Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Lost Huey's ignition key...now what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Anyone have any ideas?

I have somehow misplaced Huey's ignition key. Nadine and I have looked everywhere inside, outside, in cars, trailers, etc. And if you ask "did you look..." the answer is Yes. I've tried to back trace my time but it's been over a month since I started him, so who knows... (and yes, we only had 1 key...don't start that on me now too).

I BELIEVE it's a 964 ignition switch. Its mounted in the dash on the left and I got it from someone many years ago. I had to modify the heck out of the dash frame and switch to make it work, but it does and it will be a real PITA to take it out.

So my question is, what are my options? Does anyone know if a key can be made from the ignition switch while in the car? I know, call a locksmith...just didn't know if anyone had any short cuts (besides finding the damn keys!)

Oh yeah....that really cool "914" bottle opener key chain is lost too, as is the key for the doors...

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes not a problem, if the car was here we would have a good key within 30 minutes guaranteed

QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 4 2019, 03:14 PM) *

Anyone have any ideas?

I have somehow misplaced Huey's ignition key. Nadine and I have looked everywhere inside, outside, in cars, trailers, etc. And if you ask "did you look..." the answer is Yes. I've tried to back trace my time but it's been over a month since I started him, so who knows... (and yes, we only had 1 key...don't start that on me now too).

I BELIEVE it's a 964 ignition switch. Its mounted in the dash on the left and I got it from someone many years ago. I had to modify the heck out of the dash frame and switch to make it work, but it does and it will be a real PITA to take it out.

So my question is, what are my options? Does anyone know if a key can be made from the ignition switch while in the car? I know, call a locksmith...just didn't know if anyone had any short cuts (besides finding the damn keys!)

Oh yeah....that really cool "914" bottle opener key chain is lost too, as is the key for the doors...

sixnotfour
move on,,,it will magically show up...right where you put it..I do it all the time...
Rand
Yeah, so the good doctor can make you a new one within 30 minutes. Somehow makes makes me sick inside. Thanks for sharing that one. Need a new vin too?

Just take this opportunity to do different options, like a remote starter button until the REAL key shows up again. You'll never lose that spare key again! biggrin.gif Wait, does Smurf still need a key?
naro914
The immediate problem is I was planning to move it to a friends storage building for a month or so, so I have room in the garage to put Papa Smurf back together...That was supposed to happen today... grrr...
mb911
Try one of those key /ignition restoration folks. I know there are 2 on the forums.. I have all of my keyed components at one of them now. Waiting on my estimate as we speak.
naro914
And to make matters more difficult...taking the ignition switch out is REALLY a PITA.

When we put it in, we used one of the pre-drilled holes in the dash - it was for some light switch or something. But...those holes are dimpled out, and the shape of the switch and how it bolted to the dash made it stick out too much. So we modified the dash face, and created a slick (but impossible to remove) mount in the back to hold the switch in place, and rivited it to the dash frame. Then I fabricated a really nice dash face plate that extends THE ENTIRE DASH (yes, around the steering column and all) and covered it with vinyl, that fit UNDER the edges of the top and bottom dash pads. So in order to take the ignition switch out, I have to take the entire dash face off...which also means the dash pads, pry it off (we used automotive trim tape) then drill the rivets, and disassemble everything underneath and around all the wires...which as you know are all RIGHT THERE...

I need to find those keys....<sigh>
sb914
Locksmith uses a “soft” key blank they file until it works,I had this done many moons ago took him around 30 minutes .easy peasy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
also funny, I have over 300 different 914 ignition keys from cars we scrapped over the years,. I ALWAYS find one that works, all 911 69 -98 as well as 912 models have the same key blank.
Rand
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 4 2019, 03:29 PM) *

also funny, I have over 300 different 914 ignition keys from cars we scrapped over the years,. I ALWAYS find one that works, all 911 69 -98 as well as 912 models have the same key blank.

Great. The 91x creeper.
preach
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 4 2019, 06:29 PM) *

I have started 2 different jeeps with the "wrong" key. '70s CJs and '80s XJs
How many combos can there be?
bandjoey
And Yes. A good locksmith can see the impression on the blank and file until it's done. About 15 minutes for a good locksmith
We got those key rings at MUSR. Someone here made them.
Ps. Take a good picture oh the key. A good locksmith can read the key and code cut one.
rhodyguy
When the key for my car was made the LS wiggled a soft blank in the switch, read the 'marks' against a chart, entered the numbers from the cart in the cutting machine and a new perfectly working key was produced. He spent more time explaining the process than the cutting took.
Larmo63
It's always jacket pockets. All jackets, all jacket pockets.

That is where I would check.

Or, it's probably on the clipboard hanging on the wall with your to-do list.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2019, 07:27 PM) *

Also between and under seats when it falls out of your jacket pocket.
rgalla9146

in shoes and boots, under the stairs in the garage
bandjoey
In the tool box?
naro914

Checked every jacket pocket, every fleece pocket...every every pocket...
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 4 2019, 07:45 PM) *

Also between and under seats when it falls out of your jacket pocket.

Checked, double checked and triple checked all 4 cars...
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 4 2019, 07:56 PM) *

in shoes and boots, under the stairs in the garage

Every one...
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 4 2019, 09:41 PM) *

In the tool box?

First place I looked after realizing they weren’t where they were supposed to be.

Like I said...Yes...we’ve checked EVERYWHERE.... except, obviously where they are.
VegasRacer
When I lost the only key to my X/19, I found it a month later in the washing machine catch screen. (along with 37 cents.)
For added irony; the whole time it was only a few feet away from where it belonged.
Dave_Darling
Once you replace the ignition switch and/or get a new key, the old one will promptly turn up.

--DD
Mueller
Donate any clothes to Goodwill for year end deductions?
naro914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 4 2019, 06:29 PM) *

So George...any chance you could send them all to me to try out and I’ll send all that don’t work back and pay you for the one one that does work?
naro914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 5 2019, 12:44 AM) *

Donate any clothes to Goodwill for year end deductions?

Yes, but I know I’ve started the car since Jan 1..
wndsrfr
On the floor under the seat....
ClayPerrine
If you need to start Huey, just unplug the wires from the ignition switch, and plug in a different one.

That will work unless you have the steering lock working. Otherwise I would just call a locksmith.

jfort
this is the kind of thing I would do. funny, but not. i'd call the locksmith, they are magicians, and have 3 made.
sixnotfour
On the floor under the seat....

914 ,,truck,,car,,
KELTY360
You’ll find it after you stop looking.
mepstein
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 5 2019, 12:39 PM) *

2 minutes after the locksmith walks out the door.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2019, 09:55 AM) *

As soon as you have paid the locksmith.
whitetwinturbo
........ "CRS" blink.gif
naro914
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 5 2019, 01:18 PM) *

Close... I was ready to call...

And I found them

Click to view attachment

So let me put this in perspective... keys were on the nail with the clipboard of "to dos" for Huey. Which is on the wall at the workbench that I was doing all the brake lines and calipers on Sunday for Papa Smurf, and Nadine was sitting with the computer doing the spreadsheet of all the work to do.
It was directly in front of us the whole time... headbang.gif
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 5 2019, 02:32 PM) *

And I found them

Click to view attachment

So let me put this in perspective... keys were on the nail with the clipboard of "to dos" for Huey. Which is on the wall at the workbench that I was doing all the brake lines and calipers on Sunday for Papa Smurf, and Nadine was sitting with the computer doing the spreadsheet of all the work to do.

Make - The - Spare! Better yet, make two spares and keep them with the spares for all the other cars. Once you spend the money for the spares, you will never need them.....

Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 5 2019, 02:32 PM) *

And I found them

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
If you make extras don't stick 'em all on the same key ring, I've done that. dry.gif
Cairo94507
Glad you found them. Tough getting older and forgetting where I put stuff. Typically it's my phone, keys, wallet, coffee...... beerchug.gif
naro914
Yeah...getting old sucks.
But I guess it beats the alternative!
sixnotfour
Every time...right where we left em.....unless the wife moves em..but she remembers Haha
naro914
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 5 2019, 05:49 PM) *

beerchug.gif
If you make extras don't stick 'em all on the same key ring, I've done that. dry.gif

We have all our spare keys in a drawer by themselves.
Interestingly I have 2 sets for Papa Smurf..which uses no keys...

I have one blank. Should get another...
Larmo63
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2019, 04:27 PM) *

Or, it's probably on the clipboard hanging on the wall with your to-do list.

Wow, Lawrence was clairvoyant!!
ClayPerrine
Bob,

When we have keys made for any 914, we always have one made from the lock, and that one is used to make a 1 sided key. It won't work in the lock, so it never wears down, but it can be used to cut new keys for the car.

Make one like that and stick it in your safe deposit box. That way the next time you lose the key, you can have one easily made.

Clay
KELTY360
Thank you so much for posting for our amusement. You've brought a smile to many. first.gif

BTW, Huey is the coolest 914 on the planet.
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2019, 03:25 PM) *

Bob,

When we have keys made for any 914, we always have one made from the lock, and that one is used to make a 1 sided key. It won't work in the lock, so it never wears down, but it can be used to cut new keys for the car.

Make one like that and stick it in your safe deposit box. That way the next time you lose the key, you can have one easily made.

Clay

That is unless you lose the key for the safe deposit box like I did once! hissyfit.gif
Mark Henry
A couple of years ago my wife lost her keys and was blaming me, honestly I have done this before so I was the likely suspect. I cleaned out my shop, she cleaned out the house, we looked everywhere...gone.
Two or three months later we were doing a garbage run and I saw a purse on the pile, "isn't this your purse?"I asked, "my old one, it's worn out" was her reply. I started to look through it and she says "I already emptied it".
It was one with several hidden zippered pockets, yep... I pulled out her keys.

I lose my keys all the time, now it's like I have a lost keys get out of jail free card, my wife no longer gives me crap she just helps me look wink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.