealed up easy enough, but curious.

Actually,
Been a bit busy at the day job working as many hours as they will let me. These are still on the list, but just on hold for a bit.
mark
FlacaProductions
Keep in mind that i'm away from my 914 so trying to work this out in my head - do I have access to the foam if I simply pull the carpet from the front wall of the passenger footwell - and then the foam simply lifts out?
bbrock
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2020, 09:14 AM) *

Keep in mind that i'm away from my 914 so trying to work this out in my head - do I have access to the foam if I simply pull the carpet from the front wall of the passenger footwell - and then the foam simply lifts out?

Yep. The front wall carpet gets pinned behind the center console (if you have one) and right speaker pod so you may have to remove the pod or do a little tugging to get enough slack from behind the console to free the foam, but it isn't a difficult operation at all.
FlacaProductions
Great - following this closely and appreciate your input and blazing the trail. I'm looking to do the totally stealth version and I think all I need is a template to cut the board that replaces the foam.
bbrock
I haven't found a powered sub that will fit for a truly stealth installation or I probably would go that route. Clearance under the seats is too low and the foot well space is a funky shape. You might be able to get close though. I looked at 6" subs but wasn't too impressed. Even in high school and college, I never liked loud thumping bass that muddied and overwhelmed the music. I just want something that delivers crisp punch at moderate volumes to round out the bottom end. Anything over 8 inches won't fit into the space occupied by the foam and even then, motor depth becomes an issue. I also want to recess the mounting ring enough that I can install a strong expanded metal grill flush to the surface so I don't have to worry about feet destroying the sub.
bbrock
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2020, 09:48 AM) *

Great - following this closely and appreciate your input and blazing the trail. I'm looking to do the totally stealth version and I think all I need is a template to cut the board that replaces the foam.

Do you plan to seal the resulting enclosure? It is easy enough to cut a board that fits like the foam to mount a sub and I think George even sells them. The problem is figuring out how to seal the space to create a proper sub enclosure. Otherwise the sub is just running in free air space. That Pioneer posted earlier might work in that case. After thinking through all the options, I decided Mark's enclosure is by far the best. He just needs to get his priorities straight and focus on our trivial entertainment desires rather than putting bread on the table. lol-2.gif
FlacaProductions
I think free air if at all possible...and I wish George would just sell that board but I don't see it offered solo on the site - but I seem to always have trouble on that site.

I'd really be interested in a turn-key, stealth solution but not to the extent George offers - I don't need/want the woofer or amp - just the mounting solution...
Porschef
I had made an enclosure for a passenger footwell sub but then ended up simply strapping a Bazooka under the dash on the passenger side. Simple install, driven by a dedicated R/F amp.

Works pretty well.
bbrock
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2020, 02:54 PM) *

I think free air if at all possible...and I wish George would just sell that board but I don't see it offered solo on the site - but I seem to always have trouble on that site.

I'd really be interested in a turn-key, stealth solution but not to the extent George offers - I don't need/want the woofer or amp - just the mounting solution...

For what its worth, I cut a board matching the foam profile last night from MDF as a temporary mount and test the fit. It only took about 30-45 minutes to mark up and cut out. If free air works for you, it's a piece of cake. Hard part is getting that sucker mounted so it has clearance. My second sub is already on its way so we'll see how that goes.
bbrock
Posted this on my build thread a month ago but figured I'd update here. I think the Rockford-Fosgate sub will work in the foot well location. I just have it mounted on a cheezie temporary board for not until I can get that awesome enclosure Mark is working on poke.gif

IPB Image

With the enclosure, I'll rig a flush mount with a sturdy grill to keep feet from poking through. I might have to sacrifice about 1/2" of foot space to make it completely flush but won't know for sure until I have the box. Even with the cobbled setup, it is pretty stealth.

IPB Image

Sound-wise, I liked the JL Audio sub better but this is pretty nice after it got broken in a little. It's a bit wimpy running free-air on that board though so I'm really looking forward to having an enclosure so I can button this up.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 5 2020, 11:35 AM) *

Posted this on my build thread a month ago but figured I'd update here. I think the Rockford-Fosgate sub will work in the foot well location. I just have it mounted on a cheezie temporary board for not until I can get that awesome enclosure Mark is working on poke.gif

IPB Image

With the enclosure, I'll rig a flush mount with a sturdy grill to keep feet from poking through. I might have to sacrifice about 1/2" of foot space to make it completely flush but won't know for sure until I have the box. Even with the cobbled setup, it is pretty stealth.

IPB Image

Sound-wise, I liked the JL Audio sub better but this is pretty nice after it got broken in a little. It's a bit wimpy running free-air on that board though so I'm really looking forward to having an enclosure so I can button this up.

Nice work, and thanks for posting.

How much legroom lost? I had a similar setup, but it was covering a Pioneer bass wedge and it lost a couple of inches of leg room...which was too much.
bbrock
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 5 2020, 01:19 PM) *

Nice work, and thanks for posting.

How much legroom lost? I had a similar setup, but it was covering a Pioneer bass wedge and it lost a couple of inches of leg room...which was too much.

I'm hoping for zero legroom lost but will have to wait for the sub enclosure that replaces the foot well foam to see. Right now the board the sub is mounted on is in the same location as the front of the foam block. As you can see, the sub is surface mounted right now but I think I'll be able to mount it flush for a zero loss installation. As you know, that is an awkward space and there is a small cavity to tuck the magnet into even on a shallow mount sub. I know enough at this point that this install will lose a max of 3/4" leg room but probably less.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 01:22 PM) *

icon_bump.gif @Mikey914

Any update on this one? I know you have a lot of irons in the fire. Hoping this one is still warm beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Yes we have a prototype we've made and we are completing tooling. Plan for an announcement in about 14 days.
Mark
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 31 2020, 11:32 PM) *

Yes we have a prototype we've made and we are completing tooling. Plan for an announcement in about 14 days.
Mark

piratenanner.gif Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
have been making this for years, by far the best way to mount a bass speaker that does not affect the stock appearance or take up any room. Easy to make, and since the bass does not need to be exposed, an be covered
FlacaProductions
That's great George, but from what I can find, it's only available on your site as a kit with amp, etc. I don't need all that - just the blank board.....
mbseto
You could probably design that to double as a foot rest, put the speaker on the side?
FlacaProductions
Stock appearance/stealth is my goal
horizontally-opposed
The board is easy enough to make. I made one by tracing the factory foam pad and then transferring it to a piece of plywood.

But what I learned was, at least for me, any real loss in legroom results in a significantly less enjoyable car to be in for the passenger. What I thought was acceptable was a lot less so while riding in my car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.