Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer

I'm getting ready to order the parts to put a new clutch in the 914. I had always heard, and will quote from Pelican, "There are two types of clutch discs available for the 914-4. The stock disc with four springs, and the early 911 disc with six." OK, I'll go along with that, six is better than four.

But, when I punched the part numbers into the WorldPac system, I came up with the following. 914-116-011-05 shows as a Sachs 6-spring disc and 901-116-014-00 also shows as a Sachs 6-spring disc.

Anyone know the difference between these two?

Part Pricer
icon_bump.gif
SLITS
The 05 is slotted for gas relief...as in friction materials produce a gas when brought to a high heat condition...in brakes, results in "fading"...in clutches would result in "slipping". Also, possibly a different material too.

Is the 05 touted as the "high performance" version?
groot
I've ordered several of these over the past year for the race car from Pelican. I've always ordered the 914 4-puck clutch and always received the -05 shown. It's working well for me.
Part Pricer

901-116-014-00 is the Porsche part number for the clutch for an early 911. This is the one that Pelican recommends for replacement in a 914 for "just a few dollars more".

914-116-011-05 is the Porsche part number for the clutch for a 4-cyl 914. Originally, this was a 4 spring clutch. Now, it looks like Sachs has replaced it with a 6 spring.

The price difference between the two is not minimal. Dealer cost on the 901-116-014-00 replacement is $137.52. Dealer cost on the 914-116-011-05 replacement is $57.33. That's a difference of $80.19.

What made the 911 clutch such a better alternative? What does the number of springs have to do with it?

I've left a message with Sachs customer support to see what the specs are of the two different discs. Hopefully, I'll hear today.
RustyWa
Please report back what you find out.
zymurgist
Babydoll's previous owner recommended using a clutch disc from a VW Bus. BusDepot.com sells these for $40.

Clutch replacement is one of the many things on Babydoll's "fix immediately!" list.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jun 22 2005, 03:31 PM)
Babydoll's previous owner recommended using a clutch disc from a VW Bus. BusDepot.com sells these for $40.

Clutch replacement is one of the many things on Babydoll's "fix immediately!" list.

ohmy.gif I don't think that will work... bus has different Fly and tranny...
RustyWa
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jun 22 2005, 01:31 PM)

I must say...calling your car Babydoll kinda freaks me out.

wink.gif
zymurgist
Babydoll's not my car... she belongs to a hawt little redhead who can get away with giving her car cute names. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.