Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M7 Bolt Source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
Anyone know of a good source to buy class 12.9 M7 hex bolts? I'm looking to replace the bolts that hold the caliper halves together, if possible.

I had my bolts re-plated in zinc not realizing they were 12.9 grade bolts. Apparently, this is a no-no as harder bolts are more susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement during the plating process.

Any tips appreciated. I've done a lot of online searching but this is just a really odd sized bolt and hard to find, especially in 12.9.
ConeDodger
Call PMB and buy from them.
Mark Henry
New? good luck.
Off of a core or PMB
mepstein
I'm pretty sure PMB replates their bolts. New ones are NLA. I think they need to be baked during the plating process.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2019, 05:53 AM) *

I'm pretty sure PMB replates their bolts. New ones are NLA. I think they need to be baked during the plating

agree.gif I've read and watched the PMB brake rebuilt How-to and video many times as I'm doing it myself. He clearly states the fasteners are replated in black zinc. Everything I've read about hydrogen embrittlement says the parts need to be baked at 375F-400F for 4 hours within 4 hours of plating to drive the hydrogen out. Maybe ask the plater if they baked them?
aggiezig
Great tips everyone, thanks. I believe the plater baked everything but not 100% certain.

I have a couple of cores laying around so may try to salvage those bolts, if not PMB is a good option, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.