Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left Headlight Sticking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniStevieG
Had a chance to spend a few hours with my new whip and got the rear tail lights wired up right. Crazy that the previous owner had every plug in the absolute wrong spot. Nonetheless it gave me the opportunity to start digging in. Happy to say that everything works as it should so now it's time to replace the lenses. Was worried I may have to replace the housings but all good!!

In the meantime I've discovered a new problem. Well, likely it's always been a problem but it just popped up on my radar. The left headlight is sticking in either the up or down position. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it doesn't, and vice versa. I've discovered that by removing the rubber boot covering the mechanism and take a pair of pliers and give it a turn ever so slightly it engages and works. I'd say it almost resets itself. I oiled up the mechanism to see if that would help and it did for a minute then started sticking again. Could this indicate that the headlight motor might need replacing?

Cheers!
Larmo63
Clean all of the grounds. (brown wires)
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 5 2019, 12:12 AM) *

Clean all of the grounds. (brown wires)

Tried it. It appears as if the motor is just getting stuck when it's trying to make the mechanism rotation to either the up or down position. Thx!!
falcor75
Try swapping the headlight relays from side to side and see if the issue follows the relay first to eliminate the relay starting to go bad.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 5 2019, 12:26 AM) *

Try swapping the headlight relays from side to side and see if the issue follows the relay first to eliminate the relay starting to go bad.

I'll try that thanks!!
Mikey914
Also make sure the nut on the actuator arm isn't slipping.
Jonathan Livesay
Also make sure the headlight cover is not getting hung up on the "eyebrow".
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 5 2019, 11:57 AM) *

Turns out I’m missing these two items that hold the actuator arm firmly on the housing. I noticed that when I took at look at the other headlight housing. We’ll see if that works.
Click to view attachment
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 5 2019, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 5 2019, 11:57 AM) *

Turns out I’m missing these two items that hold the actuator arm firmly on the housing. I noticed that when I took at look at the other headlight housing. We’ll see if that works.
Click to view attachment

Wishful thinking. Still gets stuck in either the up or down position. Starting to wonder if the motor is just worn out
MiniStevieG
Think I'm just going to get another motor. I've been reading up how others have had issues related to a bad cam in the motor. Hopefully that solves the problem.
Cheers!!
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 5 2019, 01:55 PM) *

Think I'm just going to get another motor. I've been reading up how others have had issues related to a bad cam in the motor. Hopefully that solves the problem.
Cheers!!

I fixed mine by cleaning the grease from the contacts inside the gearbox area where the wires go inside and are identified in this borrowed photo. I regreased and checked that the contacts had enough spring pressure. Just remove the three machine screws you see here. I don't think you need to touch the center pivot bolt with nut. I think this is factory set for where the motor turns off and on. Just clean and lube the contacts inside. Click to view attachment
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Feb 5 2019, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 5 2019, 01:55 PM) *

Cheers!!

I fixed mine by cleaning the grease from the contacts inside the gearbox area where the wires go inside and are identified in this borrowed photo. I regreased and checked that the contacts had enough spring pressure. Just remove the three machine screws you see here. I don't think you need to touch the center pivot bolt with nut. I think this is factory set for where the motor turns off and on. Just clean and lube the contacts inside. Click to view attachment

Fixed. Got a refurb motor on eBay.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.