Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister Solid Mount R&R
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
So, my old Weltmeister mounts were compressing and regularly loosing torque as a consequence. I figured this could also be negatively impacting my shifting as it was compressed at this point by well over a 1/4". I spun up some replacements from Delrin, added big fender washers top and bottom to spread the load out, and kept the stack height the same.

Only question I have is a bunch of people on a Facebook forum are saying I'll crack my trans ears using solid style mounts. I've never heard this. Has anyone else?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chi-town
Are your front bushings solid also? If not then yes all the stress of movement will go to the ears of the trans.
yeahmag
Fronts are also solid. That makes sense...
GeorgeRud
As the chassis twists as well, I think the solid mounts will eventually crack something. The transmission mount ears would certainly be an area to watch.
campbellcj
You may be best-off with the semi-solid mounts such as Wevo or be able to fab something similar that has enough flex to avoid cracking the trans. I'm not sure what that material is, though. On my 911 I can say going to those mounts noticeably snugged-down the rear and improved shifting.
John
I've been running 100% solid mounts front and rear on a track car and a street car for 30+ years and never had any ears crack (901 or 915). The track car has been a 914-6 and a long time ago, the street car was a 4-cyl, and now a 911 engine. I've never noticed any increase in vibration from the engine being solidly bolted into the chassis either. Shifting is vastly improved, but as always, your mileage may vary.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.