Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Hi all,
i need a set of strut inserts that fit both a 914 front strut and a 911 front strut. im thinking Bilsteins or konis. does such a strut insert exist? someone told me to call jason at paragon products. Is there a 914 club discount confused24.gif ???? also- the reason why i ask is so i can just carry over the strut inserts over from the /4 struts to the 911 suspension i am going to install in the winter- why buy parts twice right? mueba.gif

would PET hold the key to my mystery? confused24.gif
please respond ASAP
seanery
there is a washer or spacer that allows you to use the 914 insert in the 911. I think I got that right.
Paragon sells this whole deal and looked like the best price around. Go Koni yellow.
Aaron Cox
i just got off the phone w/ some guy- (jason was on other line) guy looked it up and said there was no compatability- seanery- can you find this product on their page? ive been looking cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
are the ball joints interchangeable also?
Aaron Cox
looks as though ball joints are interchangeable-
seanery
This is from Paragon Products "Dr. Koni Tech Session" webpage

-----------------------------------------------

Question: I bought a set of 911 struts to go on my 914, what insert should I use?

Answer: Dimensionally, the 911 and the 914 insert are the same. The difference is in the valving. Many shock companies use the insert for both the 911 and 914 (read lower cost to them) but Koni has designed different valving for each application. So if you're installing 911 struts on your 914, you'll still want to use the 914 Koni insert. If you're installing the 914 insert into a 911 Carrera strut, please ask us to include a special centering washer that these later struts utilized.
seanery
More good info on this page : Dr. Koni
bhfast
I just went throught this you can use the 914 shock in the 911 strut, but there is a centering washer. Paragon does sell them, it's where I got mine. Talk to jason he'll be able to help you. The washer are like $10 for the pair. I have a carrera strut which has a female threaded strut top nut(hold the shock in) The 914 struts are male threaded, therefore the shocks will come with those. I believe the SC struts are the same thread as the 914. I'm running 914 koni yellow's in boge carrera struts with the centering washer. hope that made sense. The ball joints are all the same.
Brian
Brad Roberts
All correct.

It depends on the year of the struts he is using. The early Boge struts (911/914) are a direct bolt in for the 4cyl shock.

Only the later Carrera and SC struts 78-89 require the spacer.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 14 2003, 04:08 PM)
This is from Paragon Products "Dr. Koni Tech Session" webpage

-----------------------------------------------

Question: I bought a set of 911 struts to go on my 914, what insert should I use?

Answer: Dimensionally, the 911 and the 914 insert are the same. The difference is in the valving. Many shock companies use the insert for both the 911 and 914 (read lower cost to them) but Koni has designed different valving for each application. So if you're installing 911 struts on your 914, you'll still want to use the 914 Koni insert. If you're installing the 914 insert into a 911 Carrera strut, please ask us to include a special centering washer that these later struts utilized.

so that means, the 911 suspension unit i need to buy has to be out of a carrera? or 1974 on? what differences are there between a 911 vs a carrera strut?

thanks for answering most of my questions- i know im a PITA
seanery
Just get any of the SC (78-83) and later struts and you'll be fine. If it's a Carrera strut (84-89) then call Jason and get the spacer washers!.

911S will work, too, but I'm not sure what years. You want the wide caliper spacing on the strut.
Aaron Cox
i want an early 911 suspension so i can utilize the thru-the-body swaybar. so they wont fit a noncarrera strut?
seanery
gotta ask someone other than me on that one.

Lemme think a minute....not totally sure, but should be ok.
I have 911S struts on my '74 with the rest 914 parts, except for the Turbo Tie Rods.
Aaron Cox
ok- i think i got it all sorted out-

is there some sort of 914world.com discount? cool_shades.gif im poor
scotty
Dimensionally, the 911 and the 914 insert are the same

headbang.gif ARGH! headbang.gif
Stupid freakin' koni struts... yellow sport 914 strut inserts don't go into those (the top and bottom of the insert have the same diameters, but ARGH the yellows widen out about 2 inches too early for red koni strut). headbang.gif

The dang struts (they were used) are bent anyway (wish I'd met Brad before I bought them: he showed me how to tell if struts were straight).

Soooooo.... who has the best price on struts with 3.5" brake bolt spacing? I figure I'll have to go new to avoid "bent" problems....
campbellcj
QUOTE(scotty @ Jul 16 2003, 03:30 PM)
Dimensionally, the 911 and the 914 insert are the same

headbang.gif ARGH! headbang.gif
Stupid freakin' koni struts... yellow sport 914 strut inserts don't go into those (the top and bottom of the insert have the same diameters, but ARGH the yellows widen out about 2 inches too early for red koni strut). headbang.gif

The dang struts (they were used) are bent anyway (wish I'd met Brad before I bought them: he showed me how to tell if struts were straight).

Soooooo.... who has the best price on struts with 3.5" brake bolt spacing? I figure I'll have to go new to avoid "bent" problems....

One of the Bilstein struts on the 78/79 front end I bought was bent too; because I was in a hurry and was replacing the inserts (and just about every other imaginable part) anway, I sprung for a new strut housing. Out of the whole 911 front end we only used the 1 strut and the brake calipers.

It's obviously pretty common for there to be damage on parted-out cars, so you've gotta really watch out (hindsight is 20/20, as they say)...after all the car was usually junked in the first place for a reason...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.