Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passenger footwell foamy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Mark Henry

My car is pretty good condition '74, I don't think the foamy has ever been out before. When I was taking it out I thought for sure I was going to break it, almost like it was under suction. Like I said in the title it has a waxy, gooey, rust proofing. cosmoline like stuff sticking it in. Almost honey like, no smell to it.

Is this factory or is this aftermarket rust proofing?

mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2019, 12:15 PM) *

My car is pretty good condition '74, I don't think the foamy has ever been out before. When I was taking it out I thought for sure I was going to break it, almost like it was under suction. Like I said in the title it has a waxy, gooey, rust proofing. cosmoline like stuff sticking it in. Almost honey like, no smell to it.

I think it may have been contact adhesive.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2019, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2019, 12:15 PM) *

I don't think so, if it is it ever dried, even out for almost a week it's still sticky.
Chi-town
My 74' foam has the same thing, almost like they greased it to keep it from squeaking from contact?
davep
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2019, 11:43 AM) *

I think you are on the right track with this. The factory wanted this to stay in place and hold the carpet as well.
914runnow
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2019, 10:15 AM) *

yes that is normal..and amazing that its properties remain the same
after all this time..
want some real fun..stick a paper towel on it..no don't
it will live on it then..
not rust proofing..
the normal schmo...would not have been messing with it back in the day..
out of my 20 914's.. love that goo..
ClayPerrine
FYI... That foam block is compressed sawdust held together by the shellac on the outside. Really cheaply made.
Chi-town
My 74' has the gooey stuff on it, no idea what it is or why they did it?
Chris914n6
Same here with the gooey stuff. How and why I don't know. Mine seems to have dried some being out in the fresh & hot air -- or maybe not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.