Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory electric fuel pumps, anyone? if so,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Mallory makes an electric pump for both carbs and fuel injection all models have a 3/8 NPT inlet/outlet.

For fuel injection, they recommend a filter before the pump and a filter before the injectors.

What I am not too sure about is how to plumb it all, from what I can find, it looks like it'll have to be all -6 AN fittings.

Now to figure out what brand fittings and hose wacko.gif

user posted image
E-Man
I have dual 44IDFs currently and a Mallory pump like that one.
The set-up on the car is:
Gas tank
|
line
|
filter
|
line
|
90 deg. fitting
|
pump
|
90 deg. fitting
|
line thru center tunnel
|
90 deg. fitting
|
regulator(1-in, 2-out)
|
filters
|
carbs

The pump is mounted in the front trunk in the later FI pump location. AN-8 fittings and SS hose were used. While I was at it, I also ran a return line for future FI and capped it.
Pictures to follow.
-Mike
Mueller
thanks Mike.....

how did you do the hose from the tank to the filter?

AN fittings or slip/clamp fit?

I cannot seem to find a 3/8 npt fitting that has a barbed fitting for the hose
SteveSr
Mike, you might try here,http://www.pegasusautoracing.com
they have tons of fuel line fittings.......................

Steve
E-Man
Hose clamp works fine there, even with FI since the pressure is provided later on via the pump.
I think I used Jegs or Summit for the SS hose and AN fittings. -Mike
machina
I used the 3/8 =>-6 fittings to save space.

the mallory pumps are really nice. I have carbs and the low pressure pump only draws 2.5 amps compared to 5 amps for the typical holley. also, the mallory has a fine billet pump housing where the holley was cheap pot metal that cracked and leaked.
maf914
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Jun 21 2005, 09:08 AM)
the mallory pumps are really nice. I have carbs and the low pressure pump only draws 2.5 amps compared to 5 amps for the typical holley. also, the mallory has a fine billet pump housing where the holley was cheap pot metal that cracked and leaked.

David, Does the mallory pump make much noise? Some electric pumps can be irritatingly loud for street use, (i.e. Facet). idea.gif
MikeP
If you can hear ANY fuel pump you aren't running a big enough engine!
maf914
QUOTE (MikeP @ Jun 21 2005, 09:40 AM)
If you can hear ANY fuel pump you aren't running a big enough engine!

laugh.gif That's good! laugh.gif
redshift
Which reminds me of the first time Ms. Charlene went riding with me in my teener... unreal loud assed pump...

"That buzzer..."

"Yeah?"

"Does that go off when it warms up?"

"Hmmm.. hope not.." biggrin.gif

M
machina
QUOTE (maf914 @ Jun 21 2005, 12:31 PM)
David, Does the mallory pump make much noise? Some electric pumps can be irritatingly loud for street use, (i.e. Facet). idea.gif

its quieter than the holley and just barely loud enough to know its running.

I like that because i have the pump and ignition switched independently so when I energize the pump, i know its running before I startup.

doing all these -AN lines, I became obsessed with finding the cleanest and shortest way to connect things. Like always using a hose end that fit directly instead of say getting an adapter to go from -3/8 => -6 and then using a -6 hose end. It just makes the install better and I think a bit safer not to have several inches of fittings hanging off the end of a hose.

sometimes I would have to get a russell fitting if earls or AQ didn't make it or have it in stock or in aluminum vs steel etc.

i would always order form summit. they would have most every fitting and if I ordered online by late afternoon, the stuff shipped out that day. They never let me down.
Thorshammer
Got mine from summit as well. 159.95??

excellent pump, had to take mine apart to see what makes it tick, Nice stuff.

It must be mounted so that the electric motor is above the pump housing, if you mount it upside down, and it leaks, it can start a fire. it does draw much less current than the holley.

Erik Madsen
Mueller
QUOTE (SteveSr @ Jun 21 2005, 09:51 AM)

Steve

thanks Steve....I couldn't find any 3/8npt to barb fittings larger than 1/4" unsure.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 21 2005, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (SteveSr @ Jun 21 2005, 09:51 AM)

Steve

thanks Steve....I couldn't find any 3/8npt to barb fittings larger than 1/4" unsure.gif

i think jwest or engman has the tank fitting to AN6 adapters. go braided line all the way mikey?

BTW - i hear these pumps are noisy mofo's
Mike,

I'm currently running a Holley Blue pump up front.
From there -6 AN Aeroquip to the back, then a fuel regulator to a small micron filter to my webers.

cool.gif
Jake Raby
The Mallory is the EFI pump that I have chosen for my engines and FI kits. You can't go wrong with any Mallory component..

BTW guys, wait until you see the R&D that I did today with carbs Vs. EFI on a 2739cc engine... I dynoed it all day today and data logged all the information- its impossible to lie with data logged files..
Mueller
i think jwest or engman has the tank fitting to AN6 adapters. go braided line all the way mikey?

jwest has them...$25 each (2 needed if doing return line which I need)

i wish I hadn't thrown away that extra gas tank I had, otherwise I would have a better idea on the size of the fittings under the tank and my options....
McMark
I have extra gas tanks. wink.gif
Mueller
found a new pump made by MSD, looks very close to the stock front trunk mounted /4 tanks:

user posted image

$92.00 from Summit Racing, I think I'll be going with this one instead, it's almost $50 less than the Mallory and it'll fit better in the stock location.

TimT
Mike check out

Walbro fuel pumps

I have a Walbro pump thats good for 500hp in my car, and its the size of a Red Bull can..

they also have many different fuel line adapters

you can get these pumps at many other sites also
TimT
Nuther site
Mueller
thanks Tim,

I like the fitting options.........
E-Man
Sorry it took so long and the poor quality of pictures (crap camera). -Mike
E-Man
Sorry it took so long and the poor quality of pictures (crap camera). -Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.