Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The wife and I just had twins!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
biggrin.gif
I've bought Mike Hyde's 914, was just going to flip it, but the wife has decided it's her new summer DD.
Had a big /4 that had one carb get stuck WOT, not sure what's wrong but I suspect a spun rod bearing. I will be putting in an old 1.7 in and will later build a 2.0 Djet for it as I have most of the kit to do so.
Most of the go fast goodies are going onto my car, engine and tangerine exhaust likely on the young lads 914, that's if he ever gets his ass in gear to do his project. rolleyes.gif
Ferg
beerchug.gif Coool!
mepstein
Nice collection. If she gets tired of it, a nice 2.0 fi will be a good seller.
Cairo94507
Two great looking cars. beerchug.gif
burton73
NICE!! could not happen to a nicer guy. I hope the twins let you sleep wub.gif

Bob B
1adam12
Yes...Super Dope!
ctc911ctc
Mark, does not look like signal orange, what is the name of that orange? Or perhaps the color of the picture is off and both are signal?

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2019, 01:49 PM) *

biggrin.gif
I've bought Mike Hyde's 914, was just going to flip it, but the wife has decided it's her new summer DD.
Had a big /4 that had one carb get stuck WOT, not sure what's wrong but I suspect a spun rod bearing. I will be putting in an old 1.7 in and will later build a 2.0 Djet for it as I have most of the kit to do so.
Most of the go fast goodies are going onto my car, engine and tangerine exhaust likely on the young lads 914, that's if he ever gets his ass in gear to do his project. rolleyes.gif

ConeDodger
That’s cool! I’ve only seen that spoiler on the front car one other time. On mine. I destroyed it on my trailer with the straps... sad.gif
abes914
Very nice. Both look lovely. Although I like the look of the cookie cutter more than the fuch.
Chris H.
QUOTE(abes914 @ Feb 8 2019, 02:32 PM) *

Very nice. Both look lovely. Although I like the look of the cookie cutter more than the fuch.

agree.gif Great score! I HAVE to have some 15x6 cookies now. Of course I didn't want them when you could buy them for $50 each ALL DAY LONG dry.gif .
jfort
WOW! I bet you can't wait for spring.
Mark Henry
Front 914 is the new acquisition, a '72 1.7, it's supposed to be tangerine but who knows? The paint is Delfleet (PPG) code 31200, single stage polyurethane, I have almost a quart that Mike gave me.
This 914 was a bucket all welded up using RD parts, inner long kit and outer clamshells, full GT kit, floors, etc. All the metalwork is done right, but the welds could have been cleaned up better, gaps are perfect except for top of passenger door and rear hood needs adjustment.
All the rust was fixed, plus all new suspension, brakes, tires, seals, Evil clinic trans, etc, etc. The car has less flex than my car, which is as close to perfect as a factory body 914 gets.
The bad. Mike didn't have any patience, the final body and paint is brutal. It's definitely a 10 foot paint job...maybe a couple feet extra. biggrin.gif
That said it has decent quality paint, full coverage in and out.
Here's Mr Hyde's restoration thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113553

For now my wife is going to use it for her summer DD, she works at a mental hospital and minor vandalism has been known to happen. So I don't give a crap about the paint. We live in the country, I bet she'll put 10K miles on it a year for the next 4 years till her retirement. If she still has love for the car I'll repaint it after she retires.
She's driven bugs, busses, a T3 squareback and 914's since she was 19. My 914 is really her 914, she told me to buy it after she drove it, but she's always been pissed with me because I made it too powerful and I didn't want her to drive it in the rain.
Now she gets her very own stock engined 914 and it's a total driver. shades.gif

My 914 (rear, '74) is an 80's respray on a VGC white car. Looks like the wife's 914 colour, maybe a shade darker. The paint was fairly well done, things like the hoods the respray wraps around the lip. Everything was well masked, no overspray, they did the doors and jambs, but my trunks and engine bay interiors are white. It is what it is and because the trunks are so well done every non-p-car person thinks it just the way Porsche did it.
It's was a no sway bar 1.8 Ljet, it's a 3.0 conversion now.
Mark Henry
Look through the parts that were used on this car (link above) and you'll go "holy fuchs !!!". huh.gif blink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 8 2019, 03:29 PM) *

That’s cool! I’ve only seen that spoiler on the front car one other time. On mine. I destroyed it on my trailer with the straps... sad.gif

Yeah...it has a chunk missing, but the kid wants it, so I'm putting a good LE I have on it.
rgalla9146
I just read through to the end......not a word about the blessed event.
Oh ! the two orange cars !
I should have known, two new infants four years from retirement ?
EdwardBlume
cheer.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 9 2019, 07:16 AM) *

I just read through to the end......not a word about the blessed event.
Oh ! the two orange cars !
I should have known, two new infants four years from retirement ?

The wife said it was horrible pushing those puppies out. biggrin.gif
I'm pretty sure the twins will be fun in our retirement. wink.gif

I can't remember, do I have to remove the gas tank to swap the front sway bars?
Both 914's have the reinforced mounts welded in. Mike's old car has a tarett bar and my car has a stock bar.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Unobtanium-inc
I love twinsies, it's so rare to see. We were able to do it a couple of years ago with two Albert Blue 911's, but to be able to keep them makes them even cooler! Congrats!
aharder
Nice set of twins Mark !! beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 9 2019, 05:18 AM) *
Both 914's have the reinforced mounts welded in. Mike's old car has a tarett bar and my car has a stock bar.

Shouldnt have to, just unbolt the retaining collars, pull the bar out & replace with your choice of bar then reassemble. Depending on the weld in support you should have ample room to go bigger if that is your direction
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 9 2019, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 9 2019, 05:18 AM) *

Shouldnt have to, just unbolt the retaining collars, pull the bar out & replace with your choice of bar then reassemble. Depending on the weld in support you should have ample room to go bigger if that is your direction

Thanks, I was hoping you could. I can remember taking the tank out, but that was to weld the reinforcements in.
Swapping the Tarett bar that's in the wife's car with the stock bar in my 914.
No idea what the tarett bar size is, all I know it was from a 914world GB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.