Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Adjust the Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
In relation to my other thread about my engine knocking, I'm getting ready to check and adjust the timing for the first time. I tried to find a thread on setting timing for dummies with no luck, so I'm reaching out for guidance.

I have a dual-carbed (IDF40s) 4 cylinder, not sure if its a 1.7 or 1.8L (previous owner, who was a flipper, said it was a 1.8, but the engine case number indicates a 1.7L).

I have friend who has a timing light with a digital "advance?" setting on it and knows how to use it, but has never done it on a 914.

So what is the advance that I need to set the timing to?

I've seen some threads that indicate 29 degrees.... 32 degrees, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm assuming that if you set the advance on the timing light, you can use the TDC mark on the flywheel rather than the secondary advance mark the flywheel.

Any help is appreciated.

VaccaRabite
With digital advance its SUPER easy.

Open up the inspection port on the dog house.
Loosen up the long bolt that clamps the dizzy. You want it loose enough that it can be turned by hand, but not so loose that it flops around.

You will likely need a mirror if doing this single handed, easier with a friend.

Look down the inspection port and you can see the fan. You will also be able to see a notch cut into the engine side.

Hook up the light to your battery, put the inductor clamp over the #1 plug wire and set the digital advance to about 29 degrees (use your manual to determine what your timing should be set at, and use that number - 29 is a guess)

Start the car. With your friend working the gas, rev the engine up to 3000 rpm and hold it there. shine the light down the port and look. You should see a white line (or just a line) under the notch in the housing. If you don't, SLOWLY turn the distributor until you see the timing mark or the engine starts to run rough. If the engine starts running rough, turn it the other way till you find the timing mark. CENTER the mark in the notch.

Thats it. You have now set your engine to whatever the digital timing light was set to. tighten down the dizzy clamp and close everything up.

Your fan will have probably 2 or 3 different timing marks. The only one you are interested in is the TDC mark, which is sometimes a white line, and sometimes a "0". Your digital timing light will advance the flash on its own.

If doing this by yourself, you will need that inspection mirror. Do all the stuff above but you will be working the throttle from the engine bay. So you will need to set the mirror so that you can see the notch, and also look through the rear window and see the tach. AND you will be bouncing the timing light off the mirror, while holding the throttle open with your other hand. Its a PITA the first time, but you figure it out quick enough. Having a friend really does make this easier.

Zach
dcecc1968
Thanks a lot Zach. That is just the instruction I needed.

You mentioned finding the correct advance number "in the manual".... which manual? Haynes..? or other?
IronHillRestorations
Another thing you can do is duplicate the TDC, BDC (Top Dead Center, and Bottom Dead Center) as well as the timing marks on the back side of the flywheel through the hole in the right side of the crankcase. The BDC you'll use for valve adjustments.

Rotate the engine until you have it at TDC #1, mark the flywheel in the center of the hole, and then rotate it to the timing mark and make another mark (with different color marker or paint) for your timing mark.
cgnj
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Feb 8 2019, 07:09 AM) *

In relation to my other thread about my engine knocking, I'm getting ready to check and adjust the timing for the first time. I tried to find a thread on setting timing for dummies with no luck, so I'm reaching out for guidance.

I have a dual-carbed (IDF40s) 4 cylinder, not sure if its a 1.7 or 1.8L (previous owner, who was a flipper, said it was a 1.8, but the engine case number indicates a 1.7L).

I have friend who has a timing light with a digital "advance?" setting on it and knows how to use it, but has never done it on a 914.

So what is the advance that I need to set the timing to?

I've seen some threads that indicate 29 degrees.... 32 degrees, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm assuming that if you set the advance on the timing light, you can use the TDC mark on the flywheel rather than the secondary advance mark the flywheel.

Any help is appreciated.

I prefer timing from the flywheel, much easier to see than peering down thu the fan housing. I think you need to identify the distributor you have. It will make a big difference in how you time it.

TheCabinetmaker
Few things left out. Unplug and cap vacuum hoses to diz. Set dwell before timing! 47 degrees +or-3 degrees. Lube the shaft and rub block on points
IronHillRestorations
The Cabinetmaker brings up an important point. If you have the wrong dwell, your can (will probably) be off.
dcecc1968
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what kind of distributor I have tonight.

Where can I look up the dwell and advance?
VaccaRabite
Haynes manual says 27 degrees for a 1.7/2.0 at 3500 rpm, vac line disconnected.
7.5 degrees for a 1.8 at 900 rpm, vac line disconnected.

Dwell is between 44-50 degrees.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.