Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP- 914-6 Headlight question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
Admin: I think I posted in wrong folder--retyping thread in Garage

Folks
My right side 914-6 headlight high beam is not working (original 6 circuitry)
Low beam works on both sides
High bean only works on left side; right side is off
Fog lights work

I bought new lights (H4s) and replaced it thinking it was a bad high beam

New light did not work on high, only low beam
I replaced a third light to confirm and same--

Fuse box under dash all my fuses are good--but is there one fuse that controls the right and left high beam separately? it would not make sense that there is a fuse only for one side of the light and only for high beam....

the rear engine relay, does it have anything to do with the lights?

I am trying to see where or what I need to check, specially if low bean works

there are three wires in the back of the light--how do I check voltage to see if the connector is bad?

Me not a good mechanic.... simple questions for many of you, but for yours truly.... not that simple...I am trying to be like all you cool katz that can do all of the fixes on your own!!

any help/suggestions are appreciated..

pictures of diagrams will help if you have any!

Gracias!
johnhora
First up...
Do you have a voltohmmeter....if not get one...a cheap one form homedepot/lowes etc will be fine.
Start by checking the voltage at the connector on the bulb....see if you get 12v
Maybe nothing more than a bad connector or loose wire connection.
lierofox
If I remember correctly, the left 6 fuses are the same for all years of 914's.

Going left to right it should be:

1) High Beam Left
2) High Beam Right

3) Low Beam Left
4) Low Beam Right

5) Parking Light Left
6) Parking Light Right

So you'll want to pay particularly close attention to fuse #2

If you have a multimeter, switch it to DC volts, hook the black probe up to a good ground on your vehicle (should be able to just use the metal under the underside dash pad as a ground point) and then probe the positive lead against the tabs on both sides of the fuse to make sure you have 12v on both sides when you have the high beams switched on and the key on.

IPB Image

(Make sure to test with the fuse in place.)

If you have 12v on one side of the fuse, but not the other, the problem is your fuse, it's either broken or corroded and not making good contact.

If you have 12v on both sides, check the connector for the headlight itself.

Remove the headlight and you'll see the connector plugged into the back of it.

Use the DC Volts setting again and touch the black probe tip to the brown wire terminal, and the red probe tip to the white wire terminal. Also test the terminals on the headlight as well, as shown:

IPB Image

Both spots should read 12v if your high beams are turned on and the key is on.

If you don't have 12v there, but you DO have 12v on both sides of the #2 fuse, you'll have to dig around through the wiring to see if the wire is cut or broken somewhere.

(Edit: Added some images)
R8CERX
QUOTE(johnhora @ Feb 6 2019, 02:09 PM) *

First up...
Do you have a voltohmmeter....if not get one...a cheap one form homedepot/lowes etc will be fine.
Start by checking the voltage at the connector on the bulb....see if you get 12v
Maybe nothing more than a bad connector or loose wire connection.

Thank you for the response--yes; I do have a meter and will test with it

Much appreciate it!

Felix
R8CERX
QUOTE(lierofox @ Feb 6 2019, 04:46 PM) *

If I remember correctly, the left 6 fuses are the same for all years of 914's.

Going left to right it should be:

1) High Beam Left
2) High Beam Right

3) Low Beam Left
4) Low Beam Right

5) Parking Light Left
6) Parking Light Right

So you'll want to pay particularly close attention to fuse #2

If you have a multimeter, switch it to DC volts, hook the black probe up to a good ground on your vehicle (should be able to just use the metal under the underside dash pad as a ground point) and then probe the positive lead against the tabs on both sides of the fuse to make sure you have 12v on both sides when you have the high beams switched on and the key on.

IPB Image

(Make sure to test with the fuse in place.)

If you have 12v on one side of the fuse, but not the other, the problem is your fuse, it's either broken or corroded and not making good contact.

If you have 12v on both sides, check the connector for the headlight itself.

Remove the headlight and you'll see the connector plugged into the back of it.

Use the DC Volts setting again and touch the black probe tip to the brown wire terminal, and the red probe tip to the white wire terminal. Also test the terminals on the headlight as well, as shown:

IPB Image

Both spots should read 12v if your high beams are turned on and the key is on.

If you don't have 12v there, but you DO have 12v on both sides of the #2 fuse, you'll have to dig around through the wiring to see if the wire is cut or broken somewhere.

(Edit: Added some images)

WOW!!

Likewise to you. THANK YOU!! beerchug.gif

Taking the time to take pics and provide the step by step guide is AWESOME!!

Just to provide a general feedback--
I am afraid of electricity, and while is low voltage, I also don't like to just prove around. headbang.gif

I had an idea of what I may have to do, but having feedback like you ALL guys provide in this forum, is so beneficial and very useful to someone that understands the theory but lacks the information and understanding--even on simple stuff like this perhaps comparde to other crazy stuff you all get into!!

Now I feel confident to dive into it and not be affraid to do the wrong thing.

so, really really appreciate the time you have taken to teach me how to fish!!! aktion035.gif

I will advise once I figure out what happened....

Cheers piratenanner.gif

Felix
lierofox
Electricity is tough, the fundamentals aren't intuitive for everyone. It takes time and experimentation to really understand what you're dealing with!
R8CERX
QUOTE(lierofox @ Feb 7 2019, 12:25 PM) *

Electricity is tough, the fundamentals aren't intuitive for everyone. It takes time and experimentation to really understand what you're dealing with!

agree.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Feb 7 2019, 04:05 PM) *

agree.gif

unsure.gif experimenting with electricity can get expensive...
R8CERX
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Feb 7 2019, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(R8CERX @ Feb 7 2019, 04:05 PM) *

agree.gif

unsure.gif experimenting with electricity can get expensive...

hissyfit.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.