Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member here. Looking for a lost family member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kiamya
Hello Gentlemen and I'm sure handful of woman. My names Anthony and I'm looking for a car my dad built in the late 70's, and unfortunately I dont have a vin.

When he sold it around 1982 it was a Black car with a dark red interior. Only distinguishing features would be custom fender flares and he welded the headlights flush.

I know this is a lonnngggg shot but closed mouths dont get fed lol I'll post acouple pictures below. Thank you guys.

AZBanks
welcome.png

Good luck on your search.
Kiamya
Click to view attachment
Kiamya
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Feb 11 2019, 03:40 PM) *

welcome.png

Good luck on your search.

Thank you AZBanks

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
VIN#?
76-914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 11 2019, 03:26 PM) *

VIN#?

poke.gif I know his opening sentence was a long one Rob but geez you could have read it to the end.
burton73
welcome.png

Nice car for the 70s.

Bob B
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 11 2019, 03:51 PM) *

VIN#?

poke.gif I know his opening sentence was a long one Rob but geez you could have read it to the end.

agree.gif slap.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png Good luck with the hunt assimilate.gif
Lucky9146
Any way you can track that license plate through DMV?
Good Luck!
clarkcou
Welded headlight covers make it very distinctive. Doubt that would have been put back to stock.

Kiamya
I'm not sure you can track it with the plate, there has to be a little anonymity I would think. But the car was painted around 1979, when the body work was done. Car was sold in 1982 in Mansfield Ohio area.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Kiamya @ Feb 12 2019, 08:07 AM) *

I'm not sure you can track it with the plate, there has to be a little anonymity I would think. But the car was painted around 1979, when the body work was done. Car was sold in 1982 in Mansfield Ohio area.

Motor vehicle registrations are a matte of public record but 1982-2018, 36 years is a long time.
tomeric914
Hard to tell, but it appears to be an Ohio plate.

Here is a link to the Ohio BMV to search by plate number https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/more-records-vrabstract.aspx
Mark Henry
Honestly you may never find this car and if you do it may be junk or the owner may inflate the price, if he even wants to sell.

You'd be better off to buy a nice black 914 and build a "tribute" car in honour of your dad.

welcome.png
krazykonrad
welcome.png
Kiamya
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Feb 12 2019, 12:38 PM' post='2688525']
Honestly you may never find this car and if you do it may be junk or the owner may inflate the price, if he even wants to sell.

You'd be better off to buy a nice black 914 and build a "tribute" car in honour of your dad.

Hes not too worried about it, he found a 914-6 that hes currently drooling over. But I would like the original car.

I appreciate all of your feedback guys. Thank you.
FlacaProductions
Can you locate who the insurance company was that covered the car back then? I was surprised that during my ongoing search, the insurance company actually had records - and my car was totaled in 1996. It's given me a couple of leads but nothing positive yet....but it may be something for you to pursue.

I'm on the hunt for 4732908732 - good luck with your search!
horizontally-opposed
Good news is that is a very distinctive car, black on red with the custom metalwork. I have only ever seen one black on red car out of CAMP 914 in Oregon, and it wasn't this car. Bummer is that means there's a very good chance that, whoever owns this, isn't a member here and may have had it on ice in a shed for a very long time.

The plate is your best bet, and any records hiding in a shoebox somewhere.

Good luck!

pete
shoguneagle
welcome.png jsharp.gif Welcome to 914world. Keep cooking on trying to locate your father's car. Impossible things do happen in the weirdest places and at different times. always comes as a surprise.

You will know when to build a "tribute car". I think you have to follow your path until you are satisfied. A tribute car is a great idea. Best wishes on the paths you will travel.

Steve Hurt
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 11 2019, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 11 2019, 03:51 PM) *

VIN#?

agree.gif slap.gif

Tough crowd. biggrin.gif

Still got love for ya, Rob. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
One other idea for the OP:

You might want to hire a private investigator. I know it sounds extreme, but it is amazing what they can find given their knowledge of the landscape of public records, etc. It's kind of like working on a car yourself or handing it over to a professional mechanic or painter. You might maybe achieve similar or better results, but probably not—and not as soon.
sixnotfour
welcome.png
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 14 2019, 09:57 AM) *

One other idea for the OP:

You might want to hire a private investigator. I know it sounds extreme, but it is amazing what they can find given their knowledge of the landscape of public records, etc. It's kind of like working on a car yourself or handing it over to a professional mechanic or painter. You might maybe achieve similar or better results, but probably not—and not as soon.

agree.gif Some PI's are extremely resourceful.
horizontally-opposed
The plate looks a lot like an Ohio plate from 1984—not only in terms of style and symbol but by the state & county markings and the registration stickers...

...and QUE (1982) > QYN (1984) makes sense. Could be QUE SS3, but sure looks like QUE 553 given Ohio's sequence. Either way, it's quite a head start on getting the VIN and maybe even tracking the car down. My 1973 914 is still wearing the same plate it wore in 1972, and if there are hurdles at the Ohio DMV, a PI might be your next best bet. If I had to take a guess, and the car still exists yet hasn't been seen here (by anyone), there's a chance it's been sitting in a garage or outside for a very long time.

Interesting wheels, too. Look BMW-ish, or are they Audi or VW? Or Vega/Monza?GM? Having a tough time recognizing them, but feel like I've seen them.
Larmo63
I think Pete wants to be a private investigator when he grows up.

Good work so far!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.