Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new Heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay since I decided to add ac & screwed up the heater setup I had. I have been regretting it. This topic of heat has come up plenty. I will be mounting Hair Dryers one on each side. Still deciding on wiring them together or separate. Anyone think both will be to taxing on the electrical system? They heat up quick so will not be run for to long a time. Just to help defrost the windows & get some heat in the cab at the opportune moments. Some may think this a bit on the Goofy side but it's a cheap easy thing to try. So why not
bretth
I don't see how it will work. Hair dryers are around 1000w each and 120v.
7TPorsh
I want to try this. Diesel heater
914forme
Jamie, just put the water heat back in the car, if you are using an under dash A/C unit they make them with water heat and defrost, I think that is what Kent did for his build. confused24.gif Vintage air makes them. 11400-VUZ-A - SlimLine Under Dash System Heat/Cool/Defrost Black Louvers located down the page a ways.

Or you can be screwy.gif like me and figure out one of the mini systems from Vintage Air fits, but you have to do a bit of cutting. A/C, Heat, and Defrost via the factory locations, no under dash unit or need to modify the center console unless you want to. You just have to cut up the car, move the fan, and headbang.gif
Chris914n6
General consensus is those 12v dryers are worthless, though the idea is intriguing.
18 amps each as listed. Your Suby alt can handle it.

This seems better suited Car Portable Heater Defroster Fan Universal DC 12V 500W
Justinp71

Seat warmers are a good, they take less power and warm you up directly...
mepstein
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 8 2019, 01:48 PM) *

Seat warmers are a good, they take less power and warm you up directly...

agree.gif they used to sell little electric heater fans for our cars but they never worked. You need a pretty big alternator to make electric heat work.
JRust
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 8 2019, 10:43 AM) *

Jamie, just put the water heat back in the car, if you are using an under dash A/C unit they make them with water heat and defrost, I think that is what Kent did for his build. confused24.gif Vintage air makes them. 11400-VUZ-A - SlimLine Under Dash System Heat/Cool/Defrost Black Louvers located down the page a ways.

Or you can be screwy.gif like me and figure out one of the mini systems from Vintage Air fits, but you have to do a bit of cutting. A/C, Heat, and Defrost via the factory locations, no under dash unit or need to modify the center console unless you want to. You just have to cut up the car, move the fan, and headbang.gif

I originally had the heater setup in the old air box. That got torn up when McMark was trying to fit both in it. He ended up building a new box for the AC unit which sits where the fresh airbox was. I've been kicking myself for not just doing one of the smaller AC units under the dash & not messing with my working setup. Yet again trying to keep a more stock look while having a/c. Just one of the many things I've done on my car which costs me more in the long run headbang.gif
sixnotfour
you got hot water and still have heater issues.....say what chair.gif
porschetub
Had a play with those ….no good ,too much current draw for not enough heat.
IronHillRestorations
Back in '78 when I got my first 914 with bad heater boxes, I got a little electric element with a cigarette lighter plug that was supposed to defrost the windows, it did not. There have been some electric heaters offered in the past, but since few to none are still in business, you can guess how good they worked.
tmessenger
QUOTE(bretth @ Feb 8 2019, 12:21 PM) *

I don't see how it will work. Hair dryers are around 1000w each and 120v.

That would be 83.3 amps per heater at 12V + the loss through the inverter so figure 92A/12v per heater. It's going to take the mother of all alternators to run those.

Tim
tmessenger
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 8 2019, 12:47 PM) *

General consensus is those 12v dryers are worthless, though the idea is intriguing.
18 amps each as listed. Your Suby alt can handle it.

This seems better suited Car Portable Heater Defroster Fan Universal DC 12V 500W

Nope 18A @ 12v = 216w, you need 42A @ 12v / 500w
GeorgeRud
i’d concur that you’d be much better off using the hot coolant as a heat source.
Chi-town
I was going to try and run a heater core and stock blower fan in front of one of the heater tube openings in the engine bay to see if that would work.
76-914
Jamie, if you go with that Vintage Air unit there is no cutting, drilling or other alteration to your OEM knee pad. And it is very close to stock in appearance. I did modify the 914's ducting so that I could use the defroster with the new AC/Heat. I discovered 2 things. 1) The fan isn't powerful enough to push much air thru all that ducting. 2) More importantly I found I do not need the defroster because my AC/Htr conditions the small cabin so quickly. Someone mentioned seat heaters; best thing since pockets on a shirt. I only use my heat when my with is with me. You can still hit me up for those tools when you add AC. beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
The electric heater in my car almost works. blink.gif The electric draw is substantial. When I turn it on, the headlights get noticeably dimmer.
The real problem is air flow. The mini fan doesn't cut it. The only time it is genuinely effective is if the top is off and the windows are up. YMMV Good luck.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 8 2019, 06:18 PM) *

Jamie, if you go with that Vintage Air unit there is no cutting, drilling or other alteration to your OEM knee pad. And it is very close to stock in appearance. I did modify the 914's ducting so that I could use the defroster with the new AC/Heat. I discovered 2 things. 1) The fan isn't powerful enough to push much air thru all that ducting. 2) More importantly I found I do not need the defroster because my AC/Htr conditions the small cabin so quickly. Someone mentioned seat heaters; best thing since pockets on a shirt. I only use my heat when my with is with me. You can still hit me up for those tools when you add AC. beerchug.gif

^ More info, or a breadcrumb trail to follow, please...

If this has been added to a 914 (and better yet, a -6), very interested to learn more.
infraredcalvin
See post 36 on this pelican thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...r-dryers-2.html

When i saw this I remembered a thread of this guy doing this, may want to search a bit more and find...
sb914
Here you go! Click to view attachment beer3.gif
draperjojo
biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 8 2019, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 8 2019, 06:18 PM) *

^ More info, or a breadcrumb trail to follow, please...

If this has been added to a 914 (and better yet, a -6), very interested to learn more.

@horizontally-opposed . It starts about post #589 pg 30. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2219962 beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
How much u wanna spend...

a/w intercooler, a turbo fan intake boost gizmo or 2, and a cone filter.
Mount in the engine bay, pipe it thru the rocker tube and into the stock air diverters.

Confuse the fuch out of people at car shows.
Steve
If it’s a six, Bens heat exchangers are the only way to go. They will roast you like a stock six.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.