Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beginning my long delayed restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beeliner
I got my first 914 in 1971 on my way out of college. I had three then I became a father and went dormant.

This 1973 914 I bought on Ebay... I bid so low I knew I would never win it...

I had a so-so job done on my fifth one, and am selling it now. (1975 and running) I drove it today and it started right up at 20 degrees outside.

This one I am keeping, and will have the engine rebuilt to start. I think it looks pretty solid down below, especially for an east coast car. I'll post pics as we go along.

PS, I know next to nothing about mechanics/engineering. I do know it has two carbs.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=683
852] Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
krazykonrad
welcome.png

We'll (meaning other people who know what they're doing) will get you through this.

Konrad
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jan 28 2019, 08:58 PM) *

I got my first 914 in 1971 on my way out of college. I had three then I became a father and went dormant.

This 1973 914 I bought on Ebay... I bid so low I knew I would never win it...

I had a so-so job done on my fifth one, and am selling it now. (1975 and running) I drove it today and it started right up at 20 degrees outside.

This one I am keeping, and will have the engine rebuilt to start. I think it looks pretty solid down below, especially for an east coast car. I'll post pics as we go along.

PS, I know next to nothing about mechanics/engineering. I do know it has two carbs.

Amazing for a CT car, usually NE cars have the lower 1-2 inches of the body full of holes with the Hell Hole GONE.

Great looking car - not a fan of the wheels, but love your car!

CTC911CTC
Beeliner
Uh oh, I have some cracks... I wonder how bad....
With the 2.0 and new rods, other goodies maybe too much strain?

But I am happy with the engine area... Hell Hole, what Hell Hole?? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
iankarr
Welcome back! Nice car. Looks solid!

Tough to tell from the pics, but those cracks look like they could just be normal surface cracks from casting. Are you doing the engine work yourself? Def a good idea to have the case checked and decked/align-bored if it needs it.

Some incredibly knowledgeable engine builders in this community and Im sure they'll chime in...you're in good hands!

PS I'm not far from you and there are some great 914 owners in the area. happy to introduce you when you're back on the road...
jrblackbox
Are you doing the rebuild on the engine?
Superhawk996
welcome.png

Buy service manual . . . . dig in. Seek advice here as needed. You'll find plenty of encouragement and assistance.

Beeliner
Progress by Elio .....
I'll list all the goodies he added, but this is how things looked this afternoon...

The car itself is over at the body shop... Very little rust...

I saw the Flanders, NJ event. I will be there....

Yes, I am promoting Elio here... I get a big discount... lol-2.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.