Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency Brake Handle Rebuild Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
This may be a naive question, but I can't seem to find parts or an answer. Is it possible to rebuild the internals of the late 914 e-brake handle? I'm talking about the push rod, spring, etc. My push rod snapped when trying to remove the old plastic button and I can't figure out how to get the broken push rod out. I assumed this was similar to VW beetle assemblies which can be totally rebuilt, but perhaps that was a bad assumption.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks
bbrock
I just rebuilt mine so can say, yes, it can be taken completely apart. Now I'm trying to remember the trick to getting the push rod out as I remember it being a little stubborn. I know I had to remove the little "foot" on the bottom of the handle which just snaps out. I think it also requires removing the little ratchet pawl that moves when the rod is pushed. That, requires grinding off the peened on pin that holds the pawl in. The pin is still available and is not expensive. With the button and the above removed, the rod came out but required a little (not too much) force to remove. Most of the handle parts are still available but the push rod is showing as discontinued. sad.gif I ordered all the replacement parts from Sunset Porsche.

Also, the handle was glued on so tight on mine that I had to destroy it so I could repaint the handle body. For replacement, there are two options. Genuine Porsche has a matte finish that looks nice but doesn't match the original. Uro makes one that is a perfect match. They are about the same price. I have both here and will post a review on them when I get a chance.
mepstein
I think holding the handle in boiling water will loosen it.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2019, 06:46 PM) *

Where were you a month ago? poke.gif Actually, my handle was looking ratty anyway, so needed to be replaced, but I still would have saved it. smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 12 2019, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2019, 06:46 PM) *

Where were you a month ago? poke.gif Actually, my handle was looking ratty anyway, so needed to be replaced, but I still would have saved it. smile.gif

I’m pretty sure it was Bruce Stone who told me that trick. Maybe Mark Whitesell. I don’t remember.
aggiezig
Great tips. Thanks gents

I'll have to see if I can track down the push rod anywhere else
cary
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2019, 05:46 PM) *

Yep, every time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.