Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye Bye, away she goes. . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
Well, another chapter of my life closed today. . . This was my 3rd Six, and the nicest. . Doing the restoration was my enjoyment, and showing it for the past 8 years was somewhat fun, but it was just too nice to drive. . . I created a monster and the only way out was to let it go and maybe start over. . .

Can't say enough good things about this site and the members who have a reputation of helping each other out, Luke managed to find a couple of the harder Six parts when I was doing the restoration. .

I'll be looking for a GT project on the "Cars for Sale" page, something i can drive and have fun with.
76-914
Someone got a very nice car. beerchug.gif
jagalyn
Beautiful car... I've had a few of these 'too nice to drive' cars and they are fun to show but do rob the joy of ownership by not wanting to ever get it dirty, wet or have to park it anywhere unattended. I like you would rather have a very nice driver and money in my pocket.
Unobtanium-inc
My rule is never to have a dog or a car that I'm afraid of. So all my cars are drivers and my dogs are not in the least bit scary. Your car looked beautiful, but I think I would be afraid of it.
mepstein
I would have driven it.
Amenson
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 7 2019, 11:00 PM) *

My rule is never to have a dog or a car that I'm afraid of. So all my cars are drivers and my dogs are not in the least bit scary. Your car looked beautiful, but I think I would be afraid of it.

Ahhh, the one on the cushion looks a bit evil. sad.gif
Cairo94507
Silver Six..... drooley.gif Someone got a beautiful car. beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 7 2019, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 7 2019, 11:00 PM) *

Ahhh, the one on the cushion looks a bit evil. sad.gif

Those are just her blind eyes, old, blind toothless, and full of love. The black one is her father and is in much better health even though he's older.
sixnotfour
hooray...you did it justice ,,,now have fun......let r rip...
sb914
Beautiful car sad to see it go ! Click to view attachment
914Sixer
I understand about letting the -6's go. I have sold my 3 sixes over the years. Trying to just get one nice car and drive the hell out of it.
tmessenger
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 7 2019, 09:35 PM) *

Beautiful car... I've had a few of these 'too nice to drive' cars and they are fun to show but do rob the joy of ownership by not wanting to ever get it dirty, wet or have to park it anywhere unattended. I like you would rather have a very nice driver and money in my pocket.

I had a near perfect 912E same deal I was always worried about parking etc. I sold it to a friend and his wife parked it at the grocery store and someone opened there car door on it hard put a big crease down the side, no more worries.

Tim
burton73
Hi Dave

I sent you a PM. You build some very nice cars!

Bob Burton
Larmo63
I last saw this car at the Dana Point Concours and I think it won it's class.

My cars are drivers, but I do know how having a perfect car can be nerve-racking.

I like having the freedom to do whatever I want to my car without having to worry about CWs and keeping it original for posterity.
ctc911ctc
infinite curb appeal, very, very nice!

QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 7 2019, 10:19 PM) *

Well, another chapter of my life closed today. . . This was my 3rd Six, and the nicest. . Doing the restoration was my enjoyment, and showing it for the past 8 years was somewhat fun, but it was just too nice to drive. . . I created a monster and the only way out was to let it go and maybe start over. . .

Can't say enough good things about this site and the members who have a reputation of helping each other out, Luke managed to find a couple of the harder Six parts when I was doing the restoration. .

I'll be looking for a GT project on the "Cars for Sale" page, something i can drive and have fun with.

Ferg
Is it staying stateside? hope the new owner joins or is a member.

toolguy
stayed in USA
tpines
Hi Dave,

Sorry you sold it but I understand. I've really enjoyed learning about 914's from you and I'm looking forward to seeing your next project!

Clark
Lucky9146
Having had a "too nice to drive" car before, I know exactly what Dave was going through. I had the distinct pleasure of helping Dave prepare this car for a Zone 8 concours once here in San Diego, and the car is PERFECT!!! Won it's class and best of show! You have no idea the lengths he will go for originality. beerchug.gif

The first time I saw this car in 2012 I did not know Dave. It was at a concours of course down on the bay and I took several pictures of it then. Here is one.

Click to view attachment

I met Dave at another concours in 2015 and we have been friends since. beerchug.gif
Here is Dave in action, he is on the far right on one knee showing the judge something at that 2015 concours.

Click to view attachment

I think for you, the fun is the doing, more than the driving. Glad to hear you're looking for a GT, you can't go wrong there.
The trick is not to get the next one to this point. A nice driver is a lot of fun. slap.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
windforfun
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 7 2019, 08:00 PM) *

I LOVE YOUR DOGS!!!
Tom_T
Well Dave, I'm looking forward to your next one! smilie_pokal.gif

With your quality of work, even a driver will be first.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 8 2019, 10:00 AM) *

I last saw this car at the Dana Point Concours and I think it won it's class.

My cars are drivers, but I do know how having a perfect car can be nerve-racking.

I like having the freedom to do whatever I want to my car without having to worry about CWs and keeping it original for posterity.

agree.gif agree.gif

The ABM is nicer that I want it to be. It should be driven, but I can't do it.
Luke M
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 7 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Hi Dave,

I love that silver 6. I watched your thread when it was being put back together.
It was a pleasure in helping you out with some of the parts. I've had some nice cars in my past that I couldn't daily drive as well. Like you, I ended up selling them off for others to enjoy. I'm building my current six to my specs and plan to drive this one.
Wish you all the best and can't wait to see the new project build.

Take care,
AHudson
Hi Dave, I do not 'know you' per se, but 'of' you through that car and our mutual friend Jim K. He claimed the car was a dog until he helped you prep for Concours! smile.gif

Not so! He - with direct help from you and your fanatical eye for detail - has helped me with advice on bringing my own -6 back up to standard. So thank you both.

I completely understand the motivation to dismiss a car because it's too nice. They just seem to cross this invisible line from the worthy pursuit of improvement to some unusable state thereof.

Did that with an E Type Jaguar a couple years back and am trying not to cross that line again. (But since it's invisible its hard to spot!)

Hoping the new owner will carry the torch of respectful appreciation of your fine work. And yes, also hoping that includes driving it!

Congratulations on having done the hobby proud, and making the rest of us feel slightly less OCD as a result. smile.gif Best to you on your next pursuit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.