Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally have it at home...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
Other than draining the gas (been sitting for 4 years), the oil, Flushing the brake fluid and adjusting, turning the rotors (surface rust), checking and replacing all hoses, spark plugs, plug wires, air filter and a new battery. What else should I do to start her up without hurting her? confused24.gif
TravisNeff
I'd probably put it in 5th gear and roll it about 10ft fore and aft to see if your cylinders are free. Disconnect the coil and run hte starter until the oil light goes out - then hook it up and put the spurs to it??!?!?!?
montoya 73 2.0
It took some back and forthing to brake the cylinders free! Cool on the coil thing and hopefully she'll start after a few times driving.gif
Cano
Probably a good idea to change out the fuel filter, and check the lines for cracks.
markb
Check the tires for cracking, then make sure to replace the rubber brake lines & flush & refill with a good brake fluid, Other than that, what you've listed, & DRIVE IT!! Oh, & makes sure to have fun when you drive it. biggrin.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Thanks for your time and suggestions! i will get "r" done and report back to you all!!!!!!
jim912928
inspect all the rubber fuel lines very well..you don't want a fire from rotted out rubber hose!
redshift
jackstands: disassemble.

smile.gif

G'luck!

M
montoya 73 2.0
speaking of disassemble, where do i find a good engine stand? or does a table top/milk crate work fine?

When i buy the new battery, is there a specific one or whatever will fit? headbang.gif
mattillac
dry cell battery will fit no problem. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 22 2005, 08:44 AM)
When i buy the new battery, is there a specific one or whatever will fit?

optima orange top (or red top, which has the terminals reverse) ...

oh, and add the oil-filter to your list of things to replace ...

i'd probably rebuild the brake calipers too, while you're in there. sticky pistons is not fun ...
smash.gif Andy
montoya 73 2.0
so with the terminals reversed, do i have to lengthen the positive and negative cables? how much are we talking for one of these batteries?

good idea about the calipers also! they were stuck. is a caliper rebuild kit available?
SirAndy
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 22 2005, 10:47 AM)
so with the terminals reversed, do i have to lengthen the positive and negative cables?

i didn't have to, mine worked just fine.

but your milage may vary ...
wink.gif Andy
montoya 73 2.0
okay, bought the red top at lunch! looks cool and the guy who sold it to me raved about it!

what about a caliper rebuild kit?

where is a good place to buy/order parts for my car? here or a on-line store or ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.