Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sun Visors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Dario
Does anyone know what is the material inside the sun visor.
There is the vinyl skin, metal frame and ?????
Was it a foam or sand?
Does anyone know who can restore them, mine look find but sound like they are full of sand!Click to view attachment
mepstein
its ~1/2 sheet foam. After 40-50 years it starts to crumble. The challenge in "restoring" them is the seams were heat seemed, not sewn. There is a company that does reproductions that are good and a couple people who restore the cores to like new.
rgalla9146
It's foam inside.
I know that some have had success building a jig that has parallel surfaces to provide
a sort of form... like a sandwich.
Then expanding foam was injected into the pivot shaft openings.....Voila !
New 'soft' rigid form in the original envelope.
I suggest experimenting on your less 'pristine' examples
Dario
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 9 2019, 03:43 PM) *

It's foam inside.
I know that some have had success building a jig that has parallel surfaces to provide
a sort of form... like a sandwich.
Then expanding foam was injected into the pivot shaft openings.....Voila !
New 'soft' rigid form in the original envelope.
I suggest experimenting on your less 'pristine' examples

Thanks
I was thinking of making a mold and trying just that.
Thanks to all.
bbrock
I'm in the same boat. Haven't found a perfect solution, but found this interesting: https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.p...estoration-diy/ 914Rubber offers a visor core rebuild service but the vinyl is sewn on so don't match the originals perfectly.

I'm really interested in the spray foam approach. The only thing I could find with Google was someone mentioning they tried it with mixed results. I think if I tried it, I'd look at minimal expanding window foam which I believe sets up a little more flexible than the common stuff.
IDEFIX63
Hi

I have just finished mines... it's not a perfect job but better than a crispy 45years old one...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Mikey914
Nice job,
As you can see it's a lot of work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.