Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide steel wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KevinW
I came across a company in California that sells 7” wide steel wheels in 4 x 130. What is the correct offset/backspace for a narrow body 914? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kevin

I see 4.75”-5.00” is the correct backspace with a 7” or 8” rim.
Is 35mm the correct offset?
Mark Henry
15x6 ET36, 911 361 020 would be a common narrow body 5 bolt rim.
The 4 bolt fuchs is likely a similar ET IIRC.

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Rim/tire size comparison calculator.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
Mueller
I tried* to fit 15x7 with 23mm under the rear of my car and they stuck out about 20mm.

So a 30mm wouldn't work with stock rear fenders...that combo will work up front.

*I knew it wouldn't fit, just wanted to see how far out they would stick out.
KevinW
I want to get this right before I buy new wheels
Mark Henry
You likely can buy barrels and you could DIY with a custom offset. welder.gif

I've only done this on 24" tractor rims wink.gif Wasn't too hard.
914forme
agree.gif that is how it was done back in the day. You can stuff 7s in, old school guys used Chevy barrels and 914/vw centers.

laugh.gif Mark, I thought I was the only one that would weld a tractor rim.
Chris914n6
Offset for the rear depends on
1. if the fenders have been rolled
2. camber near stock or increased for AutoX handling
3. actual measured width of the tire (a 205 is rarely actually 205)

A 15x7 et23 will fit easily with a little extra camber
Stock is 15x5.5 et40

With too much offset you can add a spacer.

That website makes it alot easier to calculate.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 10 2019, 11:04 PM) *

agree.gif that is how it was done back in the day. You can stuff 7s in, old school guys used Chevy barrels and 914/vw centers.

laugh.gif Mark, I thought I was the only one that would weld a tractor rim.

I had no choice my old Fiat 640 (white 2-60) FWD tractor the front rims were shot, and you couldn't buy new, as they didn't make a lot of 4x4 in that model. Hardest or I should say most time intensive job was grinding out the old welds. The old centers fit the new barrels perfect and I just lined it up with a straight edge and a combination square.

With a car rim I likely would have set up more accurate measuring with a dial indicator, but that said at top gear (25+mph?) they run perfectly true.
IronHillRestorations
Don't take it to the bank, but I think the 49 ET (7" 911R) is the widest you can go on a 914 rear without too much trouble, and may require slight fender lip mod.
TargaToy
QUOTE(KevinW @ Feb 10 2019, 02:46 PM) *

I came across a company in California that sells 7” wide steel wheels in 4 x 130. What is the correct offset/backspace for a narrow body 914? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kevin

Would you feel comfortable sharing this wheel source? I’ve been thinking about widened steeliness for a long time.
Freezin 914
Hi Kevin, many people running 5 lug Fuchs 7’s with 23.3 ET on narrow bodies. I am no expert by any means. Could ask them to be sure. But I personally have taken pictures of cars and posts with the info the owners posted had posted. Knowing I am planning 7’s on some projects I am working on..
jcd914
I ran 15 x 7 cookie cutters with 23.3 offset and had barely a 1/4/inch clearance.
But the fender lips had been rolled using a baseball bat, lots of negative camber and 195/65 tires.

No way they would have cleared, had the fenders and alignment been stock.

When I auto-crossed the car I switched to 15 x 6 cookies so I could run 205/15 tires.

Jim

RolinkHaus
KevinW,

Post the link for steelies.
KevinW
PiersideParts.net
Under VW wheels
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.