Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 2.0 stock muffler O2 bung location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
Anyone with any knowledge about the best location for a O2 bung in a 73 2.0.

Just rebuilt the MPS and want to make sure I'm running decent. My guess is somewhere in the center of the muffler but then again what do I know. Any info would be welcome.

Dave

Tom_T
QUOTE(Downerman @ Feb 6 2019, 12:22 PM) *

Just rebuilt the MPS and want to make sure I'm running decent. My guess is somewhere in the center of the muffler but then again what do I know. Any info would be welcome.

Dave

Hey Dave .... unless I'm having a "Senior Moment", which is entirely possible .... the 73 MYs didn't have an O2 sensor at all - certainly there isn't one in either of my OEM Bishoff or Leistritz 2L Banana mufflers.

AFAIK only the 75-76 cars had the O2 sensor for the increased smog controls in those years.

So my 73 2L is completely "Bung-hole-less" - & so should yours! biggrin.gif

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Downerman
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 6 2019, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Downerman @ Feb 6 2019, 12:22 PM) *

Dave

Hey Dave .... unless I'm having a "Senior Moment", which is entirely possible .... the 73 MYs didn't have an O2 sensor at all - certainly there isn't one in either of my OEM Bishoff or Leistritz 2L Banana mufflers.

AFAIK only the 75-76 cars had the O2 sensor for the increased smog controls in those years.

So my 73 2L is completely "Bung-hole-less" - & so should yours! biggrin.gif

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

[b] [

Tom, yeah lol....no senior moment. I'm wanting to add a bung for a O2 sensor tester so I can dial in my newly rebuilt mps. I know my 73 didn't come with one originally.
Firstcar
Dave,
I’m in the same boat and am planning to weld a bung facing forward on the passenger side of the muffler facing towards the firewall at about a 20-30 degree angle pointed above horizontal to keep moisture from collecting on the tip. See cutaway below courtesy of Jeff Bowlsby’s website. The exhaust from the four inlets have merged by this point and should provide a good sample. I also think it should be far enough from the tailpipe to avoid dilution at idle and low RPMs. I know it’s not normal to mount a sensor in the muffler, but we don’t have many options with the stock banana muffler. I don’t think taping into one tube is a satisfactory solution.
-Scott

Click to view attachment
djway
Using only one O2 sensor you need all banks going through same point.
The other consideration is that it needs to be far enough from the exit as to not get any clean O2 getting in and diluting the gas mixture.
To get my FI running proper I made an extension for the end of the exhaust that I had the bung and sensor on. I clamped that onto the tip and made sure it was sealed.
After running around at speed to measure mixture and do my adjustments I removed the contraption and saved for the next time.
Downerman
Scott..... awesome. I got my bung and looking to weld it in place. Thanks so much for that cut a way.

Dave

QUOTE(Firstcar @ Feb 6 2019, 06:10 PM) *

Dave,
I’m in the same boat and am planning to weld a bung facing forward on the passenger side of the muffler facing towards the firewall at about a 20-30 degree angle pointed above horizontal to keep moisture from collecting on the tip. See cutaway below courtesy of Jeff Bowlsby’s website. The exhaust from the four inlets have merged by this point and should provide a good sample. I also think it should be far enough from the tailpipe to avoid dilution at idle and low RPMs. I know it’s not normal to mount a sensor in the muffler, but we don’t have many options with the stock banana muffler. I don’t think taping into one tube is a satisfactory solution.
-Scott

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.